Anyone leave their port accessed overnight or over a weekend?

pinkflutterby
pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Having my surgery on Monday and if ya'll remember I had a horrible time with the IV's last time, wondering about getting my port accessed on Friday and leaving it in until Tuesday when I am released. Has anyone left their port accessed overnight or over a weekend?

OOO reminder, I am allergic to all adhesives except silk tape!!!

Comments

• cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I just
    had my port removed yesterday. It was only used for chemo (only oncology nurses) and I finished that in December. I'm considered a hard stick and yesterday the nurse had to try 3 times before getting an IV going. I have a few bruises! I don't know anything about having it accessed more than what's its' purpose is for.
    Char
  • pinkflutterby
    cahjah75 said:

I just
    had my port removed yesterday. It was only used for chemo (only oncology nurses) and I finished that in December. I'm considered a hard stick and yesterday the nurse had to try 3 times before getting an IV going. I have a few bruises! I don't know anything about having it accessed more than what's its' purpose is for.
    Char

they can use it for blood
    they can use it for blood draws in the hospital, since they take blood like every 4 hours or something crazy like that, and it always seems to be at 2am!!!! I dont know if the Anesthesiologist will use it or not........ last time it took 3 nurses 2 hours to get an iv started :( it hurt!!!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631

they can use it for blood
    they can use it for blood draws in the hospital, since they take blood like every 4 hours or something crazy like that, and it always seems to be at 2am!!!! I dont know if the Anesthesiologist will use it or not........ last time it took 3 nurses 2 hours to get an iv started :( it hurt!!!

I know
    all too well how much it hurts being stuck. I've had 12 surgeries in the past 4 1/2 years and the first one was emergency and no one could get an IV going. It ended up in my jugular in the neck. I've had them in my foot too! Even though some have said it can be used for blood draws, none of the phlebotomists I had at a cancer center used my port. They used my hands or arms for blood work. Good luck. You'll have to see what the drs are willing to do.
    Char
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Talk to your Center
    I would be very surprised that they would do such! Heprin is kept in the line to keep clots from forming so how could it be accessed that long withiout problems? Yes, ports can be kept in for months/years without being used for infusions but they are flushed monthly and new heprin put in. It's been over 11 months since mine was used for infusion but it's flushed monthly.

Talk to the anethesologist (sp?) as to rather or not he/she will use the port. Explain that you've had issues in the past and would like to have it used. If they are going to use a hand vein ask if it's OK to use EMLA (or generic).

Talk to your DRs!

Susan
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Rague said:

Talk to your Center
    I would be very surprised that they would do such! Heprin is kept in the line to keep clots from forming so how could it be accessed that long withiout problems? Yes, ports can be kept in for months/years without being used for infusions but they are flushed monthly and new heprin put in. It's been over 11 months since mine was used for infusion but it's flushed monthly.

Talk to the anethesologist (sp?) as to rather or not he/she will use the port. Explain that you've had issues in the past and would like to have it used. If they are going to use a hand vein ask if it's OK to use EMLA (or generic).

Talk to your DRs!

Susan

Libby .. My suggestion === speak to your Oncologist or his
    RN . .. find out what you can and can not do. If accessed, do you have to keep a clean gauge wrapping over your port until the time of surgery, which presents another set of problems with the tape. Have your tried paper tape? Adhesive tape is something I too had several problems and raised skin infections from.

Please let us know -- what can be done for you. We are in course in the 21st Century -- there is something out there, and your doctors need to make 'every' effort possible to help and assist you.

Strength and Courage ..

Vicki Sam
  • monica811
    monica811 Member Posts: 10
    Port put in on Monday, Treatment on Tuesday.
    Hello, I had my port put in on a Monday morning and had my first chemo treatment that next day. It worked fine for me. I was sceduled to have the port put in on that prior Friday, but I figured one day of crap was better that three. It really was not that painful, at least for me. Don't know anything about the allergy to latex. Sorry, but I wish you luck.
  • Snowkitty
    Snowkitty Member Posts: 295
    Don't know anything about
    Don't know anything about leaving a port accessed. However, while my port was in, I went to the ER on a Sunday. They were gonna give me an IV, and I asked if there was a nurse there able to access my port instead of a vein. There was.

I am hyper-sensetive to any tape (I think it's the glue). My Chemo RN always gave me the teeniest tape, maybe 1/4" over the gauze, and it worked.

Good luck, Cindy
  • Skeezie
    Skeezie Member Posts: 586 Member
    Snowkitty said:

Don't know anything about
    Don't know anything about leaving a port accessed. However, while my port was in, I went to the ER on a Sunday. They were gonna give me an IV, and I asked if there was a nurse there able to access my port instead of a vein. There was.

I am hyper-sensetive to any tape (I think it's the glue). My Chemo RN always gave me the teeniest tape, maybe 1/4" over the gauze, and it worked.

Good luck, Cindy

When I was in the hospital for 4 days
    a year ago, my port was used for my iv's. they also took the blood draws as well. It was wonderful not having an iv in my wrist (which is the only spot they can access on my arm). I have all of my blood draws thru my port as well, they do them at the same time they are doing my port flush.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    With my 'other' cancer, rectal, I had a continuous pump...
    for 4 days in a row, 24 hours a day...connected to my port. I, too, am allergic to any tape but paper...it's the adhesive more than anything, I am told, and quite common.

I never had any trouble with my port. Thru both cancers, it behaved itself until the very end of the Taxol for the breast cancer, and then it just needed flushing more often between chemos.

Interesting, tho, when I was subsequently hospitalized for a complete bowel obstruction, on my question as to using my $2,000 port for blood draws, etc, the personnel said "Oh, no, we have been told by the oncologists not to use them!"...couldn't tell me why, tho...

Finally, day 3 of my stay, I insisted they use it for TPN...they did, but not without calling my oncologist first...a beautiful way of getting blood without sticks, and administering drugs without a line...sigh...that was 6 years ago, hopefully things have changed in the mean time! I have scads of 'blown' veins as a result of their refusals...

Hugs, Kathi
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    I never did but
    my onc nurses always offered when I did blood work the day before each round of chemo. They said it wouldn't be a problem, but I always preferred the stick rather than overnight access -- but truly that's just me.

Praying that all goes well for you and I'll be there with you.

marge
  • pinkflutterby

I never did but
    my onc nurses always offered when I did blood work the day before each round of chemo. They said it wouldn't be a problem, but I always preferred the stick rather than overnight access -- but truly that's just me.

Praying that all goes well for you and I'll be there with you.

marge

again thank you all so much!
    again thank you all so much! I will be requesting a bigger room!!!! Ya'll better bring cake for me, chocolate with cream cheese icing please :)

I have decided to go ahead and get my port accessed tomorrow as late as I can, my nurse said it can stay accessed for a week so I will be good to go.

Dreading Monday...... uggg o well, at least I have this weekend to celebrate, we are going to my grandparents house, my granddaddy's birthday is the 18th he will be 93, my son's bday is the 20th he will be 23, my youngest granddaughter's is the 24th she will be 4. I also have a niece and cousin with January bdays a busy month!!!
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

again thank you all so much!
    again thank you all so much! I will be requesting a bigger room!!!! Ya'll better bring cake for me, chocolate with cream cheese icing please :)

I have decided to go ahead and get my port accessed tomorrow as late as I can, my nurse said it can stay accessed for a week so I will be good to go.

Dreading Monday...... uggg o well, at least I have this weekend to celebrate, we are going to my grandparents house, my granddaddy's birthday is the 18th he will be 93, my son's bday is the 20th he will be 23, my youngest granddaughter's is the 24th she will be 4. I also have a niece and cousin with January bdays a busy month!!!

I love the requesting a
    I love the requesting a bigger room and yes, there will be cake and ice cream too and most important prayers for good results. have a special birthday weekend, your January is sure busy.
    Stef
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    cahjah75 said:

I know
    all too well how much it hurts being stuck. I've had 12 surgeries in the past 4 1/2 years and the first one was emergency and no one could get an IV going. It ended up in my jugular in the neck. I've had them in my foot too! Even though some have said it can be used for blood draws, none of the phlebotomists I had at a cancer center used my port. They used my hands or arms for blood work. Good luck. You'll have to see what the drs are willing to do.
    Char

Wishing you good luck Monday
    Wishing you good luck Monday Libby. I will be praying for you, and, watching for an update.

Hugs and prayers too,

Angie