Having port removed tomorrow

cahjah75
cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
as an outpatient procedure in the hospital. My husband is taking me. I'm going for rads an hour earlier. I have a horrible cold but still went to radiation today. Fortunately I didn't have to cough during the treatment. Oh, I found out that every Monday I see the dr and I get weighed. We have a big storm heading our way for Wednesday so treatment may get added on at the end.
Char

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hey Char,
    Good luck tomorrow with your port removal and your rads. I'll have my port until at least June, but I don't even know it's there.

You must be getting the storm that is due here tomorrow.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • GayleMc
    GayleMc Member Posts: 311 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Hey Char,
    Good luck tomorrow with your port removal and your rads. I'll have my port until at least June, but I don't even know it's there.

You must be getting the storm that is due here tomorrow.

xoxo,
    Jean

Port removal is so much
    Port removal is so much easier than port insertion. Mine was removed in the doctor's office while we chit chatted. Hope your weather isn't too extreme. I live in PA and we have dodged every major storm so far. Best of luck.
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Hi Char...
    I was very happy when my port came out. Also done outpatient. Piece o' cake!

I had one day during rads that I just couldn't make it (an hour each way) due to heavy snow. And they added it on at the end. Better to be safe.

Hugs,
    CR
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Good luck Char! I'll be
    Good luck Char! I'll be right there with you holding your hand. Let us know how it goes.
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

Good luck Char! I'll be
    Good luck Char! I'll be right there with you holding your hand. Let us know how it goes.

I cried tears of joy, after the removal of 'Victor', it
    meant to me .. that I was NO longer a chemo infused patient. Getting back to normal .. slower but surely.

I'll be there tomorrow with you and C.C. .. however, I will be the one rambling on about WW and our extra 49 bonus points per week. LOL ..

Strength and Courage .. and happy about you getting back to normal.

Vicki Sam
  • Sher43009
    Sher43009 Member Posts: 602 Member
    VickiSam said:

I cried tears of joy, after the removal of 'Victor', it
    meant to me .. that I was NO longer a chemo infused patient. Getting back to normal .. slower but surely.

I'll be there tomorrow with you and C.C. .. however, I will be the one rambling on about WW and our extra 49 bonus points per week. LOL ..

Strength and Courage .. and happy about you getting back to normal.

Vicki Sam

Hey Char
    Good luck today with your port coming out. Mine is suppose to come out tomorrow--but with this storm coming I don't know if it'll happen. Let us know how you made out. Hope you feel better soon.

Sher
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    cough
    I remember those days...of holding back cough...tech would give me hard candy to keep in my mouth...which worked ...

good luck with procedure...sending good vibes your way
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Char, another milestone
    Char, another milestone achieved. I did not have a port but I can understand the relief in getting one more reminder of this beast out of your body. Sending strength to get through the surgery and also the rads. Good luck and please keep us posted.
  • cahjah75
    So I get
    to the radiation treatment center and the tech tells me one of their machines is down so I had to wait about 1/2 hour. Got radiation and then headed over to hospital. The poor nurse had to try 3 times before an IV line would work. A very handsome dr removed my port. Of course, my head was under a tent and I had to breath out of my mouth. But it's out and I will heal...... We are in for a real big snow storm - 12-28"! My radiation treatment center called to say they're closing so I will have to either add it to the end or go in on a Saturday. When I go Thursday we'll reschedule it. I was coughing and blowing my nose so much I was embarrassed to be spreading my germs in the hospital.
    Char
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    cahjah75 said:

So I get
    to the radiation treatment center and the tech tells me one of their machines is down so I had to wait about 1/2 hour. Got radiation and then headed over to hospital. The poor nurse had to try 3 times before an IV line would work. A very handsome dr removed my port. Of course, my head was under a tent and I had to breath out of my mouth. But it's out and I will heal...... We are in for a real big snow storm - 12-28"! My radiation treatment center called to say they're closing so I will have to either add it to the end or go in on a Saturday. When I go Thursday we'll reschedule it. I was coughing and blowing my nose so much I was embarrassed to be spreading my germs in the hospital.
    Char

Char...
    Sounds like a day! Glad the port is gone though! Feel better soon!

Hugs,
    CR
  • CypressCynthia
    cahjah75 said:

So I get
    Char

I am very glad that it was a
    I am very glad that it was a very handsome doctor--that always helps! My back surgeon was so handsome that I think I had a crush...lol. Also glad the port is out--one less thing to worry about! Hope the cold is better soon. Please take good care of yourself. I'm praying for you.
  • CypressCynthia
    cahjah75 said:

So I get
    Char

I am very glad that it was a
    I am very glad that it was a very handsome doctor--that always helps! My back surgeon was so handsome that I think I had a crush...lol. Also glad the port is out--one less thing to worry about! Hope the cold is better soon. Please take good care of yourself. I'm parying for you.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Yay on getting that port
    Yay on getting that port removed!!! Another step, my friend :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • cahjah75
    Snowed in today
    and my chest feels like it shrunk. When I move either arm it pulls my skin or so it feels. The port removal will take 10-14 days to heal but the other side that's getting rads has been sending me twinges and skin is not pink but very tight. I've only had 4 radiation treatments and I wonder what the next 4 1/2 weeks are going to bring. Ugh!
    Char