What is after treatment?

pdv
pdv Member Posts: 56
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I finished all my treatments at the end of October. Before I was diagnosed with BC my husband was already retired and I retired from my job when I found out I this disease. How do I get back to my life from here? I have worked for at least 35 years of my 40 year marriage and then went straight to treatment after retirement. Now that is all over and I am currently free from cancer, I feel the need to give back or do something productive. My problem is I am now a full time RVer and will not be in one place for more than a few months at a time. I need suggestions from those of you out there that might be in my situation....any and all suggestions are welcomed.

Pat V.

Comments

• Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Hello Pat
    I am done with treatment but I do still work. I know if I had the time I would love to be able to volunteer at a treatment center or a childrens wing at at hospital. I know this is not for everyone but that is what I wish I could do. I hope to have time this summer to do something along these lines. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    full time RV'r...wow
    wow...prehaps local agency where you are parked for few months...could use some help..perhaps volunteer

your well deserved retirment sounds great...
  • full time RV'r...wow
    wow...prehaps local agency where you are parked for few months...could use some help..perhaps volunteer

your well deserved retirment sounds great...

I wonder if some sort of portable craft work...
    is feasible in an RV. Perhaps crocheting lap blankets while your husband pilots the RV to your next destination. You could become the traveling blanket fairy...dropping them off at facilities during your travels and picking up yarn as needed and when you felt so inclined. My mom started making some very neat designs inspired by granny squares. There's something comforting and soothing about a brightly colored handmade afghan, in my opinion. There is a need for crocheted caps too. Although most of the ones from my cancer center were too small for my then hairless head, I know my mom was always able to whip out a cap in an evening.

It's also an opportunity to be a bit creative, and if you don't like how it looks....pull the yarn and start over.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member

I wonder if some sort of portable craft work...
    is feasible in an RV. Perhaps crocheting lap blankets while your husband pilots the RV to your next destination. You could become the traveling blanket fairy...dropping them off at facilities during your travels and picking up yarn as needed and when you felt so inclined. My mom started making some very neat designs inspired by granny squares. There's something comforting and soothing about a brightly colored handmade afghan, in my opinion. There is a need for crocheted caps too. Although most of the ones from my cancer center were too small for my then hairless head, I know my mom was always able to whip out a cap in an evening.

It's also an opportunity to be a bit creative, and if you don't like how it looks....pull the yarn and start over.

wow great idea (if handy with yarn)
    sounds like great idea...

Are you into scrapping...? you could take pictures on your jouney and keep scarp log of all your sights etc..
  • pdv
    pdv Member Posts: 56
    I would love to crochet caps
    I would love to crochet caps but I can't crochet. I've tried and can't get the hang of it. But I really really really want to learn. I need a crochet class. Might be something I could get someone to teach me at my next stop (which is Portland TX for about 3 months). Thanks for the idea.......