A Happy Story

CypressCynthia
CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I thought that I would share a story that brought a big smile to my face. Most of you know that I have been making fleece blankets (Operation Warm Fuzzies) for chemo patients at my local hospital (given out in December).

A good friend of mine was at the infusion center right before Christmas for an iron infusion. She already had a blanket that I had given her and she had it on her during her infusion. She said the nurses were giving out the last of the blankets that they had (I had more at home but they can only store 20 blankets at a time) and in came a huge 6'6" grizzled looking older gent with cancer. The last blanket was bright pink and covered in red strawberries and the nurses assured him that, if he could wait, they would get a different one to him.

But he smiled and said the pink blanket was perfect and promptly covered himself with it. My friend said everyone cracked up and all laughed together--the old gent enjoying himself most of all.

The story brought tears to my eyes and seemed to be the perfect example of what Christmas should be about. I know I am especially partial to it because I made that blanket, but I just had to share.

Comments

• Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Great Story!!
    Thank you so much for sharing! I bet hearing this story gave you the warm fuzzies!! I love hearing stories like this and it put a smile on my face as I am sure it will all who read this. Thanks again God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Keep up the GOOD work :o)
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Wonderful and heartwarming story!
    Thanks for sharing. I am now feeling warm and fuzzy all over. You do a wonderful service in creating these gifts, I thank you, too! I'm still smiling at the sight of this gentleman in all his grandeur covered in pink and strawberries.
  • cavediver
    cavediver Member Posts: 607
    thanks
    thanks for sharing your story...and for all you do for others! I can think back and remember how something like a knitted cap or little pillow given to me during chemo made me feel....like I could feel the love that went into the making of the item and felt so much better for having received it. It is wonderful of you to do this...and you have no doubt touched many, many people in addition to the gent with the pink blanket :-) Hugs to you!
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Dear CypressCynthia,
    Thanks for sharing this story. It's funny, but at the same time a little tear jerking! Thanks for all you do!

xoxo
    Jean
  • Texasgirl10
    Texasgirl10 Member Posts: 668
    Jean 0609 said:

Dear CypressCynthia,
    Thanks for sharing this story. It's funny, but at the same time a little tear jerking! Thanks for all you do!

xoxo
    Jean

what a wonderful heart you have
    Thanks for sharing this story, it made me feel warm and fuzzy inside :) You have such a sweet,kind heart.

Hugs,
    Dawne
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member

what a wonderful heart you have
    Thanks for sharing this story, it made me feel warm and fuzzy inside :) You have such a sweet,kind heart.

Hugs,
    Dawne

C.C. how wonderful .. tears of joy I am currently
    sharing with you. Operation -- Wonderful, is how I refer to you and your gifts of love and warmth. I am sick with a head cold/chest infection .. and I have been warming myself with your gift of LOVE and thinking of me. This shows me and all the other WARRIORS, what a wonderful, kind and caring Kindered Spirit - you are :-))))). Thank you so very much ...for being you.

So often, we never know how a simple act of kindess affects someone .. You are awesome, and you will receive dividends of joy, from your generosity for years to come.

WHO DAT --nation!

Vicki Sam
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    A perfect holiday story,
    A perfect holiday story, indeed!Hallmark could not have expressed it any better~ true meaning and all! Thanks so much for sharing this with us~ and again, for making the warm-fuzzies in the first place! You are wonderful! So there!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • LVG
    LVG Member Posts: 128
    What a wonderful, heart
    What a wonderful, heart warming and funny story.
    I got the total of picture of him in that warm cozy blanket ;-).

Thank you for making the blankets & thank you for sharing this 'good' story with us today.
  • mrs gadget
    mrs gadget Member Posts: 118
    I love my fleece blankie!!
    This makes me so happy...when I started chemo over at St, Josephs, I was given a wonderful fleece blanket and I love it...now that I have finished chemo I use it on those cold nights to cuddle with my hubby and my dogs. It brings so much warmth!! You have inspired me ...I knit and crochet and am thinking of bringing a few of my blankets to the infusion center for new patients...Keep making those blankets, I know they bring much happiness to those who receive them.
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member

I love my fleece blankie!!
    This makes me so happy...when I started chemo over at St, Josephs, I was given a wonderful fleece blanket and I love it...now that I have finished chemo I use it on those cold nights to cuddle with my hubby and my dogs. It brings so much warmth!! You have inspired me ...I knit and crochet and am thinking of bringing a few of my blankets to the infusion center for new patients...Keep making those blankets, I know they bring much happiness to those who receive them.

Cynthia,
    I can just envision

Cynthia,
    I can just envision this gentleman wrapped in his pink strawberry covered warm fuzzy. I think that this is a wonderful heart warming story. What an angel you are for making these and bringing joy to so many people.

Stef
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    Great story
    What a heart-warming and moving story! It brought tears to my eyes. Thank you, Cynthia, for all you do to help other cancer patients by making these "blankies" for them!
    Linda
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    I think he felt the love and
    I think he felt the love and prayers in that blanket and just wanted to wrap himself up in it all. That's a beautiful story Cynthia but I think the true gift was what you felt as you watched him hold that blanket that you had lovingly created. You are a sweety :)
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    What a wonderful story.
    And you are a wonderful person for making those blankets. Without the blanket there would be no story. Thank you for sharing the story and the blankets.

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Cynthia
    how said men can't wear pink! lol What a wonderful story. I'm sure the blankets you made brought many a smile. Makes one feel warm & fuzzy doesn't it!
    {{hugs}} Char
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    Nice ,love it.

Nice ,love it.
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440
    mollyz said:

Nice ,love it.

Nice ,love it.

Geez I needed that
    I will be thinking of that nice gent all day I could just picture it.
    Thank You for the smile Cynthia.
    Karie