camisole advice needed

rockmom
rockmom Member Posts: 3
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi everyone, I'm new here and have a question about purchasing a camisole. I had my surgery (left breast mastectomy and lymph nodes) 3 weeks ago and have been trying to research the camisoles and the best place to buy them. Does insurance cover them, and if so, do I need a prescription from the doctor? I am experiencing more discomfort the last few days under my arm (and rest of surgical site) and wondering if getting one would aggravate it. I got a few hospital gowns when I came home and have been living in them at home. Even wearing them for visits to the doctor which cuts down on my changing into one of their gowns.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maddie

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Maddie & welcome :) I'm
    Hi Maddie & welcome :) I'm sorry you have to be here though. I had a bi-lat mastectomy in July and they gave me camisoles at the hospital before I went home. It was covered by my insurance - my nurse told me most of the time they are covered.
    I never even wore mine - i wore mens hanes undershirts most of the time (it was very hot then though!) and pinned my drains to the sides of the shirt.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Maddie
    I had bilateral mastectomy in June. My surgeon sent me home in a surgical bra (I did not have reconstruction). I bought 2 camisoles but the store was not covered by my insurance. They were very soft and comfy and had velcro pockets for the drains. You do need a script from dr. I also got script from him to buy mastectomy bras and prostheses a few months later. Insurance covered most of the cost. Hope you discomfort eases up soon. I did not have any lymph node involvement so the only thing I had to deal with was the drains for 10 days and then healing (I had about 75 steri strips).
    {{hugs}} Char
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    camisoles
    Maddie - I came home with a wonderful camisole from the hospital - I loved it! It was soft cotton and opened up the front with velcro. It had pockets inside for the drains. It was kind of bulky b/c of the fabric and velcro, but I just wore loose fitting shirts over it that buttoned up the front. I never would have been able to get anything up over my head (left side mastectomy and 18 nodes removed). It was so comfy that I wore it long after I needed it - several months actually to sleep in. It had a puffy form inside that you could take stuffing out of if it was too big.
    Later when I needed to go back to work and wear nicer clothes and was having radiation,I switched to a nylon-Lycra type camisole. That one was much smoother to wear under clothes, but it was a slip-on style. As I had (have) trouble with arm limitation, I would slip it on feet-first rather than over my head. Other than for about one week when my radiated area was oozing (I wore a man's cotton t-shirt then), I wore that camisole all the time, and am still wearing it 3 months after finishing radiation, even though I have bras with prostheses. My insurance covered the camisoles and bras.
  • Different Ballgame
    Different Ballgame Member Posts: 868
    Here is a great source - comfortable & beautiful
    Breast cancer survivor with her friend, a designer, designed the perfect camisole. Contact Katie Stotler at 312.285.7661, e-mail address is E.katie@shoptoobeautiful.com. Website is www.shoptoobeautiful.com. Camisole comes in 3 colors: white, pink & black. It is made of soft cotton, modal, lycra blend that is comfortable and washes with ease. It accommodates all the drains with subtle interior and exterior pockets that allow for discreet yet totally functional usage. Perhaps the best part of the camisole is how pretty and feminine it is with details such as delicate lace and adjustable bra straps.

Lots of Hugs,
    Janelle
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Hi Maddie & welcome :) I'm
    Hi Maddie & welcome :) I'm sorry you have to be here though. I had a bi-lat mastectomy in July and they gave me camisoles at the hospital before I went home. It was covered by my insurance - my nurse told me most of the time they are covered.
    I never even wore mine - i wore mens hanes undershirts most of the time (it was very hot then though!) and pinned my drains to the sides of the shirt.
    *hugs*
    Heather

Your insurance should cover
    Your insurance should cover them. I think all you need is a letter/fax from your doctor. I got 2 bras, and, I could have gotten more after my lumpectomy and my insurance paid for them. There is TLC on this site that offers different bras, camisoles and other things. There was also a nice shop inside my cancer center that sold these things too. Does yours have that?

Good luck,

Jan