I'm back: Friend has ER/PR -; Her2+

pitt
pitt Member Posts: 387
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone! I'm back to actively reading the boards and need a little advice for my friend. She just had ultrasound biopsy: ER/PR neg; Her2 pos. She is having a PET scan tomorrow and is still interviewing surgeons. Tumor is 2 inches, high grade IDC. They want to start chemo soon and surgery after it shrinks. Providing the PET shows no other issues, what can she expect in the next few weeks? I've given her the website to come on here. I'm hoping reading this post will help her get started. Thanks. Pitt

Comments

• MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Pitt, welcome back!! I just
    Pitt, welcome back!! I just minutes before you started this thread made a comment on another one that I was missing some of our "old" sisters. I specifically mentioned "Pitt" AND here you are! How are YOU???

I unfortunately don't have any advice for your friend that has recently been dx's but I'm sure we'll have a sister/brother come along to share information.
  • pitt
    MyTurnNow said:

Pitt, welcome back!! I just minutes before you started this thread made a comment on another one that I was missing some of our "old" sisters. I specifically mentioned "Pitt" AND here you are! How are YOU???

I unfortunately don't have any advice for your friend that has recently been dx's but I'm sure we'll have a sister/brother come along to share information.

Hello again! I know, I've
    Hello again! I know, I've been so busy lately getting back into the things I love doing that I rarely have time to write. I have been reading here and there, but not the way I used to! I'm doing great and getting my life/my body/and on some days my energy back. (The brain has yet to play along!) It's a long road but a joyous one. The kids are feeling safe again, now that mommy looks and feels better. I've been swimming and lifting weights. I've also been painting and doing the things that used to give me joy...trying to cut down on stress. How are you? We went through so much together, I really want to know where you are in everything!!! Pitt
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Hey Pitt. Sorry about your
    Hey Pitt. Sorry about your friend. I can't really give any advice either.

I do wish her good luck with the scan tomorrow.

♥ Noel
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Hi Pitt
    I am really sorry to hear about your friend. She's lucky that she has a caring
    friend like you and one that will understand what she goes through.

I had the same diagnosis but was not as big. I first opted for a lumpectomy since
    that was recommended to me. Didn't get clear margins, so had to go in again.

Then I started chemo 5 treatments of Taxotere, Carbo and Herceptin. I am still doing
    herceptin, had to do that for one year. Herceptin by itself is really not so bad, Symptoms
    are like a mild flu. It has proven very effective with HER2+ cancers.

Because of the high grade, mine was 3. My doctor also wanted me to do radiation but
    after meeting with a radiologist I really, really didn't want to do it. And I had plenty of
    time to think everything over by now. I decided to go with a mastectomy and my doctor
    said, that radiation would no longer be needed. I am nearing the end of my treatment.
    Just a couple treatments away.

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • pitt
    aysemari said:

Hi Pitt
    I am really sorry to hear about your friend. She's lucky that she has a caring
    friend like you and one that will understand what she goes through.

I had the same diagnosis but was not as big. I first opted for a lumpectomy since
    that was recommended to me. Didn't get clear margins, so had to go in again.

Then I started chemo 5 treatments of Taxotere, Carbo and Herceptin. I am still doing
    herceptin, had to do that for one year. Herceptin by itself is really not so bad, Symptoms
    are like a mild flu. It has proven very effective with HER2+ cancers.

Because of the high grade, mine was 3. My doctor also wanted me to do radiation but
    after meeting with a radiologist I really, really didn't want to do it. And I had plenty of
    time to think everything over by now. I decided to go with a mastectomy and my doctor
    said, that radiation would no longer be needed. I am nearing the end of my treatment.
    Just a couple treatments away.

Hugs,
    Ayse

Ayse, Thanks
    Ayse, Thanks for the information. My friend did tell me last night that she has at least 3 lymph nodes involved. The PET scan was rescheduled because the hospital couldn't reach her insurance company (that dept was closed due to the storms)!!! REally??? She has a card but they won't do the test because they can't verify what her copay will be? STUPID!!! Anyway, she will have the PET on Friday and interviewing an ocologist on Monday. Has anyone had both a PT and a Bone scan? I thought just the PT was enough?
  • new2me
    new2me Member Posts: 177 Member
    pitt said:

Ayse, Thanks
    Ayse, Thanks for the information. My friend did tell me last night that she has at least 3 lymph nodes involved. The PET scan was rescheduled because the hospital couldn't reach her insurance company (that dept was closed due to the storms)!!! REally??? She has a card but they won't do the test because they can't verify what her copay will be? STUPID!!! Anyway, she will have the PET on Friday and interviewing an ocologist on Monday. Has anyone had both a PT and a Bone scan? I thought just the PT was enough?

I am Her 2 + also (or should i say was)
    I chose to have a lumpectomy - 2 lumph nodes were involved. They took out 15. I had 6 treatments of Taxotere, carboplatin and a year of Herceptin (still on herceptin till JUne) Herceptin is a piece of cake. I have also just started radiation on Monday of this week. Again, - piece of cake. I was considered at a Stage II grade II. I had a PET scan, CT scan, bone scan, muga scan and ECHO. Because herceptin is hard on the heart, they monitor me every 3 months with an ECHO. All the scan were easy and pain free. the reason my Oncologist wanted all the scan was to see if any cancer had spread throughout - Thank God, it had not. I am scheduled to do the CT & PET scan again in April. Again, this is to look for any stray cancer cells. My Oncologis told me that to have o lymph nodes involved is of course ideal but the NEXT best is to have only 2-3 involved.
    I hope I have answered some of your questions.... anything else just ask.

prayers for your friend,
    Kelly