remisson

disneyfan2008
disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
When does remission start? from first mammo after surgery that is all clear? no issues?

Comments

• Scotch Freckles
    Scotch Freckles Member Posts: 273 Member
    Remission begins on the 1st day of the last day of your 5th year of treatment. Seems like a long time but does go by quickely.

Scotch Freckles
  • roseann4
    roseann4 Member Posts: 992 Member

Remission begins on the 1st day of the last day of your 5th year of treatment. Seems like a long time but does go by quickely.

Scotch Freckles

I always thought...
    I thought remission started with NED. My friend just finished his treatments for lymphoma and said he was in remission.

Roseann
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Hope this helps
    Remission medically simply means "the partial or complete disappearance of the clinical and subjective characteristics of a chronic or malignant disease." (from Mosby's Medical Dictionary). I would say that remission begins as soon as your disease begins to lessen or when you are clinically no longer showing evidence of cancer.

The 5 year mark has nothing to do with remission. Clinically however, it is often used as a prognostic indicator because, if you reach it, prognosis may be improved or you may even be cured. I am reluctant to talk about cures anymore as my recurrence arrived 22 years after my initial diagnosis.

Being an optimist, I counted my first remission as beginning after my mastectomy--even before chemo, tamoxifen and rads. Now I consider myself in remission again (although not curable) since beginning zometa and arimidex in 2009.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    My Onc. told me when, after
    My Onc. told me when, after going over my bloodwork taken a week after my last chemo treatment, I asked him where I should consider myself in terms of my cancer treatment & diagnosis. He said that I should consider myself in remission & free from cancer. I had both breasts removed & reconstructed, so no mammos for me, but I also haven't had any scans or anything, my Onc does not see the need for one for me!
    So I've been EXTREMELY happily in remission for a few months now :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • disneyfan2008

Scotch Freckles

Thanks...i never really knew
    exactly what it meant totally or how long...Next month is only 3 yrs since it all started...thanks for info
  • disneyfan2008

Scotch Freckles

Thanks...i never really knew
    exactly what it meant totally or how long...Next month is only 3 yrs since it all started...thanks for info
  • disneyfan2008

My Onc. told me when, after
    My Onc. told me when, after going over my bloodwork taken a week after my last chemo treatment, I asked him where I should consider myself in terms of my cancer treatment & diagnosis. He said that I should consider myself in remission & free from cancer. I had both breasts removed & reconstructed, so no mammos for me, but I also haven't had any scans or anything, my Onc does not see the need for one for me!
    So I've been EXTREMELY happily in remission for a few months now :)
    *hugs*
    Heather

since surgery
    I have had mammos (seems like all the time) all good..had 2 d & C everything ok...so still not all clear for me yet? as far as remission? I never really tought of it..
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member

Hope this helps
    Remission medically simply means "the partial or complete disappearance of the clinical and subjective characteristics of a chronic or malignant disease." (from Mosby's Medical Dictionary). I would say that remission begins as soon as your disease begins to lessen or when you are clinically no longer showing evidence of cancer.

The 5 year mark has nothing to do with remission. Clinically however, it is often used as a prognostic indicator because, if you reach it, prognosis may be improved or you may even be cured. I am reluctant to talk about cures anymore as my recurrence arrived 22 years after my initial diagnosis.

Being an optimist, I counted my first remission as beginning after my mastectomy--even before chemo, tamoxifen and rads. Now I consider myself in remission again (although not curable) since beginning zometa and arimidex in 2009.

I guess I considered myself
    I guess I considered myself in remission when my treatments ended. Is that right?
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    I think when the term is
    I think when the term is used depends on the DR. I had chemo before surgery (mod. rad. mast.) so that 'it' (IBC) could shrink and get margins so he had a chance of get it all. It did and when I saw him after surgery he said that he considered that I was NED then. Chemo Dr wouldn't say that til after the post surgery chemo and rrads. Rads Dr said I was NED before starting rads but because of being IBC - had to do it as 'insurance'.

I did not have another mammogram until a year after DX. Different cancers have different prognosis According to all my Drs there was no need for one sooner (unless I found something) as while IBC is very aggressive and does like to do mets, it very seldom ever goes to the other breast.

Susan