mastectomy tips for Linda and others...

Findingout
Findingout Member Posts: 132
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Linda,
I think your surgery is tomorrow. I had mine unexpectedly last week, the 6th. This is the first time back on the computer! I've been thinking of you.
Here are a few tips in case they're helpful.
- Pile all the pillows you can in the car you'll be picked up in BEFORE surgery so they'll be in there when you go home. I had pillows all behind my back and supporting my affected side and arm so I was 'floating' in the seat which was helpful going over bumps in the road (ouch!).
- If you can, get the camisole before surgery, wear it in, and it will be there for you after. This was so comforting; it has the pockets and pouches for the drain(s) and two days later I stuffed the one side with the false booby I shaped myself. :-) This is entirely personal but for me I liked looking down and seeing the mound, still do, I don't care how well it matches the other one at this point. :-)
- After being released I got really sick with a throbbing headache that would not quit, for hrs and hrs. I couldn't keep anything down at all or sleep. My ex who is European said I was dehydrated and with all the toxins from the surgery and stuff they pump into you I needed fluids. He said to drink chamomile tea which I was able to sip and keep down. This was major help as the advice nurses couldn't help at all and kept me on the phone with endless questions, then I sat in the local emerg. clinic for 2 hrs and gave up and left. I improved dramatically after I got hydrated and my body could start to release all the toxins. I think the Europeans have a more holistic knowledge; no one here even asked me if I was hydrating!!! and he knew right away.
Take care, it's a week later now and my drain got removed yesterday, I feel SO much better, I'm going out in the SUN to water my plants!!!!!!! (with my left arm)
much love to all,
Lin

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Great tips! I was given a
    Great tips! I was given a couple of cute nighties that buttoned or snapped up the front. I wore them instead of a hospital gown and they made me feel better.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    We're all different!
    For me wasn't bad at all. I had no pillows in the truck - yes truck - a slightly raised F250 that Son picked me up in. On the way home we stopped at the local Humane Society to see the B&T **** Hound Hubby had gotten the day before - she had to stay til spayed. Stopped for lunch then home. He then took off to Ft. Meade to pick up my pain meds. During the week between surgery and next appt the local ACS sent me a 'care package' which included a puff/fluff which I used for 3 months until I got my good pros. For me one drain was taken out at 2 weeks post and the other at 4 weeks post - really wish it had been left longer as developed large seroma.

I'm sorry that you felt so bad and had a hard time but not all of us do!

Susan
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Rague said:

We're all different!
    For me wasn't bad at all. I had no pillows in the truck - yes truck - a slightly raised F250 that Son picked me up in. On the way home we stopped at the local Humane Society to see the B&T **** Hound Hubby had gotten the day before - she had to stay til spayed. Stopped for lunch then home. He then took off to Ft. Meade to pick up my pain meds. During the week between surgery and next appt the local ACS sent me a 'care package' which included a puff/fluff which I used for 3 months until I got my good pros. For me one drain was taken out at 2 weeks post and the other at 4 weeks post - really wish it had been left longer as developed large seroma.

I'm sorry that you felt so bad and had a hard time but not all of us do!

Susan

@Linda
    I was so bandaged i didn't feel anything no pillows really no pain didn't need pain meds even when i got home so many nerves cut and your really numb. MollyZ
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Great tips! I was given a
    Great tips! I was given a couple of cute nighties that buttoned or snapped up the front. I wore them instead of a hospital gown and they made me feel better.

Great post!
    Great post with such good information!

Thanks!
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    mollyz said:

@Linda
    I was so bandaged i didn't feel anything no pillows really no pain didn't need pain meds even when i got home so many nerves cut and your really numb. MollyZ

Great tips and a really good
    Great tips and a really good post.

Thank you,

Lex