Chemo is over

Jean T. Szabo
Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone else heard someone they love say "well, the Chemo is over now, you should start feeling better". Still dealing with side effects, the worst is the fatigue, the lack of ambition. Just because the actual infusions are over people seem to think you should be all right. This is very frustrating for me; how do the rest of you handle this?

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Oh ya, I just learned to
    Oh ya, I just learned to ignore them. It is frustrating, but they will never understand what you have been through nor what you are still going through.
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    HI Jean,
    Congratulations on your finishing chemo! YAY! My last chemo really kicked my butt. I was completely worn out for well over a week instead of my normal 3 or 4 days. It does get better. I've been done since August 25th and still don't have all my energy back, but it does get better. Hang in there. Hugs, Jean
  • beetle25
    beetle25 Member Posts: 150 Member
    Jean 0609 said:

HI Jean,
    Congratulations on your finishing chemo! YAY! My last chemo really kicked my butt. I was completely worn out for well over a week instead of my normal 3 or 4 days. It does get better. I've been done since August 25th and still don't have all my energy back, but it does get better. Hang in there. Hugs, Jean

Yeah!!! Chemo is finished,
    Yeah!!! Chemo is finished, congratulations. It does take awhile for the energy to come back and unless someone has been through the type of chemo treatment that you have been through unfortunetly they will not understand and they just assume that because treatment is finished you should be back to your normal self. I finished chemo treatment June 23rd and radiation treatment October 15th and still have trouble with fatigue. Following my last treatment I ended up with severe bronchitis for about 2 weeks. Take it easy and ignore all those who say you should be back to normal. Give your body time to recovery it has been through alot.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    Kat11 said:

Oh ya, I just learned to
    Oh ya, I just learned to ignore them. It is frustrating, but they will never understand what you have been through nor what you are still going through.

Big congrats Jean on
    Big congrats Jean on finishing chemo! You accomplished a huge milestone!

Sue :)
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    beetle25 said:

Yeah!!! Chemo is finished, congratulations. It does take awhile for the energy to come back and unless someone has been through the type of chemo treatment that you have been through unfortunetly they will not understand and they just assume that because treatment is finished you should be back to your normal self. I finished chemo treatment June 23rd and radiation treatment October 15th and still have trouble with fatigue. Following my last treatment I ended up with severe bronchitis for about 2 weeks. Take it easy and ignore all those who say you should be back to normal. Give your body time to recovery it has been through alot.

Glad you are done
    Glad you are done with chemo! It does take a while to get over the treatments. I really don't think most people get it unless they have been there done that. Hope you get to feeling better. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    beetle25 said:

Congrats on being a chemo
    Congrats on being a chemo grad!
  • sparkle1
    sparkle1 Member Posts: 242
    Congrats Jean on finishing
    Congrats Jean on finishing Chemo. It's a big accomplishment. I echo what others are saying it does get better but in the meantime get the rest you need. Happy New Year!
    Sparkle
  • Annette 11
    Annette 11 Member Posts: 380
    Jean
    I'm happy yours is over! I had people say the samething but I just said No, I'm not myself yet, chemo is still in me and will be there for at least 3 weeks.
    Hugs,
    Annette
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    never be the same
    I am over a year out of chemo now, and still have chronic periods of fatigue and neuropathy. I am so lucky to have the hubby I do. He covers for me when I'm down, and I am just happy to be here. Most of the time...Hugs to you..and congrats alison
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    COngrats on being done!!
    I'm

COngrats on being done!!
    I'm 2 months post chemo - today mom had her last chemo too!
    I just tell people, when they tell me that I should be feeling better, that "actually, I still feel like crap alot of the time". It's frustrating for me too. I'll have some good days where I'm full of energy & feel good, then I'll have a few days where I can barely keep my eyes open & have no energy for anything. Hang in there :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member

Jean
    I'm happy yours is over! I had people say the samething but I just said No, I'm not myself yet, chemo is still in me and will be there for at least 3 weeks.
    Hugs,
    Annette

Sending congratulations on
    Sending congratulations on being done with chemo!

Hugs, Debby
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    beetle25 said:

Congrats on being DONE with
    Congrats on being DONE with chemo!♥ Kristin ♥
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    beetle25 said:

Yippee, your chemo is
    Yippee, your chemo is finished!

Hugs, Leeza
  • PatB01
    PatB01 Member Posts: 20
    Congratulations
    You've made it thru the worst, and are on the road to recovery. My last chemo knocked me down for a week, but then I rallied. I do need to keep reminding people -- my stamina will take while to return. They understand.
    Pat
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    I don't know if anyone
    I don't know if anyone actually said it, but I'm pretty sure they thought it :) Congratulations on this part of the journey being over. It truly is a milestone!! Now, you heal. Heal emotionally, physically and spiritually. Take the time to look after yourself and be gentle with your limitations while evolving to your "new normal".
    hugs
    jan
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

I don't know if anyone
    I don't know if anyone actually said it, but I'm pretty sure they thought it :) Congratulations on this part of the journey being over. It truly is a milestone!! Now, you heal. Heal emotionally, physically and spiritually. Take the time to look after yourself and be gentle with your limitations while evolving to your "new normal".
    hugs
    jan

I asked my rads onc "How am
    I asked my rads onc "How am i going to make people understand?" He said "you arent" so I dont try. I dont even know how to describe it. But I like Heather's response!
  • survivorbc09
    survivorbc09 Member Posts: 4,374 Member

COngrats on being done!!
    I'm

COngrats on being done!!
    I'm 2 months post chemo - today mom had her last chemo too!
    I just tell people, when they tell me that I should be feeling better, that "actually, I still feel like crap alot of the time". It's frustrating for me too. I'll have some good days where I'm full of energy & feel good, then I'll have a few days where I can barely keep my eyes open & have no energy for anything. Hang in there :)
    *hugs*
    Heather

You reached the end of the
    You reached the end of the tunnel! Chemo is now behind you. Rest and recuperate now, and, I am sure you will start feeling better.

Hugs, Jan
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Jean
    my sister and I were talking about this very thing yesterday. She is 8 years out and said we all have to find a new normal and that our bodies take a long time to get there. Why people assume that just because chemo is done that we should bounce back is beyond me. They don't realize what our bodies have gone through. I still have rads starting next week......
    Fatigue will be here for awhile!
    {{hugs}} Char