Went for 1st radiation today

cahjah75
cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
It took quite a while and my poor arm (the only one I can raise) was hurting. My hand went numb and the female tech had to slowly help my arm back to my body (I have a reverse total shoulder prosthesis in my arm). It was quite sore for about an hour but it's ok now. The techs took pictures which they showed to rad/onc, then measurements, then xrays and then 3 radiation beams! Tomorrow should be a piece of cake but my bare chest (I had bilateral mastectomy) knows something happened to it today! The skin is very taut! I'll be sure to put cream on tonight. I was told today I'll have 28 treatments so I finish on Valentine's Day unless we have a snow storm that would cause a delay. This too shall pass!
Char

Comments

• Ladymom
    Ladymom Member Posts: 10
    I hope your treatments go well
    Char,
    I hope that you do well. I will be starting radiation within the next two weeks. They did a CT scan yesterday so they could come up with a treatment plan. I also got two teeny tattoos. A friend of mine who had radiation and the radiation ARNP suggest pure aloe with no alcohol in it three times a day. Actually my friend said that it helped her to slather it on. Again, I wish you the best.
    Ladymom
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Char,
    Just wanted to let you know that I'll be thinking about you during your rads and sending positive thoughts & prayers. Hope they aren't too hard for you.

xoxo,
    Jean
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I hope rads go smoothly for
    I hope rads go smoothly for you, and there are no delays!

Hugs,

Linda
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613

Hugs,

Linda

Yes, this too shall pass!
    My "End of Chemo" anniverssary date was February 14th! Certainly doesn't fill one's mind with romantic thoughts!! LOL!

Yes, don't skip the cream.

Keeping you in prayer,

Sylvia
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    Ladymom said:

I hope your treatments go well
    Char,
    I hope that you do well. I will be starting radiation within the next two weeks. They did a CT scan yesterday so they could come up with a treatment plan. I also got two teeny tattoos. A friend of mine who had radiation and the radiation ARNP suggest pure aloe with no alcohol in it three times a day. Actually my friend said that it helped her to slather it on. Again, I wish you the best.
    Ladymom

Be sure and use a LOT of
    Be sure and use a LOT of your creams. Your skin needs it. Good luck with the rest of rads!
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    wishing you the best..
    i got through my treatments with goal..(i had planned disney trip with friend )each day I'd lay on the table & in stead of stressing I would think vacation vacation..

goal doesnt' have to be going away...just something to take your mind to nice calm place while there..

also journals helped me alot
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

wishing you the best..
    i got through my treatments with goal..(i had planned disney trip with friend )each day I'd lay on the table & in stead of stressing I would think vacation vacation..

goal doesnt' have to be going away...just something to take your mind to nice calm place while there..

also journals helped me alot

It takes longer to undress
    It takes longer to undress than to have the treatment. Good luck!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    DebbyM said:

It takes longer to undress
    It takes longer to undress than to have the treatment. Good luck!

I have 3
    tattoos. Today went smoothly but my radiation does take a few minutes - it's not in and out real quick. Thinking of vacation sounds like a good idea...... Thanks! In the dressing room there was a container of Moo - Udder cream. I used some and it was silky smooth :-)
    Char
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    cahjah75 said:

I have 3
    tattoos. Today went smoothly but my radiation does take a few minutes - it's not in and out real quick. Thinking of vacation sounds like a good idea...... Thanks! In the dressing room there was a container of Moo - Udder cream. I used some and it was silky smooth :-)
    Char

Char .. I am thinking and prayer for a uneventful
    time for you .. during this phase of your breast cancer journey .. Radiation - I did not have to go thru them .. Chemo wore you out my friends, so please take care and rest when you can ...

Gentle Cyber Hugs .. coming your way.

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam
  • kya911
    kya911 Member Posts: 157
    VickiSam said:

Char .. I am thinking and prayer for a uneventful
    time for you .. during this phase of your breast cancer journey .. Radiation - I did not have to go thru them .. Chemo wore you out my friends, so please take care and rest when you can ...

Gentle Cyber Hugs .. coming your way.

Strength and Courage,

Vicki Sam

I am so sorry you have to go
    I am so sorry you have to go through this.
    Hope it goes well for you
  • Charliebutts
    Charliebutts Member Posts: 9
    DianeBC said:

Be sure and use a LOT of
    Be sure and use a LOT of your creams. Your skin needs it. Good luck with the rest of rads!

Creams
    I will start rad. After the 21of Jan. Last chemo was the 7th I am so glad I came to this web site I have been reading and loving all of you since yesterday loved you all anyway but didn ' t have anyone to tell it to. I am 65 will be 66 in June I have learn I had or have stage 2 breast cancer they say they got it and it hadn't spreaded my chemo stared nov 5 and it all worked good no side affects just loss of hair.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    kya911 said:

I am so sorry you have to go
    I am so sorry you have to go through this.
    Hope it goes well for you

The treatments should be
    The treatments should be much faster than the set up was so hopefully you will not have such shoulder discomfort. Use those creams and be sure and bring up any issues regarding your skin or any other reactiions. I am hoping that your rads are as smooth as mine were. I was also very stiff at the end of the set up and had the tech help me lower my arm but the rest of the time I did okay. Good thoughts for good treatments.
    Stef
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    cahjah75 said:

I have 3
    Char

My rads were really quick
    My rads were really quick after the first one, until they had to measure me again for the boosters. Are you having any boosters?

And, use those creams!
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Hugs,

Linda

Hoping your rads go smoothly
    Hoping your rads go smoothly for you too! Not only keep your creams on, but, be gentle with your skin.

Hugs, Angie
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    cahjah75 said:

I have 3
    Char

Your treatments should go
    Your treatments should go faster for you. It just takes them sometimes a few times to make sure you are set up exactly. You will do fine!

Hugs, Leeza