Interesting Study re Sequence of Chemo

2»

Comments

• Megan M
    Megan M Member Posts: 3,000
    dbhadra said:

I may have IBC too - and many questions!
    OK, here is my question - how do I actually know if I have IBC? I have one negative skin biopsy, one positive skin biopsy, some swelling, some redness, a 3 by 2 centimeter lump/mass and a cancer with "lobular features"!!!????

My oncologist keeps telling me that IBC is a "clinical diagnosis" meaning, if you are inflamed, you are classified as IBC. But, according to her, it doesn;t matter since I am ER+, PR+ and HER -, so treatment is the same whether it is IBC or "regular" breast cancer. But at the same time, everything I read says IBC has worse prognosis than other types of breast cancer.

IS IBC really worse that other breast cancers???? And WHY???

Also, I hate telling people I am Stage III (which I am classified as, both because of the size of my tumor and the skin inflammation). They look at me as if I am going to die immediately (or maybe I just imagine that they are) and then I end up explaining how even though it's Stage III, it's really not that bad, etc. etc. etc. Why do people even ask what stage I am, anyway? How does anyone else answer that question. Today I found a new way to cut short that discussion by simply saying, "My prognosis is good" (though I have not seen that written down anywhere on my numerous reports (and would like it in writing "excellent prognosis" would be even better!!!) I am still going to say it based on talks with my oncologist!!!"

Thanks ladies for letting me vent here! Until I started writing I didn't realize how much was in there!

2nd round of 12 weekly taxol tomorrow...one down, 11 to go!!!

Wishing everyone a good night,
    Laura

Vent anytime you want. We
    Vent anytime you want. We all have and still will. I understand about the Stage question. I went into the chat ONCE on here and got bombarded with what type of cancer did I have, what stage was I and so on. I quickly left and didn't care for that. What does it matter? We are all sisters and all fighting as hard as possible.

And, thanks Cynthia for another informative post.

Hugs, Megan
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    dbhadra said:

I may have IBC too - and many questions!
    OK, here is my question - how do I actually know if I have IBC? I have one negative skin biopsy, one positive skin biopsy, some swelling, some redness, a 3 by 2 centimeter lump/mass and a cancer with "lobular features"!!!????

My oncologist keeps telling me that IBC is a "clinical diagnosis" meaning, if you are inflamed, you are classified as IBC. But, according to her, it doesn;t matter since I am ER+, PR+ and HER -, so treatment is the same whether it is IBC or "regular" breast cancer. But at the same time, everything I read says IBC has worse prognosis than other types of breast cancer.

IS IBC really worse that other breast cancers???? And WHY???

Also, I hate telling people I am Stage III (which I am classified as, both because of the size of my tumor and the skin inflammation). They look at me as if I am going to die immediately (or maybe I just imagine that they are) and then I end up explaining how even though it's Stage III, it's really not that bad, etc. etc. etc. Why do people even ask what stage I am, anyway? How does anyone else answer that question. Today I found a new way to cut short that discussion by simply saying, "My prognosis is good" (though I have not seen that written down anywhere on my numerous reports (and would like it in writing "excellent prognosis" would be even better!!!) I am still going to say it based on talks with my oncologist!!!"

Thanks ladies for letting me vent here! Until I started writing I didn't realize how much was in there!

2nd round of 12 weekly taxol tomorrow...one down, 11 to go!!!

Wishing everyone a good night,
    Laura

Another great post and link.
    Another great post and link. I look forward to reading it. Thank you Cynthia.

Leeza
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    jnl said:

Another great post and link.
    Another great post and link. I look forward to reading it. Thank you Cynthia.

Leeza

C.C. .. Thank you for getting this very valuable and needed
    information .. to us .. out front and center. I am elated that new studies continue, and drug companies are not resting on old clinical trials or data.

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    jamiegww said:

Does this mean I'm "screwed"?
    I had AC first and then Taxol. If I read this correctly, I have a greater risk of reoccurance and a decreased chance of surving five to ten years.

Thanks for such valuable
    Thanks for such valuable information again Cynthia!

Hugs, Angie
  • EllenaMaria
    EllenaMaria Member Posts: 69
    VickiSam said:

C.C. .. Thank you for getting this very valuable and needed
    information .. to us .. out front and center. I am elated that new studies continue, and drug companies are not resting on old clinical trials or data.

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam

I am so grateful to have a
    I am so grateful to have a husband who is in medicine and understands all this stuff. One thing that he discussed with me is that breast cancer is so different than other cancers, which is why no one seems to have the same treatment. I guess most other cancers are pretty standard but bc has so many variables. You can have two patients very similar but one little difference and it changes everything when it comes to treatment. And there are so many studies that come out and get us thinking, worrying, etc. A friend of mine has same stage as me but because she had lots of positive nodes she had same chemo but hers was every 14 days and mine was every 21 days. I am happy with the treatment recommended for me. Might there have been something better? Maybe, maybe not. I think it comes down to one thing. Until there is a cure there is no solid answer as to what the perfect treatment is.
  • jnl
    mimivac said:

23 years!
    Cynthia, I think you're awesome!

Cynthia is awesome and a
    Cynthia is awesome and a huge asset to this site!
  • jnl

I am so grateful to have a
    I am so grateful to have a husband who is in medicine and understands all this stuff. One thing that he discussed with me is that breast cancer is so different than other cancers, which is why no one seems to have the same treatment. I guess most other cancers are pretty standard but bc has so many variables. You can have two patients very similar but one little difference and it changes everything when it comes to treatment. And there are so many studies that come out and get us thinking, worrying, etc. A friend of mine has same stage as me but because she had lots of positive nodes she had same chemo but hers was every 14 days and mine was every 21 days. I am happy with the treatment recommended for me. Might there have been something better? Maybe, maybe not. I think it comes down to one thing. Until there is a cure there is no solid answer as to what the perfect treatment is.

Being happy and confident
    Being happy and confident with our doctors and treatment is huge EllenaMaria. Very glad that you are, as, we all should be.

Good luck to you!

Leeza
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598

That's interesting as in
    That's interesting as in Canada they have been using 5FU and I actually tried to avoid it as one onc told me it was an old chemo and I knew they hadn't been using it in the U.S. Thanks for the interesting article.
    jan

Interesting and valuable
    Interesting and valuable information. Thank you Cynthia.

Lex