If you have a prosthesis....

Gabe N Abby Mom
Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have a while before I have to shop for one, but I would love to hear your recommendations and advice about prosthesis...

Thanks,

Linda

Comments

• Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    Mine is from American Breast
    Mine is from American Breast Care (www.americanbreatcare.com). It's a 'Classic Triangle Lightweight'; style 1072. Probably different skin tone and possible different size. I have no complaints considering it's the first one I've had but there is a very similar one that when I get my new one. I'm quite 'narrow' and they have basically the same one that is a bit 'narrower' so think I'll at least look at it. I'm rather active so do a lot and have never had any broblems with feeling good/normal with my pros.

Susan
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    Rague said:

Mine is from American Breast
    Mine is from American Breast Care (www.americanbreatcare.com). It's a 'Classic Triangle Lightweight'; style 1072. Probably different skin tone and possible different size. I have no complaints considering it's the first one I've had but there is a very similar one that when I get my new one. I'm quite 'narrow' and they have basically the same one that is a bit 'narrower' so think I'll at least look at it. I'm rather active so do a lot and have never had any broblems with feeling good/normal with my pros.

Susan

I go to a medical place that
    I go to a medical place that provides them and fits me. I think I might go up a size next time though Heh now I can choose right?
  • Rague
    carkris said:

I go to a medical place that
    I go to a medical place that provides them and fits me. I think I might go up a size next time though Heh now I can choose right?

Didn't mean to infer that
    Didn't mean to infer that I'd ordered from a catalog or web site. Just posted the addy so that could look at 'possibles'. I got mine from a local medical supply place that has the only local certified fitter. They did order the size in for me as they were out.
  • Rague said:

Didn't mean to infer that
    Didn't mean to infer that I'd ordered from a catalog or web site. Just posted the addy so that could look at 'possibles'. I got mine from a local medical supply place that has the only local certified fitter. They did order the size in for me as they were out.

I waited...
    I used a soft form for a long while and waited until I was completely through treatment before shopping.

My recommendation is to get a referral from your cancer center or local ACS for a salon to fit you. I took my 15 year old daughter as I knew she would be honest about the appearance, symmetry, balance, etc. We took our time trying on various forms with different brassieres and the woman that owns the shop that I used was patient and very supportive. She even offered us coffee, tea, and cookies. We used a couple of different fabrics draped across my bosom and both my daughter and the proprietor looked carefully. The satin was the most telling. I would recommend bringing a favorite sweater or blouse too. My form does not exactly droop as my breast does, but overall I am highly satisfied with the result.

Oh, and don't forget to check to see what your insurance will cover too.
  • Rague

I waited...
    I used a soft form for a long while and waited until I was completely through treatment before shopping.

My recommendation is to get a referral from your cancer center or local ACS for a salon to fit you. I took my 15 year old daughter as I knew she would be honest about the appearance, symmetry, balance, etc. We took our time trying on various forms with different brassieres and the woman that owns the shop that I used was patient and very supportive. She even offered us coffee, tea, and cookies. We used a couple of different fabrics draped across my bosom and both my daughter and the proprietor looked carefully. The satin was the most telling. I would recommend bringing a favorite sweater or blouse too. My form does not exactly droop as my breast does, but overall I am highly satisfied with the result.

Oh, and don't forget to check to see what your insurance will cover too.

Good Point!
    Don't be in too much of a hurry to get your 'good' pros. Swelling needs to go down. Muy masr was Oct 21, '09. I was sent home from the hospital strapped down like a little girl. That week the local ACS sent me a 'care package' that included a 'fluff' that I used in my old bras until I got my pros and bras in late Jan, '10.

Good point - be sure what is covered before you go - when VA tells me to go somewhere and get what I need it's already been approved and a purchase order is there to cover it.

Susan
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    I picked mine up at a
    I picked mine up at a medical supply shop. They are very experienced and it didn't take long at all to pick the right one. It's silicone and I've had it for about 4yrs now without any problems.
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Thank you all for the input.
    Thank you all for the input. It will definitely help when I do go shopping.

Hugs,

Linda
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747
    got mine today
    I've been using the camisole with the foam insert since my mastectomy in July - it's just so comfortable. But today I got some real bras and the prosthesis at the Women's Center with a certified mastectomy fitter. It took a while to get the right size bras and the right size prosthesis, as I am an odd size, and it took about 3 different trips to the center b/c the fitter had to order bras in different sizes than what she had in the shop. I had no idea that there are different shapes of prostheses depending on how much surrounding tissue you have had removed from your armpit area.
    Linda
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    linpsu said:

got mine today
    I've been using the camisole with the foam insert since my mastectomy in July - it's just so comfortable. But today I got some real bras and the prosthesis at the Women's Center with a certified mastectomy fitter. It took a while to get the right size bras and the right size prosthesis, as I am an odd size, and it took about 3 different trips to the center b/c the fitter had to order bras in different sizes than what she had in the shop. I had no idea that there are different shapes of prostheses depending on how much surrounding tissue you have had removed from your armpit area.
    Linda

I just recently purchased my
    I just recently purchased my first foam fitting form and bra it worked out so nice i look like me again. I can wear a almost tight fitting sweater again I can't wear them to tight cause the steriods has caused a little role in the mid-section(hehe). I got it at a medical shop also with a nice lady helping me and fitting me for the bra. Good luck . love an hugs. MollyZ
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Linda
    I bought my leisure forms & bras and my prosthesis & bras at a wonderful shop called "Essentials for the Special Woman". It is owned by a former nurse who had bc and mastectomy and knew the need for a shop to help women just like us. I had an appt and spent a couple of hours trying on dozens of bra styles and getting just the right fit for both prosthesis. (I had bilateral mastectomy.) Mine are a soft silicone and actually have skin color and a small bump (nipple area). They are not lightweight but are perkier than my old ones. My insurance allowed me a number of bras and I can get new prosthesis as needed each year. I store them in their boxes at home and wear the "new girls" proudly when I go out.
    Char
  • Findingout
    Findingout Member Posts: 132
    linpsu said:

got mine today
    Linda

Hi Linda, I read your post
    Hi Linda, I read your post and am wondering if you had a bilateral or unilateral mastectomy. I imagine there are camisoles for unilateral? Surgery's approaching & I'm starting to realize I'm a little fearful after all, so this info. is helpful. Thanks.
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    linpsu said:

got mine today
    Linda

i have had mine 3 years it
    i have had mine 3 years it just like new. i still use my camisole soke times whem i have a little to low cut shirt on it work great for that. good luck
  • linpsu
    linpsu Member Posts: 747

Hi Linda, I read your post
    Hi Linda, I read your post and am wondering if you had a bilateral or unilateral mastectomy. I imagine there are camisoles for unilateral? Surgery's approaching & I'm starting to realize I'm a little fearful after all, so this info. is helpful. Thanks.

Findingout
    I had a unilateral mastectomy. The camisole (as well as the bras) all have the pockets for both sides, so you just put the prosthesis in the one side and your remaining breast as usual in the other side. It is a little difficult sometimes to get a prosthesis to look exactly like your remaining breast, depending on the bra. But a good, professional fitter is the key to getting a good match. Linda
  • mom62
    mom62 Member Posts: 604 Member
    Lady Grace
    Hi,

I don't know if you have a Lady Grace store but they do a personal sizing for you and order the bras. Just make sure to bring a perscription with you and keep a copy of all receipts as some insurance companies make you file a claim for reimbursement. That reminds me, I need a new one myself..
  • racergirl
    racergirl Member Posts: 50
    I just got mine after my rt
    I just got mine after my rt mast in november. It feels great to be balanced again. I agree that I professional fitter is best, but you need to go where your insurance covers it.

I got three bras and a prosthesis = $400.00, thank God for insurance.