Latissimus Dorsi Flap Breast Reconstruction????

Dragonfly51
Dragonfly51 Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone had Latissimus Dorsi Flap Breast Reconstruction surgery? I need to hear from someone who has had this surgery. Any suggestions that will make the process easier?

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    a link
    dragonfly,

I cannot help you. I had reconstruction with TE's and implants. But here is a link on a woman who wanted to know about a lat flap from breastcancerorg. Hope it helps.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/751135?page=1

[hugs]
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    book
    I bought a book from the ACS online bookstore called, "the breast reconstruction guidebook" or something similar. It is very informative on all the possible types of recon. I had the DIEP procedure...not exactly the same, but some similarities. I think the main thing is to be sure you have someone around to help you with lifting (laundry baskets, pans full of food...) and driving until the Dr. says you are OK to do it yourself. Also, try to get a "bed-chair" (one of those cushions with small arms) or lots of pillows to help you stay partially upright in bet. It will probably be hard to lie down and get up when you first come home from the hospital. I did not have a lot of pain...just took Tylenol. Follow the Dr's directions about excersize. Don't overdo it, but do move when you can. Be patient, give yourself time to recover.

Hope this helps, seof
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Yes, I've had one :)
    I had mine in 2006. I'm very happy with the results. It really wasn't that painful, but I know everyone has a different pain tolerance. All in all, it was easier than I anticipated it to be.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask away. I'll be more than happy to share my experiences with you.

Blessings,

Sally
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

a link
    dragonfly,

I cannot help you. I had reconstruction with TE's and implants. But here is a link on a woman who wanted to know about a lat flap from breastcancerorg. Hope it helps.

http://community.breastcancer.org/forum/44/topic/751135?page=1

[hugs]

I had a lumpectomy, but,
    I had a lumpectomy, but, wanted to wish you good luck. The site that Dawne posted is an excellent site with so much information about everything. They have individual threads for whatever you might have questions about.

Good luck,

Angie
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    sal314 said:

I had mine in 2006. I'm very happy with the results. It really wasn't that painful, but I know everyone has a different pain tolerance. All in all, it was easier than I anticipated it to be.

If you have specific questions, feel free to ask away. I'll be more than happy to share my experiences with you.

Blessings,

Sally

Me 2!
    I had mine done in 2008. I healed up nicely. I was really afraid at first, but it wound up being one of my easiest surgeries. I followed Dr.s orders and rested. 6 weeks later I was out shopping for the holidays with a girlfriend (she simply carried my heavy packages for me).
    Any questions I am happy to answer. You can private message any of us here as well. sometimes I forget which post I responded to and private messaging really helps me stay in touch better.
    Melanie
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    sal314 said:

Blessings,

Sally

Just wishing you good luck
    Just wishing you good luck with your surgery. Praying you recover quickly.

Lex