Mom with Breast Mets- Treatment in Pill form?

1Teresa
1Teresa Member Posts: 67
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
My mom has mets to her bones really bad. She was just dx Dec. 1, 2010. The doc has said she has less then one year to live without treatment. It's a long story but for the last 2 years my mom has had 2 surgeries and 4 chemo treatments and lots of complications that kept her in the hospital and rehab for 172 days. She has only had 3 good quality of life months in 2 years. She has veins running from needles now and it takes about 20 pokes to get veins and even then they have to tape the needle down and stuff to keep it in. She is tired of being a pincushion. She is not wanting any treatment now that would require a needle just to prolong her life since the doc says there is no cure. Is there a magic pill form she could take?

Comments

• smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Hello Teresa, I am so sorry
    Hello Teresa, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom, I don't know of any pill form of chemo. I just wanted you to know that your Mom and you are in my prayers. And she is very lucky to have you standing by her. All my prayers and thoughts are with you. Kay
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    so sorry...
    she has to go through all that...I wish her luck...and find magic pill....

any way they can put in Pic line (spelling?) my mom did not have cancer but many other issues and they put one in used for blood work and meds...I am sure if works for anyone or what...but just a thought...

I am sure doctors would have mentioned if it would help...
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Teresa, I'm so sorry that
    Teresa, I'm so sorry that your mom has to go through this on top of everything else she has already dealt with. I would think that she could have a port placed and then no more need to use her veins. I personally did not have a port but there are many ladies on here who have. I sure hope that relief can be found for your mom and that she gets plenty more quality time. Good luck and keep us posted.
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Teresa, I'm so sorry that
    Teresa, I'm so sorry that your mom has to go through this on top of everything else she has already dealt with. I would think that she could have a port placed and then no more need to use her veins. I personally did not have a port but there are many ladies on here who have. I sure hope that relief can be found for your mom and that she gets plenty more quality time. Good luck and keep us posted.

yes there is a pill form of
    yes there is a pill form of chemo,a gentleman was on it for melinoma cancer so i really don't know if it would work for bone cancer or not but don't give up on one opinion thats something we have to learn to do not just take what our dr's say and give up i don't know how clinical trails work but try that also.MollyZ
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Ask about a port or PICC
    Ask about a port or PICC line for infusion. Keeps from continual vein stabs.

The gentleman I gave rides to for his rads this summer was taking an oral chemo. Don't know anything about it though.
  • 1Teresa
    1Teresa Member Posts: 67
    Rague said:

Ask about a port or PICC
    Ask about a port or PICC line for infusion. Keeps from continual vein stabs.

The gentleman I gave rides to for his rads this summer was taking an oral chemo. Don't know anything about it though.

Port
    Mom did have a port before, and Im sure her doc would allow it again but mom wont do it. She is just tired of being a pincushion and with the news of one year and the news of uncurable, she just doesnt want anymore pain under any circumstances. About the only way she would agree to treatment to prolong her life is if it comes in a pill form that doesnt hurt (and even then, only if it doesnt make her nasueas because she has broken ribs and throwing up is very painful).

Thanks for all the well wishes for my mom. If someone is posting on the forums in this site, I figure each and every person has their own personal battle or story of a loved one...... my heart goes out to all of you right back.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    Pill chemotherapy
    The only pill form of chemotherapy that I am aware of is Temador..my best friend took this for brain cancer..she has an incurable form of it..Glioblastoma multiforme Stage IV... For some reason certain brain cancers respond better to pill form of chem. Best place for answers,though is her oncologist, even The American Cancer Society..

I wish you well
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    MAJW said:

Pill chemotherapy
    The only pill form of chemotherapy that I am aware of is Temador..my best friend took this for brain cancer..she has an incurable form of it..Glioblastoma multiforme Stage IV... For some reason certain brain cancers respond better to pill form of chem. Best place for answers,though is her oncologist, even The American Cancer Society..

I wish you well

I'm so sorry Theresa. My
    I'm so sorry Theresa. My prayers are with you both.
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Oral Chemo for Metastatic Breast Cancer
    1st let me say how terribly sorry I am that you and your mother are going through such a horrible time. I had my last chemo for b/c in August and my husband previously had colon cancer. Part of his chemo regimen was the oral chemo drug Xeloda. Xeloda (capecitabine) was approved by the FDA in 1998 for the treatment of metastatic colorectal cancer, Dukes’ C colon cancer (with complete removal of the tumor), and METASTATIC BREAST CANCER that has not responded to Taxol (paclitaxel) and anthracycline-containing chemotherapy such as Adriamycin.

I wouldn't call this a "magic pill" by any means but it could not hurt to ask your mother's oncologist whether this would be an option for her.

Good luck and best wishes.
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Hello Teresa, I am so sorry
    Hello Teresa, I am so sorry to hear about your Mom, I don't know of any pill form of chemo. I just wanted you to know that your Mom and you are in my prayers. And she is very lucky to have you standing by her. All my prayers and thoughts are with you. Kay

Just wanting to send prayers
    Just wanting to send prayers for your Mother.

Hugs, Angie