YAY!!! MY MOMMY IS DONE WITH CHEMO!!!!!

najely99
najely99 Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
HEY EVERYONE MY MOM IS FINALLY DONE WITH ALL 4 OF HER CHEMOTHERAPY, SHE JUST HAD HER APPT. WITH HER ONCOLOGIST AND HE GAVE HER THE FIVE YEAR PILL CALL TAMOXIFEN.... HAS ANYONE HAD ANY EXPIRIENCE WITH THE FIVE YEAR PILL??? I WOULD REALLY LIKE SOME FEEDBACK ON WAT MY MOM MIGHT EXPERIENCE OR ANY SIDE EFFECTS OF THE PILL... THANKS!!!

Comments

• cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Woo Hoo!
    Congratulations to you and your mom!!!

I have been on Tamoxifen since March of last year. The only side effect I've noticed was an increase in hot flashes (my doctor ended up prescribing Effexor, which has helped but not totally eliminated them).

Your mom's doctor should also monitor her bone density and she needs to keep updated on her pap exams as there is some increased risk of uterine cancer with Tamoxifen.

Overall, not too bad, and well worth it to keep the Beast at bay, at least for me!
  • pattimc
    pattimc Member Posts: 431
    Congratulations to your mom!!
    What a relief to be all done with it! Will she be having radiation,too? I'm on Tamoxifen and for me I've been pretty luck with minimal side effects. Mostly hot flashes, some aches and pains and weight gain (yuk!!) Other women have more side effects. We all handle things differently so take it with a grain of salt! She may breeze through it or have a tough time...just depends.

I wish her and you good luck with this part of her journey! What a special daughter you are!

Best,

Patti
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    pattimc said:

What a relief to be all done with it! Will she be having radiation,too? I'm on Tamoxifen and for me I've been pretty luck with minimal side effects. Mostly hot flashes, some aches and pains and weight gain (yuk!!) Other women have more side effects. We all handle things differently so take it with a grain of salt! She may breeze through it or have a tough time...just depends.

I wish her and you good luck with this part of her journey! What a special daughter you are!

Best,

Patti

YEA!!
    So glad your Mom is through with chemo! I have been on Tamoxifen since August. I agree with Patti and Cindy the hot flashes have been the worst, mine have not been terrible and have improved since I first started it. I was moody and irritable for the first few weeks but now other than the hot flashes doing good with it. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • LVG
    LVG Member Posts: 128
    YaHoooo!
    Congratulations to

YaHoooo!

And I wish I her better health to come.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    So glad
    your mom has finished chemo. As for Tamoxifen - my sister took it 9 years ago and had no side effects. But, everyone is different so don't know what she might expect. Wishing you well.
    {{hugs}} Char
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    cahjah75 said:

So glad
    your mom has finished chemo. As for Tamoxifen - my sister took it 9 years ago and had no side effects. But, everyone is different so don't know what she might expect. Wishing you well.
    {{hugs}} Char

Congradulations to Mom.... on a job well done :-)
    How wonderful that Mom has your love and support .. Not on any after care medication, but many WARRIORS here on this board are .. so I will refer to them on your question. I just wanted to pipe in here and say .. Congradulations to Mom, and send you a Giant hug for all that all you do for her.

Strength and Courage to you both!

Vicki Sam
  • EllenaMaria
    EllenaMaria Member Posts: 69
    Congrats to both of you.
    I have been reading posts tonight and decided to join after reading yours, especially when I saw you call your mom "mommy", it touched me.

First off let me say that Tamoxifen is an estrogen supressor. Breast cancer basically thrives with estrogen. So T does not allow an environment for cancer to live. One benefit is that it will reduce the chance of cancer in the other breast by 50%. The biggest drawback in the increased risk of uterine cancer but it is only a tiny risk. It puts a woman into a chemical menopause if she is premenopause. After the 5yrs you can come out of menopause but then you would switch to another med. There are sideeffects but everything has a cost. As my husband says, nothing in life is free.

I am 45 and in the first few weeks of taking T I felt just kinda icky all of the time, but not really sick, just icky. I started taking it in August and I have not really felt icky in a month or so. I get hot flashes, which for me I just feel really flush all of the sudden. Other than that it is not that bad.

For you to post on here shows such a love and devotion to your mom. She should be so very proud of you. My daughter turned 13 just after I started my chemo. This year was really hard for her and we are only learning just how much. Please keep the lines of communication open between both of you. You will both benefit.
  • AMD1083
    AMD1083 Member Posts: 3
    Congrats!!!
    I wish your

Congrats!!!
    I wish your family the best!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    I have been on it for about 18mths
    I am very lucky to not have many side effects...my hot flashes are what I would call mild compared to others. NIGHT sweats and on occassion severe leg/ foot cramps (only at night)

I have already had thickening of uterus even in the short time I have been on it..but I am being checked every 6mths to keep any eye on it.

I wish your mom good luck -
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Woo Hoo!
    Congratulations to you and your mom!!!

I have been on Tamoxifen since March of last year. The only side effect I've noticed was an increase in hot flashes (my doctor ended up prescribing Effexor, which has helped but not totally eliminated them).

Your mom's doctor should also monitor her bone density and she needs to keep updated on her pap exams as there is some increased risk of uterine cancer with Tamoxifen.

Overall, not too bad, and well worth it to keep the Beast at bay, at least for me!

Congrats to your Mom!
    Leeza

Congrats to your Mom!

Leeza
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    So happy for you
    and your Mom sweetie. Yes, I'm finishing my 5 year course with this medication and it does have it's side effects. Hot flashes, night sweats and leg pain. Tell your Mom to hang in there. I'm sure they'll be monitoring her.

Big hugs,

Sylvia
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    LVG said:

YaHoooo!
    Congratulations to

YaHoooo!

And I wish I her better health to come.

Your Mother is a chemo grad
    Your Mother is a chemo grad now! She has completed a huge milestone! I know you are very proud of her, as, we are.

Hugs, Angie
  • EllenaMaria
    EllenaMaria Member Posts: 69
    sea60 said:

So happy for you
    and your Mom sweetie. Yes, I'm finishing my 5 year course with this medication and it does have it's side effects. Hot flashes, night sweats and leg pain. Tell your Mom to hang in there. I'm sure they'll be monitoring her.

Big hugs,

Sylvia

Forgot something....
    I told my husband about my joining here after reading your post. It got us talking about Tamoxifen. He said that side effects are a good sign because it basically means it is doing it's job. He did not want to say anything to me before, not wanting to worry me but when I told him I initially had night sweats and felt icky all the time and got flush especially every evening, he was really relieved. I asked him why, after all we have been through, he did not say anything before and he just told me he did not want to worry me. He is so sweet.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Forgot something....
    I told my husband about my joining here after reading your post. It got us talking about Tamoxifen. He said that side effects are a good sign because it basically means it is doing it's job. He did not want to say anything to me before, not wanting to worry me but when I told him I initially had night sweats and felt icky all the time and got flush especially every evening, he was really relieved. I asked him why, after all we have been through, he did not say anything before and he just told me he did not want to worry me. He is so sweet.

You have a really sweet
    You have a really sweet hubby EllenaMaria. I am so happy that you have his support and love to help you. We are all blessed that have such wonderful spouses.

Hugs, Leeza
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    pattimc said:

Best,

Patti

Sending congrats for your
    Sending congrats for your Mom.
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    VickiSam said:

Congradulations to Mom.... on a job well done :-)
    How wonderful that Mom has your love and support .. Not on any after care medication, but many WARRIORS here on this board are .. so I will refer to them on your question. I just wanted to pipe in here and say .. Congradulations to Mom, and send you a Giant hug for all that all you do for her.

Strength and Courage to you both!

Vicki Sam

So happy to read your mom is
    So happy to read your mom is finished with chemo. Give her a big hug from me.

Lex