Has anyone had mets on there liver removed?

jessica80
jessica80 Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am new to the site and I am wondering if anyone with mets on the liver has had them removed?I am a Stage 4 IBC patient with mets on bone liver,abdominal area and female parts!!I had been in remission for alil over a year when the mets started showing up on the scans again and I was told about having them removed my oc told me no one around us removes them I am from the South Bend Indiana area!!Please let me know if anyone has had this done or heard of it being done!!

Comments

• Marsha Mulvey
    Marsha Mulvey Member Posts: 597 Member
    fellow Hoosier!
    I'm from Evansville - about as far from you as I can be and still live in Indiana.
    I too have mets to the bones and liver. Until just a few days ago, I had not heard of anyone having the liver mets removed surgically. Then someone on here (maybe Sal???) wrote of a new procedure to do that. I too would like to hear more about it though I probably would not be a candidate for it as I have about 20 separate tumors. Best wishes.
    Marsha
    P.S. Is it snowing there too?
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003

fellow Hoosier!
    I'm from Evansville - about as far from you as I can be and still live in Indiana.
    I too have mets to the bones and liver. Until just a few days ago, I had not heard of anyone having the liver mets removed surgically. Then someone on here (maybe Sal???) wrote of a new procedure to do that. I too would like to hear more about it though I probably would not be a candidate for it as I have about 20 separate tumors. Best wishes.
    Marsha

I also have mets to bones
    I also have mets to bones and liver, and I was told that they do not remove the tumors on you liver. Apparently, this does not work for breast cancer patients who have liver mets. The only thing that they can do is chemotherapy, which does not always work. Your doctor was correct.
  • sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    Just wanted to say hi to a
    Just wanted to say hi to a fellow hoosier. I'm from Gary, Indiana. Welcome to the board it's a good place to get information and support.
    Sparkle
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Hello Jessica,
    What a lovely

Hello Jessica,

What a lovely family you have, it's a wonderful picture. I have IBC as well, stage 3 though, so it's hard for me to hear about your situation. And I haven't heard about this being done.

I do want to welcome you here, you'll find many supportive wonderful people. Please come here whenever you have questions, need to vent, have joy or sorrow to share...whatever your needs we'll listen and give advice.

Hugs,

Linda
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    we're in the same city
    Jessica I live in South Bend as well :) I don't have any answers for you but I wanted to reach out to you since we live in the same town. If you ever want to talk or anything -my email address is Heatherbelle654@comcast.net. I get emails on my cell phone so I'm good as responding (usually, lol).
    I hope someone chimes in with some information for you!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Cindy Bear
    Cindy Bear Member Posts: 569
    Hello
    Hi Jessica. I am so sorry you have to be here and very sorry to hear about mets. There was a lady on the ovarian cancer board a while back that had liver mets and had radio freguency ablation for them. But that was ovarian cancer.. not sure if that's a possibility for BC.
    I just want to suggest that you visit/post your question on the Liver cancer Dis. board.. I would say the majority of people there do not have primary liver cancer(which I believe is actually quite rare) but mets from other areas. Good luck to you . Hugs, Cindy
  • jessica80

fellow Hoosier!
    Marsha

SNOW EVERYWHERE!!
    Yes it sure is!!We have over 3 feet of snow yesterday we received 5 more inches and right now were waiting on 16 more as soon as the wind shifts to the east we are gonna get slammed again, the next town over which is Laporte In already has gotten 2 feet today so Im waiting and wanting to go sledding!!
  • jessica80

Hello Jessica,
    What a lovely

Hello Jessica,

What a lovely family you have, it's a wonderful picture. I have IBC as well, stage 3 though, so it's hard for me to hear about your situation. And I haven't heard about this being done.

I do want to welcome you here, you'll find many supportive wonderful people. Please come here whenever you have questions, need to vent, have joy or sorrow to share...whatever your needs we'll listen and give advice.

Hugs,

Linda

Thank you!!
    My kids keep me very busy!!They are great kids though!!Thank you for the kind words and support!!Are these your children in the picture!!Very beautiful!!It is nice to finally have a place to ask questions and not feel stupid about not knowing!!
  • jessica80

we're in the same city
    Jessica I live in South Bend as well :) I don't have any answers for you but I wanted to reach out to you since we live in the same town. If you ever want to talk or anything -my email address is Heatherbelle654@comcast.net. I get emails on my cell phone so I'm good as responding (usually, lol).
    I hope someone chimes in with some information for you!
    *hugs*
    Heather

Thank you!!
    Are you just loveing the snow??!!LOL!!Thank you for the support my e-mail is butterflies80@embarqmail.com. If you need someone to talk to ever!!I am going to talk to my surgeon he says there is a doctor in Indy that does the removal of mets on patients like me!! I really hope so, but it worth a shot to let them see if it can be done!!Thank you very much!!
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Hello
    Hi Jessica. I am so sorry you have to be here and very sorry to hear about mets. There was a lady on the ovarian cancer board a while back that had liver mets and had radio freguency ablation for them. But that was ovarian cancer.. not sure if that's a possibility for BC.
    I just want to suggest that you visit/post your question on the Liver cancer Dis. board.. I would say the majority of people there do not have primary liver cancer(which I believe is actually quite rare) but mets from other areas. Good luck to you . Hugs, Cindy

I have heard of this for
    I have heard of this for lung mets but not liver. but it would be great if we could zap those tumors without having to do chemo. welcome to the board, so glad heather lives in your area.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    jessica80 said:

Thank you!!
    Are you just loveing the snow??!!LOL!!Thank you for the support my e-mail is butterflies80@embarqmail.com. If you need someone to talk to ever!!I am going to talk to my surgeon he says there is a doctor in Indy that does the removal of mets on patients like me!! I really hope so, but it worth a shot to let them see if it can be done!!Thank you very much!!

I don't know anything about
    I don't know anything about this, but, I wanted to send you hugs and prayers.

Sue :)
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    carkris said:

I have heard of this for
    I have heard of this for lung mets but not liver. but it would be great if we could zap those tumors without having to do chemo. welcome to the board, so glad heather lives in your area.

fellow Hoosier
    I'm in Bloomington ... and go for my pap smear Friday...and quite honestly ... I'm not looking forward to it. Not because it's a pap smear ... but I'm afraid of the results. I finished BC treatment a year ago and I just keep reading about it popping up in other places a year or so down the road. I'm on tamoxifen and I guess I'm just getting paranoid ...

hugs.
    teena
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I too have liver mets ( and
    I too have liver mets ( as well as bone and lining of the lung) Being as the liver can regenerate, I asked my oncologist the same thing...I got your same answer! He explained that being that the mets is not a localized spot, there would be no purpose to subject me to surgery , as the cancer is in other body parts NOT treatable by surgery. That actually made sense to me!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    chenheart said:

I too have liver mets ( and
    I too have liver mets ( as well as bone and lining of the lung) Being as the liver can regenerate, I asked my oncologist the same thing...I got your same answer! He explained that being that the mets is not a localized spot, there would be no purpose to subject me to surgery , as the cancer is in other body parts NOT treatable by surgery. That actually made sense to me!

Hugs,
    Claudia

Lisa, I just to stop in and wish you well. I see by the
    responses from our other WARRIORS that you received some wonderful and powerful information. I adore your picture, and all your smiling angels.

So sorry about your situation, and I will keep you in good thoughts and prayers.

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Have You Looked Into "Therasphere" Radiation Treatment?
    If you google "Therasphere Radiation" you will find their website. It's not available everywhere, but will tell you where it's being used in your area. It sounds very promising. I know of a couple of people with liver mets who went through it and it worked!

My father is going to look into it for his liver mets due to his stage IV esophageal cancer.

It's worth a try:)

Blessings,
    Sally
  • jessica80
    sal314 said:

Have You Looked Into "Therasphere" Radiation Treatment?
    If you google "Therasphere Radiation" you will find their website. It's not available everywhere, but will tell you where it's being used in your area. It sounds very promising. I know of a couple of people with liver mets who went through it and it worked!

My father is going to look into it for his liver mets due to his stage IV esophageal cancer.

It's worth a try:)

Blessings,
    Sally

I havent heard of this
    I havent heard of this but I will be sure to ask about it when I go back!!Thank you very much!!
  • jessica80
    tgf said:

fellow Hoosier
    I'm in Bloomington ... and go for my pap smear Friday...and quite honestly ... I'm not looking forward to it. Not because it's a pap smear ... but I'm afraid of the results. I finished BC treatment a year ago and I just keep reading about it popping up in other places a year or so down the road. I'm on tamoxifen and I guess I'm just getting paranoid ...

hugs.
    teena

I was just taken off of
    I was just taken off of Tamoxifin cause it stoped working and switched to Aromisin and it has already shrank the ones that had reappeared!! I had a hysterectomy a year ago my cancer was her pos so it made since to get rid of the hormones that fed my cancer!!I wish you the best of luck and dont get to worried everything will turn out fine!!
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Places to check ...
    Jessica...here as some possible places to check to see if anything is available....

Duke University Hospital in Durham, N C
    Wake Forest Baptist Hospital in Winston Salem, N C
    MD Anderson. Texas

These places are all research/teaching hospitals..many clinical trials...Can't hurt to check with them

BEST WISHES NANCY
  • kim mom of three
    kim mom of three Member Posts: 26
    liver mets removed
    Jan 2011 I had a liver resection....diagnosed liver mets. Unknown primary