Hair is back!!!

a1axelady
a1axelady Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I got my first haircut since chemo Thurs night. I now can be out in public and when some one sees me the first thought that comes to mind wont be "Cancer patient". Im just a redhead with a really cute pixie cut.:)

Comments

• susie09
    susie09 Member Posts: 2,930
    Congratulations! I am so
    Congratulations! I am so happy for you! I know how huge this is to get that first haircut.

Enjoy it,

Susie
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    susie09 said:

Congratulations! I am so
    Congratulations! I am so happy for you! I know how huge this is to get that first haircut.

Enjoy it,

Susie

Congratulations ..! May I ask you a question ? When
    was your last chemo treatments? The reason is .. I finished my TCH chemo cocktails back in late December 2009 -- and I notice nubs about 3/18/10 -- about 3 months .. didn't get my first trim until end of August .. seems like it my new hair FOREVER to grow .. maybe that's because I continued with Herceptin chemo until late August 2010. I just now feeling more and more new growth - perhaps thickening ?

Vicki Sam
  • Pinkpower
    Pinkpower Member Posts: 437
    Pics? I would love to see
    Pics? I would love to see the pixie cut. Dont know what to do with my hair, its coming in all crazy and hard to style.

Lupe
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Pinkpower said:

Pics? I would love to see
    Pics? I would love to see the pixie cut. Dont know what to do with my hair, its coming in all crazy and hard to style.

Lupe

Hello redhead with the pixie
    Hello redhead with the pixie haircut! LOL I bet you look beautiful. Post a pic?

And, congrats.

Angie
  • EllenaMaria
    EllenaMaria Member Posts: 69
    Angie2U said:

Hello redhead with the pixie
    Hello redhead with the pixie haircut! LOL I bet you look beautiful. Post a pic?

And, congrats.

Angie

It is like we are reborn.
    I envy you so much. When I saw Maura Tierney's picture with her cute pixy hairdo I thought how much I would love to be at that point. I have a coworker with a pixy cut and mine is not quite long enough. She asked if I would show her my real hair before anyone else in the office when I decide to take off my wig. That made me feel nice.

I finished chemo 7/12/10 and noticed stubble mid Sept. It is only 2" now. Sooooo slow. I wear a wig and really am tired of it. Because I have not told any friends/neighbors really they are going to be really shocked when I start not wearing the wig. My hair grew in really dark brown and luckily my wig is dark underneath and dark blond on top. Everyone will just think I got a really short haircut.
  • CeeCee410
    CeeCee410 Member Posts: 19
    And I'll bet you look
    And I'll bet you look fantastic! Congratulations!!

My last chemo treatment was in August, 2010 and I'm at the point where I could go without my wig, but with this winter weather it helps keep my head warm and I'm actually pretty attached to the color/style after wearing all these months.

As a side note, we were out last night for a family dinner. The server came over to refill the coffee, and she told my 4 yr. old daughter that she has beautiful hair (which she does). My daughter thought the server was talking to me, so she proceeded to give the server a lengthy explanation that my hair is actually a wig, but my real hair is growing back, etc. etc. It's not the first time my children have blew my cover, so I just laughed it off and the server graciously said to me that she would have never known.
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Congrats on the hair. Mine
    Congrats on the hair. Mine started coming back really slow, then it took off, thick, curly, I love it!! In my picture, i'm on the left, my son, then my daughter on the right. That's how much hair in one year since my last chemo, I've had it cut twice. Glad you have yours back and happy hair growing
    Kari
  • aztec45
    aztec45 Member Posts: 757
    Congrats
    Congrats on your new do. My hair has been growing for the past year. I decided to keep my hair the same color it grew back in....white. It was like Moses going to the mountain and each time he did, his hair got whiter and whiter. So I left it as sort of a war ribbon. Anyway, I left my hair white and have not cut it yet. I have just let if grow in wild. When it gets to a certain length, I will cut it for Locks for Love.

Enjoy your hair. I hated losing mine. I love having it back.
  • VickiSam
    aztec45 said:

Congrats
    Congrats on your new do. My hair has been growing for the past year. I decided to keep my hair the same color it grew back in....white. It was like Moses going to the mountain and each time he did, his hair got whiter and whiter. So I left it as sort of a war ribbon. Anyway, I left my hair white and have not cut it yet. I have just let if grow in wild. When it gets to a certain length, I will cut it for Locks for Love.

Enjoy your hair. I hated losing mine. I love having it back.

Like Kari .. My hair is just about the same length .. a little
    shorter in the back. Werid thing is that I thought that my hair would be much longer == as I had in set in my mind that I would have 12 inches -- all the same length, and texture. My hair would be flowing down to my shoulders -- all of it, which includes my sides which are about 1/2 pass my ears now. UGH! oh well at least I have hair, right. LOL

Wishing and crossing my fingers for rapid hair growth -- for us all.

Vicki Sam
  • a1axelady
    a1axelady Member Posts: 4
    VickiSam said:

Like Kari .. My hair is just about the same length .. a little
    shorter in the back. Werid thing is that I thought that my hair would be much longer == as I had in set in my mind that I would have 12 inches -- all the same length, and texture. My hair would be flowing down to my shoulders -- all of it, which includes my sides which are about 1/2 pass my ears now. UGH! oh well at least I have hair, right. LOL

Wishing and crossing my fingers for rapid hair growth -- for us all.

Vicki Sam

VickiSam, My last chemo was
    VickiSam, My last chemo was at the end of Aug. My hair grows really fast. It always has been like that and Im glad to see that chemo didnt change that. But... my hair was always stick straight and fine and it came back really wavy and thick. It definatly wants to lay the way it wants to lay. The back and sides came in faster and longer than the top so i needed to get it trimmed at least or it sorta winged out like a clown wig. Ive colored it 3 times now. First time because it was coming in real likght and you couldnt see that I had hair. The last two times just because my hair grows so fast I get roots quick. And I colored it red because Ive always had red hair.

If i get brave Ill put a pic up. I always hate getting my pic taken. I would much rather be the photographer.

Dena
  • VickiSam
    a1axelady said:

VickiSam, My last chemo was
    VickiSam, My last chemo was at the end of Aug. My hair grows really fast. It always has been like that and Im glad to see that chemo didnt change that. But... my hair was always stick straight and fine and it came back really wavy and thick. It definatly wants to lay the way it wants to lay. The back and sides came in faster and longer than the top so i needed to get it trimmed at least or it sorta winged out like a clown wig. Ive colored it 3 times now. First time because it was coming in real likght and you couldnt see that I had hair. The last two times just because my hair grows so fast I get roots quick. And I colored it red because Ive always had red hair.

If i get brave Ill put a pic up. I always hate getting my pic taken. I would much rather be the photographer.

Dena

Dena .. I agree .. my back came in so quickly - faster than
    than any other part of my scalp. funny thing .. is that I took matters into my own hands - cuz, I was tired and bore so I tried to dye my new freash ..virgin hair a chesnut brown and ended up with .. bozo red... Yep, I sported that look for several months . . no stylist would touch my hair .. so I continually dyed my new virgin hair darker every couple of months... It's taken so long to get my hair back to it natural color (low lights and high lights) same coloring -- B4 I lost my hair to my TCH chemo cocktails. Took so long -- but I am finally where I needed to be .. color wise..

I would never recommend dying your own hair .. usless you know what your are doing. LOL

Vicki Sam
  • EllenaMaria
    EllenaMaria Member Posts: 69
    VickiSam said:

Dena .. I agree .. my back came in so quickly - faster than
    than any other part of my scalp. funny thing .. is that I took matters into my own hands - cuz, I was tired and bore so I tried to dye my new freash ..virgin hair a chesnut brown and ended up with .. bozo red... Yep, I sported that look for several months . . no stylist would touch my hair .. so I continually dyed my new virgin hair darker every couple of months... It's taken so long to get my hair back to it natural color (low lights and high lights) same coloring -- B4 I lost my hair to my TCH chemo cocktails. Took so long -- but I am finally where I needed to be .. color wise..

I would never recommend dying your own hair .. usless you know what your are doing. LOL

Vicki Sam

Does hair color go back to normal?
    I have read so many posts about hair coming in different color. Does it ever change back to original color? My coworker says hers came in white but it is now brown. I have not had time to ask her if she colors it now.

I too have noticed my hair growning in wild, still straight but my part is now on the other side and it all seems to be growing with cowlicks I don't recall ever having.
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440

I have read so many posts about hair coming in different color. Does it ever change back to original color? My coworker says hers came in white but it is now brown. I have not had time to ask her if she colors it now.

I too have noticed my hair growning in wild, still straight but my part is now on the other side and it all seems to be growing with cowlicks I don't recall ever having.

EllenaMaria
    My hair came back curly and a bit more gray.
    Got my first haircut last week: )
    It was about a year after treatments chemo and rads!
    I waited until I just could'nt stand it any more.
    But love the new due and I'm not going to grow it long like i had it before, the shorter hair is much easier for me to take care of.
    And yes, like Vicki Sam said if your going to color it, go too a pro..to this day I think of her Bozo red and stick with the little gray that came in, LOL Vicki Sam

Karie
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

Congrats on your hair coming
    Congrats on your hair coming back and getting your first haircut! Bet you look marvelous!

Lex
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Congrats on the hair. Mine
    Congrats on the hair. Mine started coming back really slow, then it took off, thick, curly, I love it!! In my picture, i'm on the left, my son, then my daughter on the right. That's how much hair in one year since my last chemo, I've had it cut twice. Glad you have yours back and happy hair growing
    Kari

Woohoo on your first haircut
    Woohoo on your first haircut and your new hairstyle!
  • warrrior3
    warrrior3 Member Posts: 92
    Congratulations!
    That's wonderful news. I was fortunate to not need chemo but when my younger sister was dx'd with BC in 2006 and required chemo I was with her when her head was shaved. I was also with her to celebrate when her hair grew back!
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Mine came back a little
    Mine came back a little darker than it was (no gray), then I died it brown with red highlights, got tired of blond. It came back a little curly and thicker. I was really blessed with the new hair, at first it was baby fine and super soft, then it thickened and it's still soft. Happy Hair Everyone :)
    Kari
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Mine came back a little
    Mine came back a little darker than it was (no gray), then I died it brown with red highlights, got tired of blond. It came back a little curly and thicker. I was really blessed with the new hair, at first it was baby fine and super soft, then it thickened and it's still soft. Happy Hair Everyone :)
    Kari

We love hair! Congrats you
    We love hair! Congrats you red haired pixie cut cutie!

Sue :)
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    warrrior3 said:

Congratulations!
    That's wonderful news. I was fortunate to not need chemo but when my younger sister was dx'd with BC in 2006 and required chemo I was with her when her head was shaved. I was also with her to celebrate when her hair grew back!

Inch
    I have a inch and a half of hair now my cocktail was FEC in the summer and now I'm on taxotere it still comes out but it still grows but oh my it's grayer and it's like baby hair it just does it's on thing but so happy to have somthing up there i really don't care i still wear my wig but I'm hoping when it gets warm i will be able to go without it.MollyZ
  • midnight10
    midnight10 Member Posts: 74
    Ritzy said:

We love hair! Congrats you
    We love hair! Congrats you red haired pixie cut cutie!

Sue :)

Hair
    Had my last chemo 11/17/10...and lost all my eyelashes/eyebrows right after that chemo! Now my eyelashes and brows are growing back and I have about a quarter inch of very fine white and very dark hair. It is very encouraging!