I wanted you all to know how much you mean to me

fauxma
fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
These are the words to a song from the musical Wicked. I really love this song because it expresses so much. I have a very dear friend who has had a heart ailment for nearly 20 years. A heart ailment so severe that the doctors said at best she would live 5 to 10 years with. She and I have always used humor to deal with adversity. Sometimes dark humor but it gets us through. When she told me her diagnosis I told her that she couldn't die because I would have to sing Wind Beneath my Wings and I didn't know the lyrics and I have the worst singing voice. She burst out laughing and said that she had no intentions of letting me do that to our friends and family. So go forward nearly ten years and I am telling her about my uterine cancer and she looks at me and says, "Does this mean I have to learn that damn song?" So now I am laughing. Well, neither of us have ever learned the words and neither of us can sing to save our souls so maybe that is why we have lived so long. But since then we have each found a new song that we can't memorize the lyrics to or sing acceptably but the words do match what we feel for each other and they also match how I feel about all of you here on this site. I would have recorded this but, gosh, you are my friends and I should spare you that little blessing. But know in my heart I really feel this way about all of you.

I've heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason
Bringing something we must learn and we are led
To those who help us most to grow if we let them
And we help them in return
Well, I don't know if I believe that's true
But I know I'm who I am today because I knew you...
Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder halfway through the wood
Who can say if I've been changed for the better?
But because I knew you I have been changed for good
It well may be that we will never meet again in this lifetime
So let me say before we part
So much of me is made of what I learned from you
You'll be with me like a handprint on my heart
And now whatever way our stories end
I know you have re-written mine by being my friend...
Like a ship blown from its mooring by a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a sky bird in a distant wood
But because I knew you I have been changed for good
And just to clear the air I ask forgiveness
For the things I've done you blame me for
But then, I guess we know there's blame to share
And none of it seems to matter anymore.
Like a comet pulled from orbit as it passes a sun
Like a stream that meets a boulder halfway through the wood
Like a ship blown from it's mooring by a wind off the sea
Like a seed dropped by a skybird in a distant wood
I do believe I have been changed for the better
And because I knew you...
I have been changed for good...

My hope for the new year is that we all have good health, good news, and good lives, but when sadness touches us and we know that it will because that is life remember that we are loved by each other, by family and by our friends. The true measure of success is not wealth, possessions or position but by how we touched others lives. You have all touched mine deeply and I am blessed.
Stef

Comments

• carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Stef I love that song. I
    Stef I love that song. I have seen wicked and I cry every time I hear it. I had a friend who died of sarcoma and it reminds me of her. When the song comes on (I have the CD) the kids say 'Oh there goes mom again" LOL. It is a beautiful song thanks for posting. And may you and your friend NEVER learn the words EVER!!!
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Stef, I am so grateful to
    Stef, I am so grateful to know you through this site and knowing you has changed me for good and better! xoxoxoxo Lynn
  • fauxma
    carkris said:

Stef I love that song. I
    Stef I love that song. I have seen wicked and I cry every time I hear it. I had a friend who died of sarcoma and it reminds me of her. When the song comes on (I have the CD) the kids say 'Oh there goes mom again" LOL. It is a beautiful song thanks for posting. And may you and your friend NEVER learn the words EVER!!!

Carkris,
    I know that one of

Carkris,
    I know that one of gals on here also mentioned this song awhile back. I think it might have been you. I have never seen the show but I have the CD and listen to it in my car all the time. I sing along badly but I never get the words right. LOL Linda and I don't plan on singing this anytime soon but we both love the words.
    It just seemed so right to let everyone know what they mean to me and what they have done for me. I think most of us can relate to these words and how knowing each other has changed us all for the better.
    Stef
  • fauxma
    lynn1950 said:

Stef, I am so grateful to
    Stef, I am so grateful to know you through this site and knowing you has changed me for good and better! xoxoxoxo Lynn

Lynn and all of the
    Lynn and all of the wonderous people on this board,
    We are all so grateful for what we have learned from each other. Not just in our cancer journey but our lives in general. I wish that I had never had to come here but in the coming I have met the most amazing people. I have friends from all over the country, heck all over the globe and I cherish each of you. We have had the joy of exchanging ornaments but even more importantly ideas, strengths, coping mechanism, love, courage and so much more. I have many friends and a great family but in addition to that I have a great bunch of friends who are always there to bring spirit to my heart and soul.
    I can't imagine my life without you all in it.
    Stef
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    fauxma said:

Lynn and all of the
    We are all so grateful for what we have learned from each other. Not just in our cancer journey but our lives in general. I wish that I had never had to come here but in the coming I have met the most amazing people. I have friends from all over the country, heck all over the globe and I cherish each of you. We have had the joy of exchanging ornaments but even more importantly ideas, strengths, coping mechanism, love, courage and so much more. I have many friends and a great family but in addition to that I have a great bunch of friends who are always there to bring spirit to my heart and soul.
    Stef

That is truly beautiful and
    That is truly beautiful and made me cry. The song is perfect for the way I feel about everyone here, and although in no way am i grateful that i have cancer, i am grateful for all of the beautiful, loving women i have met. Deb and Heidi, whos lives were cut short, will remain with me forever. I have made the most wonderful friends here, in chemo, in my support group, it is such a wonderful feeling. Stef, you are so right we have all traveled this journey and will never be the same again. Take care, I love you all
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Lovely, Stef...
    That's it - can't expand on it. Just...

Lovely.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    awww.....
    How nice. I am going to search you tube to hear it when I get off here. Thank you for the sentiments! You have definitely touched my life (as many others have).
    I love all of you!
    Pammy
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Stef, your words and the lyrics really hold my heart...
    And take my breath away!

Thank you, thank you for the lovely smile that is in my heart this moment!

Hugs, Kathi
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    I love your posts and I love
    I love your posts and I love your poem! We are truly blessed knowing you..
    hugs
    jan
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    fauxma said:

Lynn and all of the
    Stef

:-)
    Yes Stef you have friends all over the globe and one sister in pink who is in your own back yard so to speak! I treasure you, I truly do! Your posts are always heartfelt and I seem to learn much from you! Thank you for this beautiful sentiment, now I am hoping you can tell me the title of the song so I can find it online and listen to it.

I too wish you all the best in the coming year, good health and happiness!

Hugs,

RE
  • fauxma

I love your posts and I love
    I love your posts and I love your poem! We are truly blessed knowing you..
    hugs
    jan

Jan,
    It is a song from the

Jan,
    It is a song from the musical Wicked. And RE, I think the actual title is I Knew You but if you search for WICKED you should be able to find it. It is a duet song between Glinda and Elphaba (who is the wicked witch of the West) and speaks of what they have learned from each other much like we learn from each other.
    I think you all for the kind comments but I believe that I get more than I give. I have learned so many life lessons from all of you and everyone contributes to this board. It is what makes it such a special place. As someone else said also, I am not grateful for cancer but I am infinitely grateful for all of you.
    Stef
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    I saw Wicked on broadway a
    I saw Wicked on broadway a few years ago & this song also brought me to tears. GREAT show (and great book also!)
    I also feel blessed to have this site, and all of you, in my life. May 2011 be a wonderful year for us ALL.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    So beautifully expressed
    So beautifully expressed Stef. I feel likewise. I don't know what I would do without this board. It keeps me sane and has introduced me to the most amazing folks.

And I love your dark sense of humor. My family has the same dark side and we love to laugh. When I was kind of down after a recurrence in 2009, Katherine (daughter) pointed out that I have had breast cancer nearly her whole life (she is 28 and I have had breast cancer for 24 years) and she wasn't buying the fact that the cancer was going to kill me, so just get over it. That sounds harsh, but she loves me dearly and was just reassuring me and teasing me. And it did crack me up!

Happy New Year to all of you incredible, unique and caring friends!
  • fauxma

So beautifully expressed
    So beautifully expressed Stef. I feel likewise. I don't know what I would do without this board. It keeps me sane and has introduced me to the most amazing folks.

And I love your dark sense of humor. My family has the same dark side and we love to laugh. When I was kind of down after a recurrence in 2009, Katherine (daughter) pointed out that I have had breast cancer nearly her whole life (she is 28 and I have had breast cancer for 24 years) and she wasn't buying the fact that the cancer was going to kill me, so just get over it. That sounds harsh, but she loves me dearly and was just reassuring me and teasing me. And it did crack me up!

Happy New Year to all of you incredible, unique and caring friends!

Cynthia,
    I totally get what

Cynthia,
    I totally get what she said and I would have laughed too. She was saying I love you and you are going to be around for a long, long time. Humor is just another coping mechanism and many times for me it works as well as tears. I love upbeat happy humor but I appreciate the ironic dark humor as well. Glad to know I am not alone.
    Stef
  • Sunrae
    Sunrae Member Posts: 808
    fauxma said:

Cynthia,
    I totally get what

Cynthia,
    I totally get what she said and I would have laughed too. She was saying I love you and you are going to be around for a long, long time. Humor is just another coping mechanism and many times for me it works as well as tears. I love upbeat happy humor but I appreciate the ironic dark humor as well. Glad to know I am not alone.
    Stef

Stef, I really appreciate
    Stef, I really appreciate your posting of this song. While I don't think I've ever heard of it (I live a sheltered life), the sentiments are so beautiful. You have a wonderful sense of humor and a great attitude. Always love to read your posts. Thank you.
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    fauxma said:

Cynthia,
    I totally get what

Cynthia,
    Stef

Beautiful
    That song is beautiful just like all the wonderful people on this site. How great it is to have so many people that have our back and care so much.Thank you for sharing. Gods Blessings in the new year.
    (((Hugs))) Janice