my toes, feet are hurting and can't stop it

upnorthlive57
upnorthlive57 Member Posts: 41
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
sorry Ayse, I didnt get back with you I left again after just getting back from vacation. my feet my toes and nails are a mess!!! toe nails growing back over the top of old ones and the colors are black red and grey with a hump at the growth area..weird and my other toes along with bottoms of my feet hurt. heard it was from chemo whatever there has to be an answer other than vicodin....

Comments

• joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    My feet burned
    after the 3rd Chemo treatment my soles burned terribly. I work as a bookkeeper (lets not talk about the mistakes from Chemo brain!) and I would sit at my desk with my shoes off and my feet on ice packs. This really helped. My onc said he'd prescribe something for neuropathy if it continued, but thankfully,it only lasted a week.
    Good luck.
    JoAnn
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Call your oncologist
    I didn't have the same chemo years ago, so I really don't know about this, but I found the following info online. Please always check with your onc first!

"Toenail Care Tips
    Toenails grow half as fast as fingernails, or about half a centimeter every three months. Like fingernails, toenails can develop disorders, lines, ridges, discolorations, and even come loose during chemotherapy. To keep your toenails healthy during treatment and recovery, try these tips:

•During a chemo infusion, try soaking your fingers and toenails in ice water. Like sucking on ice while having chemo, this can help prevent nail problems as well as mouth sores.
    •Clip toenails straight across, keeping them short. This helps prevent breakage and splitting, as well as ingrown toenail. Try soaking your toes in warm water for a short while before clipping the nails, as this will soften them, and may prevent splitting or cracking as you cut your nails.
    •Keep your toenails clean and moisturized. If you do a pedicure, sterilize your tools in bleach and water beforehand, to prevent infections. Cut away any loose cuticle, don't rip, as this may cause bleeding and leave you prone to infection.
    •Fragile nails may be strengthened with biotin, a water-soluble B-complex vitamin, at 5 mg per day. Tea tree oil can be used for fungal infections in toenails, if those occur. Clear polish may also help protect toenails during treatment.
    •Try to avoid injury to your toes, as bruises will heal very slowly.
    •Wear open-toed or comfortable wide-toed shoes, to improve circulation and provide protection for loose or fragile toenails."
    http://breastcancer.about.com/od/generalsideeffects/qt/toenail_care.htm