I really thought I would never have to shave my underarm again,

sbmly53
sbmly53 Member Posts: 1,522
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
It's just over a year and now there is a little fuzz. Rats! It was a direct hit of radiation, still a little 'tan'. I was so bummed since I was told not to shave and now I have to. No lymphedema and I don't want to encourage any.

Did you have regrowth after rads?

Sue

Comments

• Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    Cancer takes so much away
    Cancer takes so much away from us...why can't it take the things we want?

I haven't done the rads yet. So I don't have any advice or stories to share.

Hugs,

Linda
  • MyTurnNow
    MyTurnNow Member Posts: 2,686 Member
    Unfortunately, yes.
    I completed rads last Christmas Eve. I do have hair growth on the radiated side, too. The problem is I also had 2 levels of lymph nodes removed so the area is numb. I actually have to shave my underarm while in front of a mirror so I don't cut myself.

Cancer, the gift that keeps on giving!!
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Unfortunately, yes.
    I completed rads last Christmas Eve. I do have hair growth on the radiated side, too. The problem is I also had 2 levels of lymph nodes removed so the area is numb. I actually have to shave my underarm while in front of a mirror so I don't cut myself.

Yes I have to shave that
    Yes I have to shave that side now too. I was hoping, like you, that I never had to again. Mine is numb too and I have a sunken in hole right in the middle, so shaving is a challenge.
    Wanted hair back in some places, but not others!
  • Wolfi
    Wolfi Member Posts: 425
    Shaving
    Yes, I did have some regrowth after rads (but not the whole underarm area as before).

PLEASE make sure you use an electric razor to shave under that arm and not a regular razor. I am just starting to get back some feeling (after a year) and avoiding worse lymphedema than I've already dealt with is one of my goals. Be very careful to not cut, burn, or bruise your arm if you've had lymph nodes removed - this can cause the swelling.

Wolfi
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    boy do i remember that day
    I could finally shave both sides....hehe...i think each time I do it now..I think back to just doing ONE for a long long time
  • disneyfan2008
    I could finally shave both sides....hehe...i think each time I do it now..I think back to just doing ONE for a long long time
  • disneyfan2008
  • boy do i remember that day

Egads...
    Yep, my armpit was a direct hit too. I thought all was fine and dandy, but was embarrassed when my daughter told me (she accompanied me to my prosthesis fitting) that I had hair there. There was no flipping way! I too fear lymphedema and only shave when I have to take my blouse off for an exam now. I'm not thrilled either that I am now limited to using Tom's of Maine deodorant, but heck...it's my excuse to not work up a sweat.
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member
    MyTurnNow said:

Unfortunately, yes.

I don't have any hair yet!
    I don't have any hair yet! I always thought that was at least something good out of rads!

Sue :)
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Surgery was done December
    Surgery was done December 2003 and rads in 2004 but the site is just now feeling not numb. No hair yet but they removed a lot. 15 lymph nodes. I think he removed all the hair follicles. And the sweat glands.
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    I agree...with everything
    I agree...with everything the treatments take you would hope that it would at least give us a little break and take away the hair growth... but nope... no such luck for me... and from the node removal a year and a half later, I'm still numb so shaving is something I do very carefully... top it off, I'm blind in my left eye so I can't see when I shave on my radiated side...lol... gotta laugh... what's a girl to do!

Hugs,
    ~T
  • missrenee
    missrenee Member Posts: 2,136 Member
    taleena said:

I agree...with everything
    I agree...with everything the treatments take you would hope that it would at least give us a little break and take away the hair growth... but nope... no such luck for me... and from the node removal a year and a half later, I'm still numb so shaving is something I do very carefully... top it off, I'm blind in my left eye so I can't see when I shave on my radiated side...lol... gotta laugh... what's a girl to do!

Hugs,
    ~T

Yes, unfortunately I've got the darn hair back!
    Even after the axillary node dissection with 23 lymph nodes removed! My surgeon suggests using a hair removal product such as "Nair" instead of a razor or electric razor. Geez--you'd think we could get away with just one thing--right?!

Hugs, Renee
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member

I don't have any hair, so, I
    I don't have any hair, so, I still don't shave. And, I don't sweat either. YEH! ♥ Kristin ♥
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Marcia527 said:

Surgery was done December
    Surgery was done December 2003 and rads in 2004 but the site is just now feeling not numb. No hair yet but they removed a lot. 15 lymph nodes. I think he removed all the hair follicles. And the sweat glands.

No hair and no sweating! :)

No hair and no sweating! :)
  • Jean 0609
    Jean 0609 Member Posts: 2,462
    Hi Sue,
    I didn't have rads, but did have chemo and yes my underarm hair is growing back like the rest. Instead of taking my chance with a razor (and an electric razor doesn't cut it for me), I actually go for a waxing every 3 or 4 weeks. I have my eyebrows, underarms & legs waxed. Hugs, jean
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    No Hair
    I had two lymph node dissection. One in '94 and the other in '99.

I consider having no hair grow in the axilla to be one of the perks of surgeries and radiation.

SIROD