Gap between Surgery and Radiotherapy

renukagowda
renukagowda Member Posts: 29
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
What is the usual Gap between Surgery and Radiotherapy,as yesterday the surgeon removed the stitches and he told us to go for RT after a month and the other doctor is telling to getting it done with in 2 weeks,
My mom underwent surgery on 2nd Jan
Wats ur opinion guys

Comments

• jendrey
    jendrey Member Posts: 377
    Started chemo about a month after surgery and started radiation about 8 weeks after chemo ended.
  • ShirleyCurls
    ShirleyCurls Member Posts: 51
    It really depend on type,
    and lots of other factors. I had chemo and radition as the same time. It was brutal. After rads, I has surgery and more chemo!

I highly recommend Dr. Susan Love's Breast Book. It helped me a lot. There is a new 2010 edition, ISBN 978-0-7382-13590
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    I started rads about 6 weeks
    I started rads about 6 weeks after my lumpectomy.

Good luck to your Mom.

Leeza
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    We're all different and our
    We're all different and our treatment is different. For me (IBC), I had 12 more weeks of Chemo (Taxol) starting 3 weeks after surgery. I started radiation a week after the last of the Chemo.

Susan

edit added: I had 4 A/C 2 weeks apart before surgery and surgery was 2 weeks after last A/C.
  • renukagowda
    jnl said:

I started rads about 6 weeks
    I started rads about 6 weeks after my lumpectomy.

Good luck to your Mom.

Leeza

thank u
    thanks guys
  • Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000

thank u
    thanks guys

Like Rague wrote, we are all
    Like Rague wrote, we are all different. My rads treatments were about 6 weeks after I had my lumpectomy surgery. They want to allow you time to heal before starting rads.

Hugs, Megan
  • Betsy13
    Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
    Each Doctor is different
    so our treatments our different. For myself, I had lumpectomy in mid-February 2010 and
    started radiation mid-April 2010. They wanted to wait about 6 weeks for me to heal from surgery so they could do a new baseline mammogram. Then, since I teach, they did the baseline mammogram before Spring break, I went to Florida, came home and started radiation. My Rad. Onc. told me they want to start radiation within 3 months of surgery (I don't remember why, though).

Hope this helps...
    Hugs ~
    Betsy
  • renukagowda
    Betsy13 said:

Each Doctor is different
    so our treatments our different. For myself, I had lumpectomy in mid-February 2010 and
    started radiation mid-April 2010. They wanted to wait about 6 weeks for me to heal from surgery so they could do a new baseline mammogram. Then, since I teach, they did the baseline mammogram before Spring break, I went to Florida, came home and started radiation. My Rad. Onc. told me they want to start radiation within 3 months of surgery (I don't remember why, though).

Hope this helps...
    Hugs ~
    Betsy

thanks for info

thanks for info
  • lanie940
    lanie940 Member Posts: 490 Member
    I had surgery on the 30th of
    I had surgery on the 30th of July 2009 (lumpectomy)I had the "Oncotype DX" test done, which took awhile to come back with results. I then had to have hernia surgery in early October, so, I didn't start radiation until 3rd week in October. Unfortunately, I then got really ill after only 2 weeks of RADs, but it was because I was in the hosp.for 6 days with dehydration(not related to the RADS) but because I was DX'ed with Celiac disease. SO, I got a break form the RADs, I went back on the RADs, was finished the thursday before Christmas weekend. BUT then I was in the hosp again for electrolyte imbalance (from the celiac). But like others have said everyone is different. A lady I met this past Fall of 2010 just finished her Chemo 2 weeks ago and she said she was starting her RADs this week.
  • Charliebutts
    Charliebutts Member Posts: 9

thanks for info

thanks for info

I need answers
    I hope i don't sound dumb and that they don't tell us anything but today i have been looking at pathological report from my biopsy in sept. they found i have invasive ductal carcinoma. i had lump removal and they they got it all and it had not spreaded and i had 4 rounds of chemo (T/C) and i will starting 34 radations treatments. today things have geeting on my nerves i can't stop wondering if i am ok or are they just keeping me busy. am i triple neg. because this report says the ERICA and PRICA are negative and all these scores are low and the cancer is moderately to poorly differentiated. This is Saturday and for some reason i a scare today. you think they are keeping something from me I am65 and no others problems. The chemo was good no side affects other than loss of hair.
  • Charliebutts
    Charliebutts Member Posts: 9

I need answers
    I hope i don't sound dumb and that they don't tell us anything but today i have been looking at pathological report from my biopsy in sept. they found i have invasive ductal carcinoma. i had lump removal and they they got it all and it had not spreaded and i had 4 rounds of chemo (T/C) and i will starting 34 radations treatments. today things have geeting on my nerves i can't stop wondering if i am ok or are they just keeping me busy. am i triple neg. because this report says the ERICA and PRICA are negative and all these scores are low and the cancer is moderately to poorly differentiated. This is Saturday and for some reason i a scare today. you think they are keeping something from me I am65 and no others problems. The chemo was good no side affects other than loss of hair.

nothing sounds like me
    I have to add this. I have been reading about all of you and I can't relate. I learn about creams and what to expect from rad. I just read and wonder.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    We are all different
    I had surgery in June and didn't start chemo until August. Finished chemo Dec 7 and started rads Jan 6, 2011.
    Char
  • renukagowda
    cahjah75 said:

We are all different
    I had surgery in June and didn't start chemo until August. Finished chemo Dec 7 and started rads Jan 6, 2011.
    Char

ok

ok
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Betsy13 said:

Each Doctor is different

Hope this helps...
    Hugs ~
    Betsy

Started rads about 6 weeks
    Started rads about 6 weeks after my surgery. I had a lumpectomy.

Kylez
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I had surgery end of March
    I had surgery end of March 2008 and started radiation about April 20th! so about a month for me!
  • beetle25
    beetle25 Member Posts: 150 Member

I had surgery end of March
    I had surgery end of March 2008 and started radiation about April 20th! so about a month for me!

I had surgery at the end of
    I had surgery at the end of July 2010 and started radiation at the end of August.