does it have to be a pet scan?

Annette 11
Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have completed chemo treatment, my onc. wants me to get a pet scan in Feb. just to make sure everything is good. I would rather have an MRI because I don't want to be exposed to anymore unnecesary radiation. For Pet they inject glucose/with radiation so if there is any cancer it will light up. The receptionist mentioned pet scan infused CT scan. I don't know what they are talking about. I had this at the beginning of all this 6 months ago. I understand that MRI does not have radiation so wouldn't it be better to get that? I know alot of ladies have not had any scans after chemo. My cancer did not spread to lymph nodes, had bil.mastectomy.
I haven't been online much after Heidi's passing but I think of all my sisters often.
hugs
Annette

Comments

• cookie97
    cookie97 Member Posts: 200
    Hope this helps

One of the main differences between PET scans and other imaging tests like CT scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is that the PET scan reveals the cellular level metabolic changes occurring in an organ or tissue. This is important and unique because disease processes often begin with functional changes at the cellular level. A PET scan can often detect these very early changes whereas a CT or MRI detect changes a little later as the disease begins to cause changes in the structure of organs or tissues.

Peace and Love,
    Edie
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    cookie97 said:

Hope this helps

One of the main differences between PET scans and other imaging tests like CT scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) is that the PET scan reveals the cellular level metabolic changes occurring in an organ or tissue. This is important and unique because disease processes often begin with functional changes at the cellular level. A PET scan can often detect these very early changes whereas a CT or MRI detect changes a little later as the disease begins to cause changes in the structure of organs or tissues.

Peace and Love,
    Edie

I have had MRi and CT MRI of
    I have had MRi and CT MRI of breast and CT pre treatment. but none after. some docs order them and some dont. My doc does not think they are helpful. I have mixed feelings. as far as radiation i need one of those tags, i'd probably set off a geiger counter.
  • pinkflutterby
    pinkflutterby Member Posts: 615 Member
    carkris said:

I have had MRi and CT MRI of
    I have had MRi and CT MRI of breast and CT pre treatment. but none after. some docs order them and some dont. My doc does not think they are helpful. I have mixed feelings. as far as radiation i need one of those tags, i'd probably set off a geiger counter.

I think I have had every
    I think I have had every scan possible, multiple times. I must glow in the dark!!!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    cookie97 said:

Hope this helps

Peace and Love,
    Edie

Hi Annette. A PET scan is
    Hi Annette. A PET scan is the only test I haven't had yet. My oncologist hasn't suggested it yet. If he does, ofcourse, I will have it. Edie's explanation was great.

Good luck to you,

Jan
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Annette
    I had a PET scan before starting chemo. I'm in my 2nd week of rads and see onc in 2 months at which time he will have me get a CT scan.
    Char
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Annette
    I had a PET scan before starting chemo. I'm in my 2nd week of rads and see onc in 2 months at which time he will have me get a CT scan.
    Char

I haven't had a PET scan
    I haven't had a PET scan either. Is this something I should bring up to my oncologist?

I didn't have chemo, so, does that have anything to do with ordering the test?

♥ Noel