Need help finding the right words

tgf
tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I need some help finding the right words to add to a card ... and I know how great you all are with words and expressing your feelings ... so ... I'm open to suggestions ...

The situation is ... to make a long story long ... my daughter-in-law's mother has just been diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. She is a wonderful person ... and my son and the grandkids are crazy about her. She's one of those "glue that holds a family together." I love her to pieces and wish I could do something to help ... but she's in Pennsylvania and I'm in Indiana. My son and daughter-in-law live in Connecticut ... so they aren't that nearby either. I just feel so helpless. I'm actually having a harder time dealing with her diagnosis than I did my own diagnosis of BC. Maybe because pancreatic cancer seems so "final." It just breaks my heart and I found a wonderful card that says " If there's one thing you can be sure of, it's this: whatever comes you won't be alone. You'll have thoughts and prayers surrounding and protecting you every step of the way. So just picture yourself right there in the middle of a big circle... because that's where you are. And there's no safer place to be."

Anyway ... I want to add a personal note to the card ... but I can't come up with the right words to say what I mean.

Suggestions?

Thank you ... and love you all.

hugs.
teena

Comments

• cookie97
    cookie97 Member Posts: 200
    Here's a little ditty I like....
    This is my wish for you: Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag, beauty for your eyes to see, friendships to brighten your being, faith so that you can believe, confidence for when you doubt, courage to know yourself, patience to accept the truth, Love to complete your life. - Author Unknown
    I also wanted to let you know that my sister was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at 32 years young. That was 11 years ago, not only that she also had another child that was conceived as she was celebrating her 33rd birthday. Yeah I'm sure she's in medical journal somewhere. There's always hope.
    Hope this helped.
    Edie
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    cookie97 said:

Here's a little ditty I like....
    This is my wish for you: Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag, beauty for your eyes to see, friendships to brighten your being, faith so that you can believe, confidence for when you doubt, courage to know yourself, patience to accept the truth, Love to complete your life. - Author Unknown
    I also wanted to let you know that my sister was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer at 32 years young. That was 11 years ago, not only that she also had another child that was conceived as she was celebrating her 33rd birthday. Yeah I'm sure she's in medical journal somewhere. There's always hope.
    Hope this helped.
    Edie

Edie, those are wonderful words!
    And I'm dancing for your mom!!!!!!

I, too, have a dear friend who is a long-time pancreatic cancer survivor...

Dutch hugs, Kathi
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    I actually like plain old
    I actually like plain old honesty...in addition to your sentiment in the card ( which is lovely, btw) because you know and love her, I would say just what you already did: I want to add a personal touch to this card, but I can't come up with the right words. We
    are joined by heartstrings as Kindred Spirits ; I hope you know that I love you and am with you every step of your journey.
    Love,
    Teena

Short, sweet, and to the point!
    Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    chenheart said:

I actually like plain old honesty...in addition to your sentiment in the card ( which is lovely, btw) because you know and love her, I would say just what you already did: I want to add a personal touch to this card, but I can't come up with the right words. We
    are joined by heartstrings as Kindred Spirits ; I hope you know that I love you and am with you every step of your journey.
    Love,
    Teena

Hugs,
    Chen♥

teena ... I am so very sorry ... Wonderful suggestions
    made by our glorious - Kindered Spirits. The only thing I would add here .. is to purchase another few cards and mail 1 each week ...

2nd card -- message of .. Please call me anytime day or night, I am here for you ..

3rd card .. thinking about you ...

On my darker days during my endless chemo treatments -- just receiving a card - would brighten up my day or week .. knowing that someone took the time to let me know that they were thinking of me, and keeping me in their prayers .. meant so much.

Vicki Sam
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    chenheart said:

Love,
    Teena

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Chen, you have a good point, too, dearheart!
    ....following the old "it is what it is" thought...

Support is so important at this time!

Dutch hugs, Kathi
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    KathiM said:

Chen, you have a good point, too, dearheart!
    ....following the old "it is what it is" thought...

Support is so important at this time!

Dutch hugs, Kathi

Thank you
    Thank you all for your wonderful suggestions ... which I will take. And ... I do plan on sending a card or note every week... just to let her know I'm thinking of her.

With this first card I am also sending along a small "angel coin-like thing" ... that she can carry with her. I have one I carry in my purse ... and this one I'm sending has "strength" inscribed on the back. I know from my own experience ... and I believe many of you sisters out there ... that we can never have enough angels around. Just how many of us received angels as Christmas ornaments? I have them all over the house and office and I'm sure they've helped me through my treatment. I just hope the little token I'm sending with my son's mother-in-laws card helps to give her the strength she's going need for her battle against cancer.

Thank you all for responding to me plea for help with the wording. I know I can count on my sisters out there for anything. You are always there for me when I need you... and I knew you'd understand my feelings and help me out ... once again.

Love,
    teena