How long after treatment will the oncologist be seeing me?

sparky51
sparky51 Member Posts: 37
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm curious about how long after treatment finishes does the oncologist me. My oncologist saw me 5 months after treatment and will see me once more in April and then will close the file on me. Is this common??

Comments

• Betsy13
    Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
    aftercare
    Hi,

My Rad. Onc. is seeing me every 3 months for the first year, then every six months for the next 4. I am having a mammogram and MRI alternating every 6 months for the next 5 years.

I'm sure each diagnoses is treated differently. I had DCIS, Stage 0, lumpectomy and radiation. You might want to get a second opinion. I did when they wanted me to take Tamoxifen and it really helped.

Hope this helps,
    Betsy
  • sparky51
    Betsy13 said:

aftercare
    Hi,

My Rad. Onc. is seeing me every 3 months for the first year, then every six months for the next 4. I am having a mammogram and MRI alternating every 6 months for the next 5 years.

I'm sure each diagnoses is treated differently. I had DCIS, Stage 0, lumpectomy and radiation. You might want to get a second opinion. I did when they wanted me to take Tamoxifen and it really helped.

Hope this helps,
    Betsy

I had triple negative breast
    I had triple negative breast cancer stage 3 with lymph node involvement (10 out of 15 nodes were involved). I had a mastectomy with axillary node dissection. I discovered a lump near the mastectomy site so my family dr did a chest x-ray and has found lung nodules on the right lung so I'm going for a CT scan tomorrow.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    sparky51 said:

I had triple negative breast
    I had triple negative breast cancer stage 3 with lymph node involvement (10 out of 15 nodes were involved). I had a mastectomy with axillary node dissection. I discovered a lump near the mastectomy site so my family dr did a chest x-ray and has found lung nodules on the right lung so I'm going for a CT scan tomorrow.

My first BC was in 1994 have
    My first BC was in 1994 have seen the onc ever since. now rads onc once a year. prob same with surgeopn unless something else comes up. It depends on your treatment.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    We're all different.
    I saw my Chemo Dr at a month post chemo and then in another 6 months. Will be seeing him again in 6 months. I was told that I will be seeing him at least every year and possibly every 6 months forever. Saw Rads Dr. at 6 months post rads and he donesn't think he needs to see me anymore unless either my Chemo Dr or my PA thinks he needs to so won't be seeing him again ever I hope. I have another appt with surgeon at 18 months post surgery, will find out then rather or not he wants to see me again. My PA is fantastic - I've had her for close to 15 years and I can definately get ahold of her any time I need. Yesterday I had my port flushed and had a question about some little 'bumps' in my hand so showed her RN them and asked if I needed to make an appt to see Jan about it - a few minutes later she was in to check it - nothing to worry about.

Remember that different cancer are different so are each of us - so what is 'right' for me is not 'right' for someone else.

Susan
  • Boppy_of_6
    Boppy_of_6 Member Posts: 1,138
    Rague said:

We're all different.
    I saw my Chemo Dr at a month post chemo and then in another 6 months. Will be seeing him again in 6 months. I was told that I will be seeing him at least every year and possibly every 6 months forever. Saw Rads Dr. at 6 months post rads and he donesn't think he needs to see me anymore unless either my Chemo Dr or my PA thinks he needs to so won't be seeing him again ever I hope. I have another appt with surgeon at 18 months post surgery, will find out then rather or not he wants to see me again. My PA is fantastic - I've had her for close to 15 years and I can definately get ahold of her any time I need. Yesterday I had my port flushed and had a question about some little 'bumps' in my hand so showed her RN them and asked if I needed to make an appt to see Jan about it - a few minutes later she was in to check it - nothing to worry about.

Remember that different cancer are different so are each of us - so what is 'right' for me is not 'right' for someone else.

Susan

I have seen my Onc. 2 times
    I have seen my Onc. 2 times since finishing chemo in July. I will be seeing him every 3 months for now, not sure after the first yr. He did tell me I would be seeing him for 5 yrs and that we would become good friends! I am on Tamoxifen so I am not sure if that is part of the reason. Everyones follow up is different. I think for now it makes me feel better seeing him more often. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Betsy13 said:

aftercare
    Hi,

Hope this helps,
    Betsy

I see my oncologist and rads
    I see my oncologist and rads oncologist every 3 months. I have a mammo and an ultrasound every 6 months now.

But, we are all different and our doctor's have different ways.

Good luck!

Lex
  • webbwife50
    webbwife50 Member Posts: 394
    doesn't sound right to me
    I see my onc. every 6 months. The cancer center where I was treated, told me they will follow up yearly, at least, for life. Hugs to you...Alison
  • Katz77
    Katz77 Member Posts: 598
    Mmmm
    Interesting, everyone is different. Im stage 3c with bilat masts and 18/20 positive nodes. Had the rads and the chemo cocktails. Seen my onc every 3 months. He said every 3 months at least for the first yr. after treatment stopped. Maybe 2 yrs. Rad doc said I wouldnt see him anymore unless further treatment was needed. Hope I dont see him again. lol
  • sbmly53
    sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
    I've got a standing date with my surgeon
    Every 6 months for the next 4 years (for a total of 5 years), and then annually. At least, that's the plan. My onc's every 3 months til we go to 6 months - another 4.5 years til I complete Arimidex, then annually. Mammo every 6 months - forever, if I have any say in it.

Sue
  • sparky51

doesn't sound right to me
    I see my onc. every 6 months. The cancer center where I was treated, told me they will follow up yearly, at least, for life. Hugs to you...Alison

I was treated in a cancer
    I was treated in a cancer hospital here in Toronto and I feel something is wrong here. I've had cancer before and was seen by that dr until I went in for bc treatment. I saw the surgeon still sees me and the other oncologist closed the file on me once I went into treatment for bc. 2 different hospitals with the cancer hospital being much closer to me than the other hospital. I had just gone back to work full time and fell ill again in mid October....and have been off work since. Started with severe headaches and nausea, weight loss absolute loss of appetite (my appetite is very poor now due to the previous esophageal cancer) I can ill afford to lose weight. So the dr ordered an MRI of my head and while I was waiting for that the ER did a CT scan to get an idea of what was going on.....I also had a CT done of my abdomen to rule out cancer. All those tests were negative and my mammo was good to. Then the lump showed up....as well as the lung nodules.
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    sbmly53 said:

I've got a standing date with my surgeon
    Every 6 months for the next 4 years (for a total of 5 years), and then annually. At least, that's the plan. My onc's every 3 months til we go to 6 months - another 4.5 years til I complete Arimidex, then annually. Mammo every 6 months - forever, if I have any say in it.

Sue

medical oncologist every 3 months
    After I finished invasive treatment I have been seen by medical oncologist initially every month, then every 3 months, breast surgeon- every 6 months, and radiation oncologist every 6 months, who after 2 years has changed his schedule to every 12 months.
    When my husband ask my medical oncologist the answer was for me for the first 3 years every 3 months, then every 6 months.
    If you feel uncomfortable or would like to be examined or talk to your doctor you can make an appointment at any duration and see your oncologist more often
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613

medical oncologist every 3 months
    After I finished invasive treatment I have been seen by medical oncologist initially every month, then every 3 months, breast surgeon- every 6 months, and radiation oncologist every 6 months, who after 2 years has changed his schedule to every 12 months.
    When my husband ask my medical oncologist the answer was for me for the first 3 years every 3 months, then every 6 months.
    If you feel uncomfortable or would like to be examined or talk to your doctor you can make an appointment at any duration and see your oncologist more often

After my treatment,
    it was every 3 months for the first 2 years, then every 6 months until I reach 5 years (this Feb) then yearly after that.

Of course, if I feel anything, I see her right away.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    5 yrs straight
    I go every 3mths (to two diff oncolo) and thought I was good for one year..(not sure where I got that Idea in my head) but anyhow at my last appt...I was told I can no go 4mths in between appts...yipppeee...

I must do this for 5 yrs is my understanding..may spread visits out after another year...I am hoping
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member

I have seen my Onc. 2 times
    I have seen my Onc. 2 times since finishing chemo in July. I will be seeing him every 3 months for now, not sure after the first yr. He did tell me I would be seeing him for 5 yrs and that we would become good friends! I am on Tamoxifen so I am not sure if that is part of the reason. Everyones follow up is different. I think for now it makes me feel better seeing him more often. God Bless
    (((Hugs))) Janice

Seeing my rads oncologist
    Seeing my rads oncologist and oncologist still every 3 months. I admit I like it this soon, as, I feel that I am still being well cared for, which I am. I love my doctors! ♥ Kristin ♥
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    as far as I know 5 yrs...after treatment is done
    I thougth once finished radiation..i was a free agent...WRONG>>>>i got a call...it's time for you to come back! I was like huh?

so I see cancer ctr treatment dr every 3 mths, also oncologist now went from 3 mths to 4mths...I said to her I thought I could go a whole year to come back...she just smiled and said I'll see you in 4mths!