fluid retention

alsupd
alsupd Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Finished treatment almost two months ago. Yahoo! Had triple negative breast caner...scary time. Now I am fighting fluid retention. Legs swell like crazy in the afternoon...arms swelled and breast swelled big time. Anyone have this experience????

Comments

• CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Hope this helps
    Here is a link and some of info copied from the same link:

Chemo and Swelling

What are some symptoms of swelling to look for?

•Feet and lower legs get larger when you sit or walk.
    •Take a look at your feet, ankles and hands. Are they swollen? When you press on the skin with your finger, is there an indentation that stays for a few seconds? If so, you may have "pitting edema."
    •Hands feel tight when you make a fist
    •Rings are too tight
    •Abdomen appears to be swelling or distended
    •Shortness of breath (especially when lying down)

Things you can do to manage swelling:

•Elevate your feet as often as possible. (Either sitting in a chair with your feet on a stool with a pillow or in the bed or couch with feet up on two pillows)
    •Do not stand for long periods of time.
    •Avoid tight clothing (shoes, girdles, etc).
    •Do not cross your legs.
    •Reduce your salt intake if swelling is present. Avoid foods such as bouillon, potato chips, tomato juice, bacon, ham, canned soups, soy sauce, and table salt, for example.
    •Try to eat a balanced diet (see eating well section).
    •If your swelling is severe, consider wearing Jobst stockings or TED hose.
    •Weigh yourself daily. Notify your doctor or health care provider if you have gained 5 pounds or more in a week.
    •Take your medications exactly as prescribed.
    Drugs or recommendations that may be prescribed by your doctor or health care provider for symptoms of swelling:

•Depending upon the causes of your swelling, your doctor or health care provider may prescribe a diuretic. Diuretics - may be known as "water pills" as they work by making you urinate out extra fluid. Some examples of this medication may include furosemide (Lasix(), and Hydrochlorthiazide. You may receive this medication alone or in combination with other medications.
    •Your doctor or health care provider may recommend that you see a registered dietician to help plan a diet tailored to your condition.

When to call your doctor or health care provider about swelling:

Call your doctor or health care provider immediately:
    •If you are short of breath.

Call your doctor or health care provider within 24 hours:
    •If you have gained 5 pounds or more in one week.
    •If you develop sudden and severe fluid retention.
    •Your feet or hands feel cold to the touch.
    •If you are unable to eat for more than a day.
    •If you have urinated only a little bit or not at all.
    •If the swelling appears to move up your arms or legs.
  • aysemari
    aysemari Member Posts: 1,596 Member
    Legs....
    throughout my entire chemo treatment,this was my most problematic area.
    cramp, restless legs, heaviness,rubbery and last but least the joint pain in
    my knees and ankles. I am still not done, doing Herceptin but am done with
    taxotere and carbo since July. I had a lot of swelling of ankles and knees if
    I walked or attempted to exercise. And the pain would knock me off my feet.
    I took the advice of a homeopathic doctor and started taking Glucosamine,
    I take this in capsule form,for joint pain and Glutamine L (powder form) to help
    me with water retention. Of course always check with your oncologist.

But she explained it to me so well, it made a lot of sense. She said after chemo
    or digestive system is damaged and does not absorb as well as it should, this can
    lead to slowing dow of the tyroids which can lead to side effects like water retention,
    joint pain, difficulty sleeping, low energy levels - the list is long.

This has really worked for me but again check with your oncologist.

Hugs,
    Ayse
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Cynthia
    said everything I would have. I wear a knee brace for severe arthritis. I could not wear it during my chemo treatments because sitting in the chairs with my legs dangling (I'm quite short) made my legs swell. Being on steroids didn't help either. I finished chemo Dec. 7th but have to watch the salt intake. My eyes, hands, ankles, feet and legs were continuing to swell so my pcp put me on Lasix. It has helped. I sit with my feet elevated in the evening.
    Char
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Cynthia
    said everything I would have. I wear a knee brace for severe arthritis. I could not wear it during my chemo treatments because sitting in the chairs with my legs dangling (I'm quite short) made my legs swell. Being on steroids didn't help either. I finished chemo Dec. 7th but have to watch the salt intake. My eyes, hands, ankles, feet and legs were continuing to swell so my pcp put me on Lasix. It has helped. I sit with my feet elevated in the evening.
    Char

I know some take Lasix as
    I know some take Lasix as Char wrote to help reduce fluid retention. Ask your doctor about that and let us know.

Leeza
  • new2me
    new2me Member Posts: 177 Member
    I'm out chemo 3 months
    And still can't seem to get rid out this fluid retention. It's mostly in my midwaist. The dr. said he can even feel it. The other day when I took my socks off I noticed such and indent in my ankles - Also I am now unable to wear my rings because of the swelling in my fingers - alot like arthritis. I wake up in the night with my hands hurts and fingers so swollen I can barely bend them. I'm taking Naperxon(sp)for that. As for the water retention I am taking lasix also - can't tell a difference yet, but I just started taking them everyday not too long ago.
    anyone out there know how long this will last.????

But....and I say this happily.......all these are doable compared to what we went through with the Chemo.

Love to you all, Kelly