chemo xeloda

belindahill
belindahill Member Posts: 144
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi, my husband is in his 5th cycle after surgery to remove stage 3b tumor from colon,so far so good, but chemo is getting him down constantly going for to toilet for loose stools, sometime 10 times a day! anyone having same proplems he is 53.

Comments

• luvmum
    luvmum Member Posts: 457 Member
    my mum
    Hi my mum had the same problem and ended up staying in the hospital for 9 days. The onc stopped xeloda but that didn't help to stop her diarrhea. In the end, her onc changed her regimen completely (from xeloda to 5-fu).
    Please inform your husband's oncologist ASAP.
    Best wishes,
    Dora
  • lizzydavis
    lizzydavis Member Posts: 893
    luvmum said:

my mum
    Hi my mum had the same problem and ended up staying in the hospital for 9 days. The onc stopped xeloda but that didn't help to stop her diarrhea. In the end, her onc changed her regimen completely (from xeloda to 5-fu).
    Best wishes,
    Dora

Try the BRAT Diet. Bananas Rice Applesauce and Toast
    BelindaHill,

Try the BRAT Diet. -------- Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. Those foods can bulk the stools. And please call your oncologist's office. That is what they are there for and it is important for them to hear all problems.

Also, tell your hubby it will get better. It takes time. Tell him to concentrate on the light at the end of the tunnel. He will get through this. He will get through this.

Hugs,
    Lizzy
  • djm_2010
    djm_2010 Member Posts: 52
    I'm also on xeloda right now
    I'm also on xeloda right now for my rectal cancer with oxaliplatin but and have LBM but can be controlled by anti diarrhea pills. Aside from that I my nails has darkened but I just used dark nail polish.. I'm on my 2nd cycle tomorrow and hoping for the best.
  • belindahill
    luvmum said:

my mum
    Best wishes,
    Dora

chemo
    Hello, thank you for your reply, I'm finding it all very hard, tumor remove Aug, because of a perforated bowel, cecum. No other problems only with the wanting to go to the toiled often! taking lots of anti diarrhea pills, have been in touch with oncologist and he said it will get worse and not too worry, he hasn't lost weight, because he goes often but for very little.
    Its so good to be in touch with people going through the same. Hope your mom OK
  • belindahill

Try the BRAT Diet. Bananas Rice Applesauce and Toast
    BelindaHill,

Try the BRAT Diet. -------- Bananas, Rice, Applesauce, and Toast. Those foods can bulk the stools. And please call your oncologist's office. That is what they are there for and it is important for them to hear all problems.

Also, tell your hubby it will get better. It takes time. Tell him to concentrate on the light at the end of the tunnel. He will get through this. He will get through this.

Hugs,
    Lizzy

chemo
    Thank you so much, so glad to be in touch with other people, have felt so isolated.xx