still so sad about Heidi....and does anyone "repeat" themselves????

lizzie17
lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was told that I repeat myself in conversations.....I have been on arimidex almost 2 and 1/2 years. They said I have never done this until this diagnosis, treatment....but, now I feel like I am afraid to talk for fear I will bore someone to tears. I guess it is getting really old to them. :(

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    ME TOO!!!
    They just took me off the arimidex, so I'll let you know if it goes away.
  • beetle25
    beetle25 Member Posts: 150 Member
    Mama G said:

ME TOO!!!
    They just took me off the arimidex, so I'll let you know if it goes away.

fI dont take arimidex but i
    fI dont take arimidex but i also repeat myself fortunately my friends just listen to what I am saying again, or they will politley tell me that I have already told them. I had not done this until I was treated for BC
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    beetle25 said:

fI dont take arimidex but i
    fI dont take arimidex but i also repeat myself fortunately my friends just listen to what I am saying again, or they will politley tell me that I have already told them. I had not done this until I was treated for BC

yes
    I laugh and say did I tell you you or just THINK to tell you.? I forget lots of things too, if I am tired or not concentrating. I attribute it to chemo, I am on tamoxifen. Or the perhaps the chemo pause (decreasein estrogen?) It is way better than it was, but I think you cant take all these drugs without some effect!!!! Besides at least I can blame chemobrain instead of admitting I dont always pay attentionLOL
  • aisling8
    aisling8 Member Posts: 1,627 Member
    carkris said:

yes
    I laugh and say did I tell you you or just THINK to tell you.? I forget lots of things too, if I am tired or not concentrating. I attribute it to chemo, I am on tamoxifen. Or the perhaps the chemo pause (decreasein estrogen?) It is way better than it was, but I think you cant take all these drugs without some effect!!!! Besides at least I can blame chemobrain instead of admitting I dont always pay attentionLOL

Yes
    And it doesn't matter if YOU repeat yourself because apparently I can no longer remember things!!

xoxo
    Victoria
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    How Rude!!! Who tells
    How Rude!!! Who tells someone, and sorry, I picture eyes rolling.." uh~ you told us that already?"

I too took the bull by the horns~ none of my family and friends was unaware that I was in cancer treatment~ So I just flat out told them that a side-effect of the meds is not quite knowing if I said something outloud or just thought it! And to (kindly) laugh and remind me that yes, they heard about my trip to Colorado, or that so and so lost her undies on the Golden Gate Bridge, or that I bought ricotta instead of sour cream. Whatever!

It eventually all better~ and I have so much bottled up useless crap in my brain that if Trivial Pursut makes a really, really big comeback, I will be a world champion!

Hugs,
    Chen♥
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Chemo brain!!! My BEST excuse!!!
    A wise person once said to me: Better to laugh with people at myself, than have them laugh at me alone....

I, like others, just start with "If I've already told you this (whatever) please stop me...lol...this darn chemo brain goes on forever!!!"

ROFLMAO!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    chenheart said:

How Rude!!! Who tells
    How Rude!!! Who tells someone, and sorry, I picture eyes rolling.." uh~ you told us that already?"

I too took the bull by the horns~ none of my family and friends was unaware that I was in cancer treatment~ So I just flat out told them that a side-effect of the meds is not quite knowing if I said something outloud or just thought it! And to (kindly) laugh and remind me that yes, they heard about my trip to Colorado, or that so and so lost her undies on the Golden Gate Bridge, or that I bought ricotta instead of sour cream. Whatever!

It eventually all better~ and I have so much bottled up useless crap in my brain that if Trivial Pursut makes a really, really big comeback, I will be a world champion!

Hugs,
    Chen♥

Thanks you guys!
    And thanks Chenheart for always putting things in perspective for us. :) I will be more careful, smile, and say did I tell you this already???.......and YES, it is funny, but Jeopardy is my game!!
    Can't remember what I had for breakfast most days, but can remember all that "stuff" from way back when!!
  • jamiegww
    jamiegww Member Posts: 384
    lizzie17 said:

Thanks you guys!
    And thanks Chenheart for always putting things in perspective for us. :) I will be more careful, smile, and say did I tell you this already???.......and YES, it is funny, but Jeopardy is my game!!
    Can't remember what I had for breakfast most days, but can remember all that "stuff" from way back when!!

Not just chemo brain........
    My husband, Thank God, has not experienced cancer but years ago he took statin drugs for high cholesterol. I noticed his short term memory was dwindling and convinced him to stop taking the statins. He now takes flaxseed, fish oil, and niacin to control his cholesterol but his short term memory has never recovered. He reminisces about his childhood but has difficulty remembering what he did one hour ago. I'm thankful chemo did not leave me with this problem because one of us needs to remember that there's toast in the toaster or that the dog is outside and needs to be let back inside before she freezes to death. I've read that the brain needs a certain amount of cholesterol to form short term memory and I wonder if chemo has the same effect as statins have on the level of cholesterol in the brain? Anyway, I hope your short term memory returns soon and in the meantime, don't let anyone treat you rudely without reminding them what you have been through and that you can't help it if you sometimes forget what you already said.
  • mwallace1325
    mwallace1325 Member Posts: 806
    I do it too
    My poor husband thought I was trying to tell him he was losing his mind, until I explained that I'm losing mine.

Happy New Year.

marge
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613

I do it too
    My poor husband thought I was trying to tell him he was losing his mind, until I explained that I'm losing mine.

Happy New Year.

marge

Add a couple
    of "lost" brain cells from menopause to the chemo brain. Yup, great excuse for repeating yourself.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    carkris said:

yes

Penny I'd like to blame
    Penny I'd like to blame chemo brain but not sure how long it lasts? I do the very same thing. Prior to telling someone something I think is cute or even important, it seems I'm always saying did I tell you this already.My memory is not what it used to be and I guess age contributes as well. :(