I hate esophageal cancer, it's hurting my daddy.

sashaboyer
sashaboyer Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Esophageal Cancer #1
My father was diagnosed with with esophageal cancer over 3 years ago. We thought he had beaten the monster, however it came back it a vengeance. His neck began hurting about 6 months ago, and the PET scan discovered a small hairline fracture in his neck vertebre. We were worried but relieved it was only a fracture. He began losing weight, had tremendous pain and refused to eat. Our worst fear came about (again) when my dad's cancer doctor confirmed the cancer was back, and it was everywhere. The "fracture" in his neck was actually cancer, he has tumors in his lower abdomen, a spot on his liver and possible in his head. The doctor told us that there is a possibility the chemo drug Herceptin may help combat my dad's type of cancer. We understand my father's survival rate is against all odds, however if this chemo drug can extend his life, sans the pain, we are hopeful. My mother and I are devastated, my father is the kind of daddy every little girl should have. I love my daddy. Has anyone had any experience with esophageal cancer and Herceptin?

Thank you!

Comments

• JimsBrother
    JimsBrother Member Posts: 94
    Sasha
    I'm so sorry about your dad's cancer returning. I am a caregiver so I am unable to give you any evidence about Herceptins track record. You love your daddy, and the best you can do for him is to love him and help him when he needs it.

I hope and pray the chemo drug works and gives him much more time to be with you. Fathers have a special love for their daughters, and I can tell by your words that your daddy has done a wonderful job being your dad. I am sure he must be very proud of you and he loves you very much.

Good luck Sasha,

Rob
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • Tina Blondek
    Tina Blondek Member Posts: 1,500 Member
    Welcome
    hello Sasha sweetheart! I was a daddy's little girl too. Always will be. My dad lost his battle with ec when it went to his liver in March 2010. Your love for your daddy is going to help both of you through this. I have only heard good things about herceptin. You are right in saying it will prolong his life. Watch out now for his quality of life. This will not be a cure, but worth a try. My dad no longer had a good quality of life. Listen to your gut feelings. Listen to you dad's wishes. Love eachother to the fullest every day. You have to give everything a try, you do not want to play the what if game. Best of luck, we are here for you and praying for all of you. Hugs to you mom and dad!
    Tina in Va