Just lost job and...

angelwoman1
angelwoman1 Member Posts: 6
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I lost my job on 11/15/2010. Was laid off among 29 other people there. The only diference is I still have to go thru radiation now. The hospital is helping me with the cobra for now at 400 monthly till (hopfully)my medicaid kicks in. Well, I have to interview for jobs,need to get a wig, but my question is,how or do I tell people I have cancer and how if I dont tell them I still have to get radiation for 5 days a week for 5 weeks?

Comments

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    I don't know Angelwoman but
    I don't know Angelwoman but I'm sure someone here can help you. I just want to say I hope it all goes well with you and you find an even better job with people that help and support you.
    hugs
    jan
  • angelwoman1
    angelwoman1 Member Posts: 6

I don't know Angelwoman but I'm sure someone here can help you. I just want to say I hope it all goes well with you and you find an even better job with people that help and support you.
    hugs
    jan

Just wanted to thank you for your support
    phoenixising, thank you so very much. I just cannot beleive they laid me off. I would have been there 1 yr on dec 1st. Of course no FMLA
  • cinnamonsmile
    cinnamonsmile Member Posts: 1,187 Member
    i would contact your local
    i would contact your local unemployment/job center and speak with a worker there. i am not sure what yours is called in your community, but often they have people who can help people find jobs, interviewing skills,etc. i am sure they could direct you in what to do.
  • sea60
    sea60 Member Posts: 2,613
    I'm sorry you lost your job while having to go through this
    You know, the fact is, cancer is affecting many people and I would hope companies would begin to realize that just because you have a cancer diagnosis, doesn't mean you cannot be a productive person. I know it's probably still considered a risk so I know what you mean about questioning whether or not you should disclose your illness. Do they even ask the "cancer" question in an application for employment?

In any case, I would think it would be hard for you NOT to tell them. I know for me, I had to wait for over an hour to get my few minutes of radiation. Some treatment centers stay open past 5PM now.

I hope and pray it all works out for you.

Hugs,

Sylvia
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member
    sea60 said:

I'm sorry you lost your job while having to go through this
    You know, the fact is, cancer is affecting many people and I would hope companies would begin to realize that just because you have a cancer diagnosis, doesn't mean you cannot be a productive person. I know it's probably still considered a risk so I know what you mean about questioning whether or not you should disclose your illness. Do they even ask the "cancer" question in an application for employment?

In any case, I would think it would be hard for you NOT to tell them. I know for me, I had to wait for over an hour to get my few minutes of radiation. Some treatment centers stay open past 5PM now.

I hope and pray it all works out for you.

Hugs,

Sylvia

They can't ask you.
    Employers are not allowed to ask you about your health. I would talk to your radiation facility and tell them you will need the earliest time of the day for your treatments. If you get right in, the treatment only takes 15 mins. If you can't start work until a bit late, I would tell a potential employer that your are finishing a project so you can start your day at (whatever time your believe you can get there) for the next (however many weeks you have left by that time). I would definately not tell them about your health issues. Depending on the size of the company, they may feel that you present a risk to their insurance rates or may need to miss time in the future.

Hugs.

Roseann
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    so sorry you are going
    so sorry you are going through this..I don't have any advice but thinkingn of you
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    so sorry you are going
    so sorry you are going through this..I don't have any advice but thinkingn of you
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

hugs
    jan

I am so sorry that you lost
    I am so sorry that you lost your job. I just know that you will find another one, an even better one!

Sending you lots of hugs and prayers,

Sue :)
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294

i would contact your local
    i would contact your local unemployment/job center and speak with a worker there. i am not sure what yours is called in your community, but often they have people who can help people find jobs, interviewing skills,etc. i am sure they could direct you in what to do.

sorry for your job
    Please read this discussion: http://csn.cancer.org/node/206178
    it has different opinions you can choose whatever is make sense for you.

my story:
    I was laid off among 5 people on my last day of radiation treatment. No hair, fatigue, Cnemo brain, hot flashes. I filed for disability and continued my treatment and rehabilitation. i did not look for the first 6 months. i was too exhausted from cancer treatment.
    it took me almost a year to recover from cancer treatment and start looking for a job. depending on your occupation the interview process could be difficult. I found my new job 12 months later. for my current job I had to meet and talk with 8 people, give 45 min presentation and participate at business lunch. I knew I could not do it during treatment. it was a right approach for me to wait and listen to my body. I never told my new employer about my health condition.

Your occupation could have less demanding hiring process, so maybe it is ok to start looking now.Radiation treatment can cause additional fatugue, it is a common side effect.
    Good luck
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I think, if it were me, I
    I think, if it were me, I would use the unemployment and/or disability benefits and take that time to complete treatment and recover. Of course, that would have to be financially feasible. During that time I would still look at what jobs are out there and apply for those that look like really really good opportunities. If it's not a great fit, then I wouldn't apply. This way, I could fine tune my resume, and practice interviewing skills. Once treatment was complete, then I would broaden my job search if necessary.

As for the 'do I tell them' question...that would depend on the company, the interviewers, and the direct supervisor. I would make that decision on a case by case basis. There are some people and some companies I could tell, and others that I wouldn't tell. So I'd have a plan and a 'script' for both.

I hope this helps. Good luck!

Linda
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

sorry for your job
    Please read this discussion: http://csn.cancer.org/node/206178
    it has different opinions you can choose whatever is make sense for you.

my story:
    I was laid off among 5 people on my last day of radiation treatment. No hair, fatigue, Cnemo brain, hot flashes. I filed for disability and continued my treatment and rehabilitation. i did not look for the first 6 months. i was too exhausted from cancer treatment.
    it took me almost a year to recover from cancer treatment and start looking for a job. depending on your occupation the interview process could be difficult. I found my new job 12 months later. for my current job I had to meet and talk with 8 people, give 45 min presentation and participate at business lunch. I knew I could not do it during treatment. it was a right approach for me to wait and listen to my body. I never told my new employer about my health condition.

Your occupation could have less demanding hiring process, so maybe it is ok to start looking now.Radiation treatment can cause additional fatugue, it is a common side effect.
    Good luck

This is awful that you lost
    This is awful that you lost your job now, during treatment and during the holidays. I am so sorry. I hope that you find another job very quickly. Rads will make you tired, so, get lots of rest. Good luck!
  • filimu
    filimu Member Posts: 74

I think, if it were me, I would use the unemployment and/or disability benefits and take that time to complete treatment and recover. Of course, that would have to be financially feasible. During that time I would still look at what jobs are out there and apply for those that look like really really good opportunities. If it's not a great fit, then I wouldn't apply. This way, I could fine tune my resume, and practice interviewing skills. Once treatment was complete, then I would broaden my job search if necessary.

As for the 'do I tell them' question...that would depend on the company, the interviewers, and the direct supervisor. I would make that decision on a case by case basis. There are some people and some companies I could tell, and others that I wouldn't tell. So I'd have a plan and a 'script' for both.

Linda

I know
    for myself I wasn't able to work through the major portion of my treatments. I ended up having 6 surgeries in 17 months, and along with all the appending doctor appointments, lab visits, etc, as well as the total fatigue and soreness I couldn't have given any kind of proper attention to a job of any kind - I could barely function around the house. I did, however, start looking for part time work about 6 months before the last surgery, to get back in the swing of things, and luckily I found something that worked out to the right time frame. I began working just about a week after my, and easiest, surgery. When I interviewed, I just didn't mention my illness, I put off my time off work to moving, and remodeling in my new place, as well as spending that last 6 months searching for a job. It seemed to work out OK.

Since it's only a part time job, I don't have benefits, but it's at least some income to help out, and thank heaven for that, as I was out of my savings and it was getting tight.
  • criptupnana
    criptupnana Member Posts: 11
    You could try
    to apply for SSD. I found out that cancer alone is enough reason to apply for the benefits. If your income is low, (under $1150/month) then you may qualify for SSI instead which would allow you to draw from whatever health program your state may have or medicaid. Contact your local social security office and see what they say. You can make an appointment for an interview there in the office or they interview over the phone. SSD requires a 5 month waiting period. I'm not sure about SSI, it may not. Sounds like you are like the rest of us and have worked hard for many years. These benefits are for YOU. You have paid in to them for years, undoubtedly, so now is the time to receive help. I know this might be difficult, but when we need help, we need help. Good luck!!
  • canjuncutie
    canjuncutie Member Posts: 131
    I am sorry
    The unemployment here was of little help. I got lucky found a part time job. After 2 monthes of looking. in fl it very rough to find work. I got a lot of we cant use you to a couple no problem but we not making our minds up until after the first of the year. I went with a wig and without a wig.I be praying for you
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member

Linda

As if you don't have enough
    As if you don't have enough to deal with, this happens. I am so sorry. Sending positive thoughts and lots of prayers and hugs! ♥ Kristin ♥
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991

Linda

I hope you can use
    I hope you can use unemployment to help you. The benefits were just extended, so, that should help you for awhile. I wish you good luck in finding a job and am so sorry that you even have to look for one.

Good luck!