Aromatase

Jean T. Szabo
Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone used Aromatase after Chemo? Why do we need to take meds for 5 yrs? Chemo, radiation, meds for 5 yrs....usual protocol, right?

Comments

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Hi Jean, Femara, Arimidex
    Hi Jean, Femara, Arimidex and Aromasin are all aromatase inhibitors. They prevent your body from producing estrogen. They are used for post-menopausal ER+ breast cancer and 5 yrs on some sort of anti-estrogen is the protocol for estrogen positive BC. Hope this helps,
    jan
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Here is our experience with aromatase inhibitors
    I am on arimidex and my younger sister is on femara. My older sister was on aromasin for 5 yrs but is no longer on it (she is the one sister who has never had breast cancer).

My older sister said she had no side effects at all on aromasin. My younger sister had to take the femara at night and has had a few aches and pains, but nothing that has been a big deal for her.

I also have to take the arimidex in the evening or I get too tired. Have had a neck "crick" since starting arimidex off and on but I don't know if it is really the arimidex or age or something else. However, I manage it with heat (thermacare). I will stay on the arimidex unless it quits working as I am Stage 4. And the good news is that it is working for me!