reconstruction

Betsy13
Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi,

It's been almost a year since my surgery and I have a hole in my breast. It's above my nipple about an inch and it's about 2 inches circular shaped above that. It's not super noticeable, but I notice it and I hate it. I am starting to think about reconstruction and am wondering how to think about this. I am wondering do I get a lift, do I go larger (I'm small busted)...I know I'm going to go in and talk to plastic surgeons, but would like your input first. What questions do ask, things like that.

Thank you,
Betsy

Comments

• Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Hi Betsy,
    I had a double

Hi Betsy,
    I had a double mastectomy, so my experience with a plastic surgeon was a little different than what you would have. I think the best thing you could do is set up a consultation with a plastic surgeon -if you don't have any references for one you could try asking your breast surgeon's office, I'm sure they could recommend one to you. During your consultation you can tell them what procedures you've had, the PS will examine you, and should be able to give you a few different options as to how they can fix it.
    They may be able to do some scar revision on your breast, maybe along with a small implant. I hope you find a great plastic surgeon - my PS appointments were the only ones that I actually came out of smiling, throughout my whole bc ordeal, he is great! Best of luck to you!
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Questions to ask a Reconstructive surgeon
    I had a right mastectomy and had a tissue expander put in by the plastic/reconstructive surgeon at the time of the mastectomy.I have plenty of extra skin so no saline injections will be required before the exchange surgery. Here are some questions you might want to ask the reconstructive surgeon. Not all will necessarily apply to you, but it is a place to start. Hope these ideas help. Good luck.

* Are you board-certified?

* Do you specialize in breast reconstructive surgery?

* About how many of these procedures have you performed? How many do you perform each year? Where do you usually perform these procedures?

* Am I a good candidate for breast reconstruction? Why or why not?

* What is the cost of breast reconstruction surgery? Is the procedure covered by my insurance? Are you a preferred provider by my ins. carrier?

* What type of breast reconstruction do you recommend?

* What are the benefits and limitations associated with this procedure?

* What are tissue expanders? Will they be used? Why or why not?

* Do you recommend saline or silicone implants? Why do you recommend this type?

* What size implants do you recommend?

* Will tissue from another part of my body be used in my breast reconstruction?

* Will nipple reconstruction be performed?

* How should I prepare for breast reconstructive surgery?
    How long will the procedure take?

* What type of anesthesia will be used during reconstructive surgery?

* Might I require a blood transfusion during the procedure?

* What types of complications can occur during breast reconstructive surgery?

* Will I be admitted to the hospital after surgery? If so, how long will I be in the hospital?

* What can I expect immediately following the procedure? How will my pain be managed?

* Will I need to have a surgical drain? How do I care for this drain and when will it be removed?

* How will my breasts look and feel after reconstructive surgery?

* What type of results can I expect? What will my scar look like?

* When can I resume normal daily activities following reconstructive surgery?

* Might I require more than 1 surgical procedure?

* If getting implants, what changes can I expect in the implants over time?
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    scare
    when I got to dr or for mammo...they are surpised I have very little scaring..but I am totally mis-shaped on that side. I too was / am small breasted..but since taking Tamoxifen...(was on steriods for another medical issue) I gained 25 lbs...I did gain some in breasts...thinking just weight..I lost 10 lbs and still haven't lost any there...so thought maybe side effect of Tamoxifen....My adult girls told me after surgery etc..I should get enlargment if I decided to FIX the one side.

If it really bothers you (hole) I would go for it...even get second opinion-asks friends who have used plastic surgeon for recommendations-How about cancer ctr...did you ask for suggestions or referrals? Maybe start there!
  • Betsy13
    Ladies
    Thank you so much for the information. I really didn't know where to start, but I have great ideas now! I'm going to my onc. next week and will be prepared with a list!

Thank you again,
    Betsy
  • betsymorgan
    betsymorgan Member Posts: 25
    I answered on the other post
    Hi, Betsy--
    I answered on the other post for reconstruction. I'll repeat my offer here for anyone who hasn't read that other one...I had a reconstruction with a tram-flap (where you use your own tissue from your abdomen and get a tummy tuck in the process). I took pictures in case I ran into other women who wanted to see what before and after looked like.

Ask your doctor (who *will* have a plastic surgeon he/she likes) if he/she has pictures, or the PS to show you pictures not just of before and after but of the drains in situ, 2-week after, 4-week after, etc. I asked my PS just yesterday (when I was getting my nipple!) if he had pictures and he said he only pulls them out when patients ask. It didn't occur to me to ask about drain pictures!

I also should have asked about numbness resulting from the surgery. Your new breast will have no feeling. None. And it will not have a nipple for awhile. I wasn't ready for that...

Betsy
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member

Hi, Betsy--
    I answered on the other post for reconstruction. I'll repeat my offer here for anyone who hasn't read that other one...I had a reconstruction with a tram-flap (where you use your own tissue from your abdomen and get a tummy tuck in the process). I took pictures in case I ran into other women who wanted to see what before and after looked like.

Ask your doctor (who *will* have a plastic surgeon he/she likes) if he/she has pictures, or the PS to show you pictures not just of before and after but of the drains in situ, 2-week after, 4-week after, etc. I asked my PS just yesterday (when I was getting my nipple!) if he had pictures and he said he only pulls them out when patients ask. It didn't occur to me to ask about drain pictures!

I also should have asked about numbness resulting from the surgery. Your new breast will have no feeling. None. And it will not have a nipple for awhile. I wasn't ready for that...

Betsy

did you have a large scar
    did you have a large scar left on your abdomen after your reconstruction? the plastic surgeon told me it is not a regular tummy tuck, that there would be a large horizontal scar going across the belly.
    ive since opted no reconstruction right away, but i was just wondering.
  • Betsy13

Hi, Betsy--

Betsy

Hi Betsy ~
    I like your name :) I have lost a lot of weight and don't think there's enough for a tram flap. I wonder if they could take fatty tissue from my hips and upper thighs?

Anyone ever heard of this? Thank you for the idea about the pictures. I never thought to ask the ps about that!

I would prefer no feeling to an ache all the time in my breast, that would be ok. Right now, I can't go out in the cold for long or my whole breast will ache.

Thanks again,
    Betsy
  • betsymorgan
    betsymorgan Member Posts: 25
    scar and stuff
    I *do* have a scar, from one hip bone to the other. But I have the nice flat belly of an 18-year-old! Not kidding! I was told at the time that I had enough fat from having kids for one B cup, but not two...(I'm small-breasted, and thought I might as well go up a size!). So the option was to have either 2 implants or one tram-flap with the A to look like the remaining breast.

From what my ps told me and from my research, I understand there are only 2 places you can get tissue transplants from: your belly or your back (I don't remember now if it's called a tram-flap or not...). It might be possible to get it from your butt, but the possibility of the tissue dying (since it doesn't have it's own blood supply) is higher and not recommended (I think). The one from the back takes some of the muscle and fat from the area where (if you have extra fat) it sort of puffs out around your bra back and shoulder strap. That is "disconnected" from a place in your back and swung around under your arm to the breast area. It remains attached under your arm. That way it has its own blood supply.

You may not need an entire reconstruction. I've re-read your post, and the ps may have other options for you. The nice thing is, you've got time to think about all your options. One thing I really like about my ps: he has made me look at whatever he'd done right away. It might not seem like a big deal, but I did NOT want to see my new breast (I was afraid); I did NOT want to see that there was no nipple; I did NOT want to see the drain...and when I did look, I realized that it looked pretty good and wasn't nearly as scary as what I had imagined.

Your oncologist would have good recommendations for ps's in your area, if you need a place to start. Good luck!

betsy