Reconstruction and Chemo at the same time

JoAnn4818
JoAnn4818 Member Posts: 83
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,

I'm new to this board and have traveled alone way too long on my breast cancer journey. Everyone here sounds so supportive and caring. I hope someone can help.

I had a lump biopsied in my left breast 3 years ago and was told it was OK. It still bothered me so they took it out last September just so I would stop worrying. It turned out to be a 3.4 cm, Stage II, Grade 3, triple negative invasive ductal carcenoma. Since the surgeon didn't think it was malignant, she didn't remove the surronding tissue. I had a lumpectomy in October, but I didn't get clear margins. I switched to a larger cancer center and had a successful single mastectomy and an expander inserted in December. I'll be starting dense dose TAC chemotherapy on Thursday and the plastic surgeon said he could continue filling the expander while I was on chemo as long as my blood counts are good. Has anyone else continued filling the expanders while on chemo? It hurts and I don't know if I can tolerate both. I have to return to work full time when my disability ends at the end of this month.

I'm much more scared of chemo than I was for any of the surgeries. It doesn't help to be triple negative - but I've read alot of posts here from people with it. If anyone has any advice about the chemo I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!!!
JoAnn

Comments

• joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Another Triple Negative JoAnn
    Hi JoAnn.
    Welcome to the board...you'll find very supportive warriors here to help you in your journey.
    I was DX as Stage 1C, IDC, Triple Negative and had 2 lumpectomies (to get clear margins) and 4 Chemo treatments of Cytoxan/Taxotere and 2 treatments of Cytoxan/Taxol which I just finished on 1/7/11. I should be starting 6.5 weeks of radiation in February.
    Honestly, Chemo was not as bad as I had expected--the fear was worse.
    I had some side effects and lost my hair, but each of us are different. I had teeth problems and had to take antibiotics, burning soles, itchy rash, tender fingers, swollen ankles (which is when I was switched off of Taxotere), constipation, diareah and just a little bit of nausea on the last 2 rounds.
    Your onc can give you medicines to handle any of the side effects, except hair loss and well, that will grow back (I believe--I'm still waiting).
    I don't know about expanders, but others will be able to tell you about their experiences.
    Chemo isn't fun but it is doable.
    Good luck and try not to be afraid--you can do this!!
    Hugs,
    JoAnn
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    I also HAD triple negative breast cancer. I had a complete axillary dissection in 12/2009 and a right mastectomy in 2/2010. Stage IIa. A tissue expander was put in by the plastic surgeon during the mastectomy. 16 rounds of chemo followed the surgery - 4 rounds of A/C and 12 of T (Taxotere). No radiation. My last chemo was in 8/2010.

My oncologist was very clear on this one point: No procedures of any kind during chemotherapy. That included any filling of the tissue expander and certainly no surgery. It was his opinion that during chemo you tend to get immune-suppressed and are subject to infection. He did not want a needle piercing my skin and definitely no incisions and no foreign bodies being placed (i.e. an implant).

I could write a short book on side effects of chemotherapy. Suffice it to say that I did fine on the A/C (except for losing ALL my hair, and fatigue) and had SIGNIFICANT problems on the Taxotere including vomiting, diarrhea (which resulted in dehydration), fatigue, watery eyes, damage to fingernails, lack of desire to eat and change in my taste buds. I lost 45 pounds. There is something to be said about being overweight to start with.

It is now almost 6 months since my last chemo. My hair is growing back. I am looking less like Telly Savalas and more like Halle Berry/Julie Andrews/Michele Williams. My eyes do continue to water like a faucet. My energy level is not 100% normal but it is substantially improved. I will be starting an exercise class at the Y this week called Living Strong Living Well and am also going to physical therapy to improve the range of motion and flexibility in my right shoulder. I have every reason to believe that I will live many more healthy years.
  • JoAnn4818

I also HAD triple negative breast cancer. I had a complete axillary dissection in 12/2009 and a right mastectomy in 2/2010. Stage IIa. A tissue expander was put in by the plastic surgeon during the mastectomy. 16 rounds of chemo followed the surgery - 4 rounds of A/C and 12 of T (Taxotere). No radiation. My last chemo was in 8/2010.

My oncologist was very clear on this one point: No procedures of any kind during chemotherapy. That included any filling of the tissue expander and certainly no surgery. It was his opinion that during chemo you tend to get immune-suppressed and are subject to infection. He did not want a needle piercing my skin and definitely no incisions and no foreign bodies being placed (i.e. an implant).

I could write a short book on side effects of chemotherapy. Suffice it to say that I did fine on the A/C (except for losing ALL my hair, and fatigue) and had SIGNIFICANT problems on the Taxotere including vomiting, diarrhea (which resulted in dehydration), fatigue, watery eyes, damage to fingernails, lack of desire to eat and change in my taste buds. I lost 45 pounds. There is something to be said about being overweight to start with.

It is now almost 6 months since my last chemo. My hair is growing back. I am looking less like Telly Savalas and more like Halle Berry/Julie Andrews/Michele Williams. My eyes do continue to water like a faucet. My energy level is not 100% normal but it is substantially improved. I will be starting an exercise class at the Y this week called Living Strong Living Well and am also going to physical therapy to improve the range of motion and flexibility in my right shoulder. I have every reason to believe that I will live many more healthy years.

Thanks!!
    Both of you have had A LOT of side effects with chemo. I think I would really rather wait until after chemo to continue with inflating the expanders. I think chemo is going to be enough to deal with. Thanks for the info - I really needed to hear from someone who's been through it!

JoAnn
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    JoAnn4818 said:

Thanks!!
    Both of you have had A LOT of side effects with chemo. I think I would really rather wait until after chemo to continue with inflating the expanders. I think chemo is going to be enough to deal with. Thanks for the info - I really needed to hear from someone who's been through it!

JoAnn

Well of course we are all on
    Well of course we are all on different chemo regimens but I did TAC, and continued to have
    fills in my expander with no issues. Now, the problem I did have had to do with radiation.
    It left scar tissue which caused hardening once I had the implant exchange. However , I just had a simple proceedure to correct that little problem and now the breast feels soft and normal again.So chemo probably wont cause any problem with expander fills, but if you plan to have rads, you may want to wait awhile to get the implant.
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    dyaneb123 said:

Well of course we are all on
    Well of course we are all on different chemo regimens but I did TAC, and continued to have
    fills in my expander with no issues. Now, the problem I did have had to do with radiation.
    It left scar tissue which caused hardening once I had the implant exchange. However , I just had a simple proceedure to correct that little problem and now the breast feels soft and normal again.So chemo probably wont cause any problem with expander fills, but if you plan to have rads, you may want to wait awhile to get the implant.

I had my expanders filled
    I had my expanders filled while I was on chemo and there was no problem. You should only need the filling done a couple times so it really should not interfere with your chemo. Also, i did not find it to be painful, maybe just a liittle uncomfortable for a bit.
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    JoAnn4818 said:

Thanks!!

JoAnn

Hi JoAnn. I had a
    Hi JoAnn. I had a lumpectomy and no chemo, but, wanted to say good luck to you. I know those that have been through this will post more for you.

Good luck,

Debby
  • JoAnn4818
    meena1 said:

I had my expanders filled
    I had my expanders filled while I was on chemo and there was no problem. You should only need the filling done a couple times so it really should not interfere with your chemo. Also, i did not find it to be painful, maybe just a liittle uncomfortable for a bit.

Everybody is Different
    I really appreciate the responses! What I really understand now is that everybody reacts to chemo differently. I'll wait and see how it affects me. I get more afraid every day - whatever happens I'll be glad when I get the first one over with on Thursday!

JoAnn
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    JoAnn4818 said:

Everybody is Different
    I really appreciate the responses! What I really understand now is that everybody reacts to chemo differently. I'll wait and see how it affects me. I get more afraid every day - whatever happens I'll be glad when I get the first one over with on Thursday!

JoAnn

Chemo tips
    Hi JoAnn,
    Before my first chemo I called the office to see how long I should expect to be there. I was told 6 hours. I brought snacks, lots of water (you need to flush the medicine out of your system and should start upping your water now), reading materials, a blanket and a notebook in case I needed to write anything down.
    My cocktail had benedryl and atavan in it so I slept a lot of the time.
    There was no pain during the infusion other than the needle prick to set up the intravenous line. Before hand, they gave me a blood test each time to make sure my blood counts were high enough to receive the chemo.
    After chemo I went out to eat and felt pretty good (all things considered) for that day and the next (I had chemo on Friday). On Sunday I had to get a neulasta shot (to help make white blood cells) and after that, I would sleep all afternoon. On Monday, Tuesday & Wednesday I would have bone ache for which I took extra strength tylenol. There was very little nausea because they gave me Emend to take for 2 days following chemo. The other side effects usually didn't appear until the week after treatment. I worked the entire time except for 2 days each cycle (the Friday of treatment and either Monday or Tuesday the next week).
    Try not to be too afraid...you'll make through--we have, as you can see by the posts.
    Good luck and lots of hugs,
    JoAnn