clue-less *what are METS?

disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
sorry to have to ask..I keep reading comments and am unware what they / it is!

Comments

• ShirleyCurls
    ShirleyCurls Member Posts: 51
    I wish it
    were only a baseball team in New York, but its not.

When breast cancer travels to other parts of the body you are said to have Mestastatic (Mets) Breast Cancer. It oftens travels to the bones, lungs and liver. It can show up anywhere, really. Its still considered Breast Cancer, not Bone Cancer though.

I have Bone Mets
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Don't apologize for asking
    Don't apologize for asking Disney, it's a learning process for all of us. Although so far I havn't had to deal with it, as I understand it, mets or matastasis is where some of the cancer cells from your primary cancer,in our case breast, travel through the blood or lymph system and take hold in another organ growing new cancers...usually for us the lungs or liver....the cells can also start growing in the bones.."bone mets"..which also seem to be common for breast cancer survivors.....we have several members who have recently been diagnosed with liver , lung and bone mets. This is why we do chemo and rads...to try to kill off any of these lingering cancer cells...and why we take arimidex or tamoxifin for 5 years after we are declared NED. Unfortunately the little buggers are hard to kill and sometimes show up 2 , 3 years after primary treatment. I'm sure other's are much more knowledgeable on the subject and will give you better info, but I hope this helps your understand what everyone is so sad about with Moopy and Meena and Chen and so many other sisters.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    dyaneb123 said:

Don't apologize for asking
    Don't apologize for asking Disney, it's a learning process for all of us. Although so far I havn't had to deal with it, as I understand it, mets or matastasis is where some of the cancer cells from your primary cancer,in our case breast, travel through the blood or lymph system and take hold in another organ growing new cancers...usually for us the lungs or liver....the cells can also start growing in the bones.."bone mets"..which also seem to be common for breast cancer survivors.....we have several members who have recently been diagnosed with liver , lung and bone mets. This is why we do chemo and rads...to try to kill off any of these lingering cancer cells...and why we take arimidex or tamoxifin for 5 years after we are declared NED. Unfortunately the little buggers are hard to kill and sometimes show up 2 , 3 years after primary treatment. I'm sure other's are much more knowledgeable on the subject and will give you better info, but I hope this helps your understand what everyone is so sad about with Moopy and Meena and Chen and so many other sisters.

Thanks for explanation
    now I think I understand!