4 More Months

Trew
Trew Member Posts: 932 Member
edited March 2014 in Prostate Cancer #1
I was in to see Dr Latini at U of MI today. My 4rd visit with her. I was hoping to hear her say she could install the AUS next week. Nope. Never happened. I got to watch the trip up to into my bladder. Talk about exciting photography!!! Wow! Still lots of healing needs to be done. I see Dr. Latini again in 4 months- on May 9. I think then if the urethra stays clear she will schedule the AUS surgery. So, 4 more months of waiting. Cath schedule has been lessened. Can you sell un-used caths at a garage sale?

I was also picked up today by a reseacher at the U of MI as a case study for the rest of my life. He was waiting for me when I showed up at the check-in window. So many unexpected benefits to all this cancer stuff.

Comments

• mrspjd
    mrspjd Member Posts: 694 Member
    Welcome back
    Trew,
    Glad to see your sense of humor still intact. Wishing you all the best (and more) for 2011.
  • Beau2
    Beau2 Member Posts: 261
    U of M AUS
    So will a U of M AUS be in Maze and Blue?

Hang in there and good luck!
  • Trew
    Beau2 said:

U of M AUS
    So will a U of M AUS be in Maze and Blue?

Hang in there and good luck!

I don't think colors are an
    I don't think colors are an option- mostly a sort of foggy clear plastic. A urologist in Kalamazoo let me handle one way way back in July, but that is as close as I have gotten to one yet.

I had three ladies- 2 U of MI doctors and an assistant all working over that little bitty (how true THAT is) opening to get into the tube that leads up to the bladder. I sort of pretend I am in the room next door doing something else while all this is going on. I did enjoy the unique and unusal TV program they all were viewing. there were a number of spots where tiny blood vessels were right next to the skin showing up a nice red. too many for Dr. Latini I guess. And she wants to be absolutely sure no more scar tissue returns before she does surgery.

I am really tired tonight. I fully expected to be turned back for another couple of months, but not four months. And I was even hoping I might be cleared for surgery next week.

Good news is I am only cathing once a day for January and most of Feb and then gradually cutting back to once a week when I see her again in May.

I have been working on a new type of art work designed from used cath tubes. But nothing really has been produced worth saving. I have tried looping them into circles- the business end fits very nicely into the exit end. But actually, I can not even begin to explain how quickly I am losing interest in cath tubes as an art medium.

Well, I am about to crawl back into my retreat and wait this winter out. I am not as active as I should be and I am adding a pound or two a month to my body. fortunately I can still find where the cath goes, but I'm worried that if the present trend in weight continues I could lose the view.

What a life. No sex. No ice cream. And pads. someday I have to put all this into a book.
  • Trew
    mrspjd said:

Welcome back
    Trew,
    Glad to see your sense of humor still intact. Wishing you all the best (and more) for 2011.

Mrspjd, thank-you. I have
    Mrspjd, thank-you. I have just been washed out on all this post-prostate cancer stuff and staying away from these discussions. And honestly, some posting here are doing so well it has added to my discouragement though I am very happy for those who are doing well.

And I have been using the chat room more. Nice group in the chat room usually.
  • mrspjd
    mrspjd Member Posts: 694 Member
    Trew said:

Mrspjd, thank-you. I have
    Mrspjd, thank-you. I have just been washed out on all this post-prostate cancer stuff and staying away from these discussions. And honestly, some posting here are doing so well it has added to my discouragement though I am very happy for those who are doing well.

And I have been using the chat room more. Nice group in the chat room usually.

Trew
    I understand your need to take a break. It seems like a good plan for now. I hope you have the support you deserve, from the chat room, family & friends, face to face support groups, etc. When you're ready, perhaps you'll return to share all that you've learned, from a new perspective, but with the same sense of humor. Hang in there.
  • Hondo
    Hondo Member Posts: 6,636 Member
    Trew said:

I don't think colors are an option- mostly a sort of foggy clear plastic. A urologist in Kalamazoo let me handle one way way back in July, but that is as close as I have gotten to one yet.

I had three ladies- 2 U of MI doctors and an assistant all working over that little bitty (how true THAT is) opening to get into the tube that leads up to the bladder. I sort of pretend I am in the room next door doing something else while all this is going on. I did enjoy the unique and unusal TV program they all were viewing. there were a number of spots where tiny blood vessels were right next to the skin showing up a nice red. too many for Dr. Latini I guess. And she wants to be absolutely sure no more scar tissue returns before she does surgery.

I am really tired tonight. I fully expected to be turned back for another couple of months, but not four months. And I was even hoping I might be cleared for surgery next week.

Good news is I am only cathing once a day for January and most of Feb and then gradually cutting back to once a week when I see her again in May.

I have been working on a new type of art work designed from used cath tubes. But nothing really has been produced worth saving. I have tried looping them into circles- the business end fits very nicely into the exit end. But actually, I can not even begin to explain how quickly I am losing interest in cath tubes as an art medium.

Well, I am about to crawl back into my retreat and wait this winter out. I am not as active as I should be and I am adding a pound or two a month to my body. fortunately I can still find where the cath goes, but I'm worried that if the present trend in weight continues I could lose the view.

What a life. No sex. No ice cream. And pads. someday I have to put all this into a book.

Hi Trew

I know about the embarrassment thing, I was doing a lower GI a few years ago and there were 7 nurses in room, one of them told me I need to take everything off and put this robe on. I waited for a while and none of them seam to be leaving so I drop everything right there, when one of them turned around I was in my birthday suite and she said oh not in here. Ops sorry I said but you did not tell me where.

Take care and get some rest you will need it.
    Hondo
  • JR1949
    JR1949 Member Posts: 230
    Trew said:

Sense of humor
    Trew,
    I am glad you sitll have your sense of humor. I know it is hard to keep a "stiff upper lip" and keep on smiling sometimes, but you have to have hope. At least you are getting closer to your goal.

I can relate to "what a life, no sex and pads". I sometimes think that sex may just have to be a very FOND memory, BUT I still hold on to the hope that some surgeon someday will come up with the miracle procedure to cure incontinence and ED after radical prostate surgery.

Let's "toast" a glass of whatever to a better year in 2011 for all of us dealing with the "Beast".

You are in my prayers.

JR
  • guards
    guards Member Posts: 72
    NEXT WEEK !!!!
    Damn Trew I must have missed something tried to catch up but couldn't find any major set backs seems you have another problem i missed somewhere . Well I was at the Doc's this AM he did a scope and said OK we're ready next week its a go for the AUS. Lord I have imagined everything in the world going wrong and not being able to get the implant ! Whata relief it was to find the stint had healed in place correctly. Course now I'll start thinking everything in the world is wrong and I'm rejecting it(the AUS). I have become such a pessimist thanks to all he events with PC. I sure hope those doctors can get you on the road to get your leak fixed! Don't have a day yet but they will call me tomorrow. Maybe by spring I can walk into a store without lookin for the restroom fist thing in case I need to change pads quickly. Like I told the Doc today no one who hasn't been through this can imagine the embarassing situations and discomfort it causes , nor the will required to continue on. All the best my friend and keep pluggung. Now I gotta go pray I'm not in that 5 percent that it don't work!
  • Trew
    guards said:

NEXT WEEK !!!!
    Damn Trew I must have missed something tried to catch up but couldn't find any major set backs seems you have another problem i missed somewhere . Well I was at the Doc's this AM he did a scope and said OK we're ready next week its a go for the AUS. Lord I have imagined everything in the world going wrong and not being able to get the implant ! Whata relief it was to find the stint had healed in place correctly. Course now I'll start thinking everything in the world is wrong and I'm rejecting it(the AUS). I have become such a pessimist thanks to all he events with PC. I sure hope those doctors can get you on the road to get your leak fixed! Don't have a day yet but they will call me tomorrow. Maybe by spring I can walk into a store without lookin for the restroom fist thing in case I need to change pads quickly. Like I told the Doc today no one who hasn't been through this can imagine the embarassing situations and discomfort it causes , nor the will required to continue on. All the best my friend and keep pluggung. Now I gotta go pray I'm not in that 5 percent that it don't work!

"nor the will reguired to carry on"
    You nailed it all with that phrase. I can't imagine much like this.

I hope all goes well for you in the upcoming surgery.

I can hardly wait for mine.