Pathology report - Not good news, not bad news, just news...

mrs gadget
mrs gadget Member Posts: 118
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Just went for my pre-op visit today and discussed my pathology report with my surgeon. She said that all went well, removed 22 lymph nodes (only 3 were positive) and that chemo was very affective at shrinkng my tumor down to .4 cm before removal.

The part that had me somewhat worried was that there were some DCIS cells still in the spaces of my lymphatic system. The doc seemed to feel that radiation would take care of these, but I am still worried...

Anybody have experience with this???

Thanks
Mrs Gadget

Comments

• survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Your doctor knows what is
    Your doctor knows what is best for you. If you ever doubt that, please seek a 2nd opinion. Many do and are happy that they have.

I would assume that you will continue to take chemo? I thought chemo was used if there are cancer cells in your lymph nodes. Rads are used to kill stray cancer cells at the tumor site and surrounding tissue.

Good luck,

Jan
  • Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    I don't know
    Dear Mrs Gadget,

I don't know because I have no experience in your situation.

I'm sorry there were traces in your nodes, but DCIS, if you're going to have traces, that's the best kind to have, right?

I agree that if you're not comfortable, seek a second, or third, or fourth opinion until all your concerns are addressed.

Please keep us posted.

Much Love,
    dh
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Mrs Gadget
    I have put my faith in my oncs and surgeon. I had no lymph node involvement (sentinel node and 2 others were negative). I don't know if it's general practice to remove all the lymph nodes especially when only 3 were positive. My sister had lumpectomy and 7 lymph nodes were positive so she had chemo & rads. I had bilateral mastectomy and still had chemo & rads. We're all different and I believe that our oncologists (medical & radiology) are doing what they think is best for our individual treatments.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    good thoughts heading your way
    I HOPE today is better then yesterday...and tomorrow even better...

thinking of you..

Denise W
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

good thoughts heading your way
    I HOPE today is better then yesterday...and tomorrow even better...

thinking of you..

Denise W

Glad that the chemo shrank
    Glad that the chemo shrank the tumor but sorry about the stray cells. Radiation is designed to get those strays and it can be very effective. There are no absolutes in cancer but you need to use every weapon in the arsensal against it. I will keep you in my good thoughts that rads do the job.
    Stef
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    fauxma said:

Glad that the chemo shrank the tumor but sorry about the stray cells. Radiation is designed to get those strays and it can be very effective. There are no absolutes in cancer but you need to use every weapon in the arsensal against it. I will keep you in my good thoughts that rads do the job.
    Stef

DCIS is a good stray cell to
    DCIS is a good stray cell to have.9as already stated) the report sounds good to me. the chemo is effective. I would also check with my onc , but usually they put their heads together and make a plan.
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    fauxma said:

Stef

Radiation treatments, if
    Radiation treatments, if recommended by your own oncologist, will kill stray cancer cells. Wishing you good luck in your treatment.

Hugs, Kylez
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Kylez said:

Radiation treatments, if
    Radiation treatments, if recommended by your own oncologist, will kill stray cancer cells. Wishing you good luck in your treatment.

Hugs, Kylez

Second opinion
    If you are not comfortable, please seek a second opinion. I personally do not like positive nodes, however I am not a doctor. I had 11 and had mastectomy, Chemotherapy and radiation.
    Hugs
    New Flower