Areola color change after lumpectomy

rsdecember
rsdecember Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello all. I am new to this board and glad to see all of the support. I had a lumpectomy about 7 weeks ago, and will be starting radiation next week. But, crazy....the color of my areola has changed to a light tan....should I be concerned?? Please tell me no! Everything has gone fairly smoothly for me, and don't want this to worry about.

Comments

• Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Welcome
    Welcome to the board. It is a great place to get all kinds of info, answers to just about any question and tons of support. Sorry you need it but glad you found us. I had a lumpectomy in March 10. I really do not remember any color change but my incision is on the outer edge of my breast, not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not. I am sure some of the other ladies will be able to help you more.I just wanted to welcome you. I always called my Onc. nurse when I had any question, she is great! God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Bella Luna
    Bella Luna Member Posts: 1,578 Member
    Ditto for Me
    Welcome to CSN. Sorry for the reasons it brought you to this board, but you will find this network to be a treasure trove of support and information.

I had two lumpectomies in July 2009. I also had chemo and radiation and I am on Tamoxifen at the moment. My areola, just like yours, changed color. It has been over a year and it still a different shade from my left breast. I don't mind it as much though. I am so glad my surgeon was able to get clear margins and that I am done with treatment!

Best of luck on your journey.
    BL
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

Ditto for Me
    Welcome to CSN. Sorry for the reasons it brought you to this board, but you will find this network to be a treasure trove of support and information.

I had two lumpectomies in July 2009. I also had chemo and radiation and I am on Tamoxifen at the moment. My areola, just like yours, changed color. It has been over a year and it still a different shade from my left breast. I don't mind it as much though. I am so glad my surgeon was able to get clear margins and that I am done with treatment!

Best of luck on your journey.
    BL

I did not have same issue
    But just wanted to let you know good thoughs heading your way!
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I'm a mastectomy girl, so I
    I'm a mastectomy girl, so I don't have any advice...except to suggest you talk with your doctor. Changes to your skin could indicate a problem, or it could be nothing, and your doc would know best.

I do want to welcome you here. This is an amazing place, filled with wonderful supportive, caring people. I hope you are comfortable here, and continue to let us know how you are doing.

Hugs,

Linda
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

Welcome
    Welcome to the board. It is a great place to get all kinds of info, answers to just about any question and tons of support. Sorry you need it but glad you found us. I had a lumpectomy in March 10. I really do not remember any color change but my incision is on the outer edge of my breast, not sure if that would have anything to do with it or not. I am sure some of the other ladies will be able to help you more.I just wanted to welcome you. I always called my Onc. nurse when I had any question, she is great! God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Mine didn't change colors.
    Mine didn't change colors. You probably should call your oncologist and plastic surgeon and let them know about this.

Good luck,

Jan