chemo induced menopause and hormone therapy

Jennifer1961
Jennifer1961 Member Posts: 137
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Okay, so the type of hormone therapy you take depends a lot on whether you are pre or post menopause. I was not at all in menopause before all this started, but now haven't had a period since July and definetly have menopause symptoms. So do I could as pre menopause or post? Seems like my onc is considering me pre since that's the way I was when I started and there is no real test for menopause. any thoughts?

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    I was also premenopausal,
    I was also premenopausal, and have not had a period since my first chemo. I am still "at risk" to get my period and some women do. So they keep you on tamoxifen for two years then aromotase inhibitor after that. when you are officially considered in menopause. Some women, for varying reasons are on tamoxifen post menopause. usually a tolerance issue or it works best against an active cancer.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Jennifer,
    My period actually stopped last February, when this b.c. crap started. Until I decided to have my ovaries removed, my onc was going to put me on tamoxifen. Since I had them removed, she put me on the Femara. There is a blood test to see if you are postmenopausal. It doesn't tell you have far into menopause you are, just if you are postmenopausal. However, I'm not sure that would work for the chemo induced menopause.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    There is a test
    My pcp took tests on me pryor to BC and I was Pre Peremenopaulso (spelling) So after my first chemo...I bled like a stuck pig, was not cool at all. but my case is way different than most, I'm triple negative and alergic to my cocktail....I did not do chemo well at all.
    Needless to say my visitor never came back I'm 51 now and Feb 2 2009 was when I found out I had BC.
    I dont miss it at all, and I have been able to take care of
    Hot flashes and what not with meds antidepressants.
    I am not able to do hormone theropy...I wish I could!
    Take care Karie : )
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

Hi Jennifer,
    My period actually stopped last February, when this b.c. crap started. Until I decided to have my ovaries removed, my onc was going to put me on tamoxifen. Since I had them removed, she put me on the Femara. There is a blood test to see if you are postmenopausal. It doesn't tell you have far into menopause you are, just if you are postmenopausal. However, I'm not sure that would work for the chemo induced menopause.

xoxo,
    Jean

There is a test that your
    There is a test that your oncologist can do to tell if you are postmenopausal. Have you had that?

Jan
  • CeeCee410
    CeeCee410 Member Posts: 19
    I am in "chemopause" and
    I am in "chemopause" and will remain on Tamoxifen for five years (+ER/PR & -HER2 with positive axillary nodes) unless I decide to have my ovaries removed, in which case I will be switched to Arimidex. MO highly, highly suggests that I go through with this surgery. Apparently Arimidex has a higher percentage of effectively preventing recurrence than Tamoxifen, but because I still have chemo brain, I'm unable to remember the exact percentages (LOL!) I did not want to have ovaries removed at same time as BMX & TE's - too much at one time, but I'm probably going to do it so long as my insurance will approve it, as it is considered "prophylactic."
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    I was induced for menopause
    I was induced for menopause with chemo( ER+,PR+,HER+) at age 44. I finished with chemo in Jan 2010, Herceptin in August 2010, radiation in March 2010, and started Tamoxifen shortly afterwards. I have not had a menstrual since October 2009. My oncologist did not mention having my ovaries removed. We will probably talk about my ovaries at some point.

I should say that I thought my menstrual was returning last December as I was spotting ever so lightly. My hot flashes seemed to subside for short while only to return. My poor body has sure been through some MAJOR CHANGES. I feel for it.

Good luck with your journey.
    BL
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Here are my rambling thoughts :-)
    My periods stopped during chemo and I had menopausal symptoms (age 33 at the time). A few years later, while still on tamoxifen but off chemo, my periods came back regular as clockwork. I went through "real" menopause at age 43 and my doc checked my estrogen level to be sure that it was menopause as I was having irregular bleeding. The doc also did a series of endometrial biopsies until all bleeding stopped because I had not been off of tamoxifen for very long (tamoxifen can increase risk of uterine cancer and uterine cancer often presents with irregular bleeding). But it was just menopause.

So the moral of my story is chemo interrupted my periods and gave me menopausal symptoms but the menopause was not real. However, my younger sister was older when she had chemo (41) and her periods never started again. So age probably makes a difference.
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Menopause
    is one whole year without menses. So, you're probably perimenopause because of your bc treatment. My sister was 49 and premenopausal when dx with DCIS. She was on Tamoxifen for 5 years. My other sister had a hysterectomy the year before being dx with bc so she was menopausal. She was given Arimidex for 5 years. I am 61 and 11 post menopausal so I was given Arimidex.
    Char
  • Jennifer1961
    Jennifer1961 Member Posts: 137
    cahjah75 said:

Menopause
    is one whole year without menses. So, you're probably perimenopause because of your bc treatment. My sister was 49 and premenopausal when dx with DCIS. She was on Tamoxifen for 5 years. My other sister had a hysterectomy the year before being dx with bc so she was menopausal. She was given Arimidex for 5 years. I am 61 and 11 post menopausal so I was given Arimidex.
    Char

Thanks everyone. Going to
    Thanks everyone. Going to onc. on Friday and probably start Tamox. then.
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member

Thanks everyone. Going to
    Thanks everyone. Going to onc. on Friday and probably start Tamox. then.

Good luck with your
    Good luck with your appointment on Friday Jennifer!

Hugs, Leeza
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    You already have a lot of
    You already have a lot of replies but here is what happened to me. I had chemo induced menopause which we weren't sure of at first because the onc said you'd have to go a year without periods before they consider you in menopause. Had to find out faster because I had started to spot while on Tamoxifen. he did a blood test and it said I was in menopause and he switched me to Aromasin.
  • cindycflynn
    cindycflynn Member Posts: 1,132 Member
    Also had chemo induced menopause
    And I guess it's now official since it's been over 1 year since my last period. I had chemo starting in December of '09, my last period was early January, 201, and I started Tamoxifen about a month after I finished chemo.

My doctor said that she would probably switch me to an Aromatase Inhibitor after about 2 years on the Tamoxifen.
  • Mariannemm
    Mariannemm Member Posts: 136
    Tamoxifen for me!
    I went into menopause when I had chemo. My doctor put me on Tamoxifen when my chemo ended. Then 6 weeks later suggested I have a hystorectomy. So 2 weeks after that I was in for more surgery. My onc told me that I would be on Tamoxifen for 5 years wheather I had a hystorectomy or not. Due to my age he was worried my ovaries would wake up and start working again. I had lots of lymph nodes involved and he wants to be on the safe side. After the 1st 5 years I will switch to another type of medicine. I was very pre-menopausal! Marianne