Needs Others Opinion

Options
tr71068
tr71068 Member Posts: 26
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was dx'd in Sept and had resection and started chemo in Dec,. I had my first chemo treatment and had tones of side effect so doc (onc) gave me meds to try and help with symptons didnt reall help. So on second chemo doc lowered meds by 25% went home with pump and later that day had a headache which I thought would blow the back of my head off plus all other side effects as last time. Neuropathy, diarrhea, painful eyes, sick to stomach, vomiting, muscle contrations in arms and legs. The headache stayed not as bad as first day but always there no matter what I took. Went in for third chemo treatment and it was delayed due to headache. Doc gave me Tylenol #4 and Xanax hoping this would help. Went to my appointment on Wed and I still have headache. Doc decided to due MRI and MRA with contrast just to make sure no cancer or aneurysm in brain. Results came back good brain looks great. Have appointment on Monday and I have to decide if I will continue with treatment. I still have headache which they say should be gone by now. I can continue and they will take out the the booster which I believe is either leucovorin or Eloxatin or possible both and just due the 5fu. Unfortunatly that may not be the reason for headache and I may just not be able to handle the chemo. I can either continue and take the chance that it will make the headache worse. Or I can choose to discontinue treatment and keep a close eye on the situation. I was told by surgeon they got all of the cancer it was in one lymph out off 55 and it was a slow growing and well differentiated. I can live with the cold issue, the vomiting, muscle contrations and everything else. I dont know if I can live with a headache for much longer. Any opinions or suggestions would be helpful. I'm not sure what to do.

Comments

• PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    Options
    Headache.
    I guess in your place, I'd just follow my doctors' advice, do the chemo, and try to put up with the headaches. I'm sorry your treatment is having these very unpleasant side effects.

--Greg
  • Bear23
    Bear23 Member Posts: 84
    Options
    Are you having Zofran for
    Are you having Zofran for nauseau? This gave me headaches. I went with Aloxi in my drip instead and Ativan in pills for after.

Hope it levels out for you.

Bear
  • John23
    John23 Member Posts: 2,122 Member
    Options
    tr -

When I first read your story, it sounded like you were suffering from
    a typical chronic tension headache, but as I read on......

You're suffering from all the Neuropathy; all the symptoms of
    a bad reaction from the chemical therapy. You've told your
    oncologist, and it's being ignored?

You owe it to yourself to make a appointment with another
    oncologist that's not of the same group or organization as
    your present one, and get another opinion regarding the
    treatment best for you, if any.

Many oncologists have recently been stepping away from the
    arbitrary prescribing of chemotherapy, and allowing their patients
    to get healthy instead. They're finding that the overuse of the
    toxic chemicals are more of a detriment, than a benefit.

Get another opinion or two, there's no reason to subject yourself
    to torture; you do not have to get sick to get better.

Think healthy.

John
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Treatment
    Maybe they can try another chemo altogether. Guess it is a process of elimination. Hope you feel better soon.

Kim
  • tr71068
    tr71068 Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Bear23 said:

Are you having Zofran for
    Are you having Zofran for nauseau? This gave me headaches. I went with Aloxi in my drip instead and Ativan in pills for after.

Hope it levels out for you.

Bear

Pills
    I have had zofran, ativan and kytril non of them have worked so far
  • herdizziness
    herdizziness Member Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    Chemo Options
    I hope they try another chemo. My sister-in-laws daughter had colon cancer, her chemo caused severe seizures, so she gave up her chemo. Her onc, didn't offer any other type
    of chemo, which today, having learned a bit about our cancer, real pisses me off.
    She died within a couple of months of stopping the chemo. If your onc, isn't trying another type of chemo, then try another onc, would be my personal opinion.
    Winter Marie
  • mommyof2kds
    mommyof2kds Member Posts: 519
    Options

Chemo Options
    I hope they try another chemo. My sister-in-laws daughter had colon cancer, her chemo caused severe seizures, so she gave up her chemo. Her onc, didn't offer any other type
    of chemo, which today, having learned a bit about our cancer, real pisses me off.
    She died within a couple of months of stopping the chemo. If your onc, isn't trying another type of chemo, then try another onc, would be my personal opinion.
    Winter Marie

I would definitely get
    I would definitely get another opinion. Make sure you are making the right decision.. Take care. Petrina