I was selected.

roseann4
roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I received a call yesterday from a research group from Yale. They are doing research on weight and breast cancer. They believe weight loss can reduce recurrence rates in those of us who are weight challenged. it is a six month program starting in Feb. I hope I'm in the group that gets weekly face to face counseling. The second group gets monthly phone support and the third gets info but manage on their own. The goal is to get insurane companies to pay for these thing like they do for heart and stroke patients. Cool deal.

Roseann

Comments

• pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    I need something like that...
    Just can't seem to shake the weight gain! Thinking about joining weight watchers or something. It's hard to get out to excercise, hard to get motivated when your tired, blah blah blah!!

Keep us posted, Roseann

Patti
  • LVG
    LVG Member Posts: 128
    Now this sounds
    Now this sounds interesting...
    Will certainly look for your updates.
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    LVG said:

Now this sounds

I'll post the info when I get it.
    Anyone interested in starting a weight loss support team on this site? Could be fun and give us the encouragement we all need. My surgeon told me that our survival rate improves with every seven lbs we lose.

Roseann
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    It is so exciting to be a
    It is so exciting to be a part of research. I am thrilled for you! You are doing a wonderful thing for all of us.
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    We have a biggest looser in
    We have a biggest looser in our office. Seven guys and 3 girls. The guys are dropping percentages of body weight like crazy. Non of us girls dropped a pound. One is a breastfeeding new mom, one exercises every day (treadmill), and I just watch what I eat. I think it's much harder for the female species to lose weight for some reason. Driving us crazy.

Wish there was a magic pill.

Good luck, cindy
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Snowkitty said:

We have a biggest looser in our office. Seven guys and 3 girls. The guys are dropping percentages of body weight like crazy. Non of us girls dropped a pound. One is a breastfeeding new mom, one exercises every day (treadmill), and I just watch what I eat. I think it's much harder for the female species to lose weight for some reason. Driving us crazy.

Good luck, cindy

Good for you
    I would love having some sort of support system. I did good at walking and watching what I ate till all this started. Most days by the time I get home from work I am to tired to walk or do anything, so that means I usually do not eat as good as I should either. Just excuses, I know I would feel better if I did some exercise. Keep us posted on how this goes, sounds exciting. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
    If anyone wants to start something here I would be interested
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    It would be wonderful to
    It would be wonderful to have insurance cover weight loss/management programs for EVERYONE! Not just those who have become seriously ill.

Let us know how you do. I look forward to hearing more.

Hugs,

Linda
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

It would be wonderful to
    It would be wonderful to have insurance cover weight loss/management programs for EVERYONE! Not just those who have become seriously ill.

Let us know how you do. I look forward to hearing more.

Hugs,

Linda

that IS eally cool and I
    that IS eally cool and I hope it helps you out!
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    carkris said:

that IS eally cool and I
    that IS eally cool and I hope it helps you out!

how very exciting!!!
    how very exciting!!! Before I was a cancer patient, I always thought cancer patients LOST weight, NOT ME!!!!

I am so happy for you :) Good luck, I hope you get in the group you want to be in.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Roseann
    I hope you get in the face to face group too. This sounds very interesting. When I rejoined WW I was hoping to have immediate results but I'm still dealing with occasional swelling in the ankles & legs. I am going tomorrow for another weigh in. I'm so disgusted with myself since I now weigh 35 lbs more than December 09. I'm not sure yet whether Arimidex will be a problem in losing efforts. You'll have to keep us informed as time goes on.

As for our CT get together, I don't finish rads til mid February so maybe we should wait til snow is gone, eh!
    Char
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Roseann
    I hope you get in the face to face group too. This sounds very interesting. When I rejoined WW I was hoping to have immediate results but I'm still dealing with occasional swelling in the ankles & legs. I am going tomorrow for another weigh in. I'm so disgusted with myself since I now weigh 35 lbs more than December 09. I'm not sure yet whether Arimidex will be a problem in losing efforts. You'll have to keep us informed as time goes on.

As for our CT get together, I don't finish rads til mid February so maybe we should wait til snow is gone, eh!
    Char

Roseann .. Congradulations, this is such a wonderful
    opportunity ... Awesome! Please keep us updated on how things are going!

So proud of you!

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    This sounds like
    a really good thing. I hope you are able to get in the face to face group. I think this would be great to be able to get insurance companies to pay for all the help we need. I have not gained any weight through my battle but it may be because I did not have chemo. I do go to water aerobics twice a week and I know that is helping me in many ways.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    LVG said:

Now this sounds

Sounds like a fantastic
    Sounds like a fantastic opportunity. Good luck and keep us updated.

Jan
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    So Cool
    Keep us posted. I have joined the ranks of weight challange after cancer and chemo. I blamed it on the Tamoxafin and wanted to be taken off of it. My female onc told me that I would remain on the Tamoxafin and to go workout. You gotta love that onc. She cares and tells you like it is.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Snowkitty said:

Good luck, cindy

This does sound exciting.
    This does sound exciting. Anything that will get us closer to a cure!

Thanks!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    VickiSam said:

Roseann .. Congradulations, this is such a wonderful
    opportunity ... Awesome! Please keep us updated on how things are going!

So proud of you!

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam

This does sound cool!
    This does sound cool! Wishing you good luck and keep us updated.

Diane