Avon walk - who has done NY?

sbmly53
sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This years walk is on Oct 15 & 16. 26.2 miles the first day and 13 the next. Yikes! Do you really walk the whole way or what? What is the time frame?

I would love to do this. I have an appt to get a shot in the hip (darn bursitis!) on Monday. I can walk the halls of the local school until better weather, and then outside. With all this time to get in shape, I'm sure? I could walk 10 miles or so, but 39?

What's your experience?

Sue

Comments

• Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Sue,
    I have a friend that has walked in the Avon walk at least 2 years now. She has done 2 different ones. Not sure how long they give you to walk, I do know that it is very expensive to walk. You have to raise a minimum amount of money. Not sure what the exact amount is but I know it is well over $1,000.00. I could probably do it, but wouldn't be able raise the funds.

Hoping to hear from others.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • cookie97
    cookie97 Member Posts: 200
    I've not done
    i've not done the Avon walk, but I have done others and we've been able to do them in a relay fashion. That might help you raise the funds required for the walk. We have a half marathon in town that supports our local breast cancer survivor's, so the money stays in our area. It's a great group of women and men that helped a lot of people in need of assisrance with co-pays, electric bills etc. The most I have walked is 9.3 miles and that was taxing.
    Good luck and I hope this helps,
    Peace and Love,
    Edie
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Sue,
    Double post