San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium news

New Flower
New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I know everybody has been getting into holiday spirit.
Today I saw my oncologist, got my treatment (Zoladex) and we discussed some interesting presentations from San Antonio Breast Cancer Symposium 2010which I would like to share. Of course everything we talked about was related to my diagnosis (Stage III C, positive nodes,Er+ 90%, poor Tamoxifen metabolizer) prevention and going forward and new research.

Prophylactic use of Zometa (ASURE studies), which suppose to prevent distant recurrence. According to my oncologist recent results showed that there are no benefits for my diagnosis for prophylactic use of bisphosphonates (Zometa, or Boniva).

Tamoxifen metabolism - more data have been developed more contraction was reported. Patients younger 40 should be not tested for this gene as well as intermediate metabolizers both groups will benefit from Tamoxifen.

Zoladex equally efficacious to Tamoxifen.

As Sandy remained us recently, please talk to your oncologist about your specific situation and what is relevant to you.
Some presentations from this symposium www.sabcs.org

Since I got my shot I will be probably be down for several days.
Happy Holidays to you. Wishing everyone the best ever new 2011.
Hugs,
New Flower

Comments

• sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    Thank you for the info!
    Yes, I know the conference was being held here. My 5 year appointment is coming up and I'm not sure what my Oncologist is going to want to do. I'm not crazy about the side effects of tamoxifen so I will most definitely ask her about this Symposium as I'm sure she was there.

Rest up Sister and I wish you a Happy Holiday as well!

Sylvia
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Thank you for sharing. Rest
    Thank you for sharing. Rest and take care.

Merry Christmas,

Linda
  • New Flower

Thank you for sharing. Rest
    Thank you for sharing. Rest and take care.

Merry Christmas,

Linda

Sylvia and Linda
    Sylvia and Linda,
    Thank you very much for your good wishes.
    I am better today, however still....
    New Flower
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Sylvia and Linda
    Sylvia and Linda,
    Thank you very much for your good wishes.
    I am better today, however still....
    New Flower

My onc and I have emailed
    My onc and I have emailed about the zometa news I was very dissapointed. I get very excited and happy when a new treatment is found to help this disease, and then sad when it doesnt seem to work, ie aromasin, or zometa (for prevention).
  • New Flower
    carkris said:

My onc and I have emailed
    My onc and I have emailed about the zometa news I was very dissapointed. I get very excited and happy when a new treatment is found to help this disease, and then sad when it doesnt seem to work, ie aromasin, or zometa (for prevention).

Sorry Penny
    Sorry Penny, I know you are on Zometa. as far as Aromatisin, it is my understanding that new data have showed that its efficacy is equal to Femara  and Arimidex., in other words all aromatase inhibitors have similar efficacy. 
    I also hope for new treatments to be discovered and I am sure they will be found.
  • carkris

Sorry Penny
    Sorry Penny, I know you are on Zometa. as far as Aromatisin, it is my understanding that new data have showed that its efficacy is equal to Femara  and Arimidex., in other words all aromatase inhibitors have similar efficacy. 
    I also hope for new treatments to be discovered and I am sure they will be found.

I miss wrote I meant
    I miss wrote I meant avastin. I am excrutiatingly dissapointed that we dont have more on a handle on this. but then i feel encouraged that we do have some new therapies on the horizon like PARP inhibitors. I have to talk to my doc about the zometa, why did previous studies have promising news then not recent ones. He said he wants to be able to discuss this with me next visit.
  • carkris

Sorry Penny

• New Flower
    carkris said:

I miss wrote I meant
    I miss wrote I meant avastin. I am excrutiatingly dissapointed that we dont have more on a handle on this. but then i feel encouraged that we do have some new therapies on the horizon like PARP inhibitors. I have to talk to my doc about the zometa, why did previous studies have promising news then not recent ones. He said he wants to be able to discuss this with me next visit.

Link to presentations

Please do not be disappointed, sometime it could happen. Bigger statistical sample showed no significant difference, however you can still continue with treatment. If you have a chance please look at http://www.aacr.org/home/public--media/multimedia-/aacr-podcasts/ctrc-aacr-2010-sabcs-teleconferences-and-podcasts/results-of-the-azure-trial-teleconference.aspx

I agree about Avastin, it has been nice to know that there is an option.