Bestymorgan- any update?

SusanEliz
SusanEliz Member Posts: 50
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Betsy,

I was wondering how you were making out with your nipple reconstruction. What did the doctor say on Tuesday? Does he still think there's hope for saving it? I hope it works out for you- for both of us!

It will be two weeks for me on Thursday, and one still looks pretty good and the other is still black and hard. I didn't expect this to be such a big deal since it was "only about 45 minutes to an hour" for both. Quick surgery = quick recovery, I figured. I should be all healed by now! I never thought to ask the doctor how long they would take to heal but in my head I gave it two weeks and done. Apparently, not so fast! And I think I'm becoming a little compulsive about checking them throughout the day,lol.

On the bright side, the good nipple looks very realistic and I'm very happy with it. If they both looked like that I'd be telling everyone who wanted them to get them. But I guess like all of the decisions revolving around treating and beating breast cancer, everything feels like weighing the cost vs. benefits.

My anxiety about it(and resentment about not being warned this could happen) has gotten much better. My patience as it heals? Well, let's just say I'm still working on that....

Best regards,

Susan

Comments

• Dawne.Hope
    Dawne.Hope Member Posts: 823
    yes, betsymorgan - how are you?
    I've wondered too how you're doing! Hope everything is better now.

SusanEliz - I'm so sorry that you've had problems too but I am encouraged to know that there are others out there like me. Like you, I had one side that looks fabulous. The other side is still store and just doesn't look as good.

My PS told me to cover mine with gauze for 4 weeks. Then, I could get tats at 6-8 weeks. I'm not going to be healed up enough for tats in eight weeks, but maybe these guidelines will help you. BTW, it was 4 weeks for me last Thursday and I'm still wearing gauze because my left side is still pretty sore.
  • SusanEliz
    SusanEliz Member Posts: 50

yes, betsymorgan - how are you?
    I've wondered too how you're doing! Hope everything is better now.

SusanEliz - I'm so sorry that you've had problems too but I am encouraged to know that there are others out there like me. Like you, I had one side that looks fabulous. The other side is still store and just doesn't look as good.

My PS told me to cover mine with gauze for 4 weeks. Then, I could get tats at 6-8 weeks. I'm not going to be healed up enough for tats in eight weeks, but maybe these guidelines will help you. BTW, it was 4 weeks for me last Thursday and I'm still wearing gauze because my left side is still pretty sore.

Hi Dawne
    Thanks for responding. I saw your posts on the original nipple reconstruction post also. I do not know anyone else going through this so it really helps to find someone on-line who has or is. I'll be sending positive thoughts your way for a beautiful outcome! Thank God for this board and the women on it- it has answered a lot of questions and made me feel a lot better!

Best regards,
    Susan