fatigue

Jean T. Szabo
Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
On Christmas Eve...fatigue. Wanted to go to Christmas Mass and couldn't get enough strength to get dressed and rive there. This was a true disappointment. Anyone else ever experience this type of fatigue?

Comments

• jessiesmom1
    jessiesmom1 Member Posts: 915 Member
    Fatigue
    Oh my goodness, absolutely YES. I most certainly did have periods of overwhelming fatigue while I was doing chemo (4 rounds of A/C and 12 rounds of Taxotere). There were a number of days that getting undressed to take a shower, showering and getting dressed again (even if it was only to put on my pajamas)was the only activity that day I could manage. I remember sitting there on my plastic shower chair and saying to myself, "Well, that is enough for today." Once chemo was over (last one on Aug. 4th) my energy and endurance began to come back. It is still far from normal, but is much improved from the low point. I am sure you will get plenty of sympathetic responses to your inquiry. It is always nice to know that whatever problem we are having that someone else here had it and can relate.

Happy Holidays.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member

Fatigue
    Oh my goodness, absolutely YES. I most certainly did have periods of overwhelming fatigue while I was doing chemo (4 rounds of A/C and 12 rounds of Taxotere). There were a number of days that getting undressed to take a shower, showering and getting dressed again (even if it was only to put on my pajamas)was the only activity that day I could manage. I remember sitting there on my plastic shower chair and saying to myself, "Well, that is enough for today." Once chemo was over (last one on Aug. 4th) my energy and endurance began to come back. It is still far from normal, but is much improved from the low point. I am sure you will get plenty of sympathetic responses to your inquiry. It is always nice to know that whatever problem we are having that someone else here had it and can relate.

Happy Holidays.

Oh yes one of my biggest
    Oh yes one of my biggest complaints Much better every week, but now that I have started work its all I can manage to just work. sometimes I get frustrated but then I remember how far I have come, it gets better but during treatment you just have to accept you cant do it all!
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    Oh the fatigue yes yes yes.
    Oh the fatigue yes yes yes. Some times all I want to do is sleep or lay on the couch and vegetate. I try and push through it. It got better after chemo was over but now that I have started Rads it's back. I wonder some times if I will ever feel normal again. 2011 will be better.
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    my Dr would ask me all the time about fatigue
    I would say I dont' think so, not really...what exactly is fatigue? She would say IF YOU had it you would KNOW it...! So I was very lucky...during radiation-never missed a beat..I did tell the Dr I am such a high energy person maybe I would end up like normal person...hehe
  • beetle25
    beetle25 Member Posts: 150 Member

my Dr would ask me all the time about fatigue
    I would say I dont' think so, not really...what exactly is fatigue? She would say IF YOU had it you would KNOW it...! So I was very lucky...during radiation-never missed a beat..I did tell the Dr I am such a high energy person maybe I would end up like normal person...hehe

Fatigue most definetly. I
    Fatigue most definetly. I experienced fatigue following each one of my chemo treatments (6 treatments of TAC) the fatigue would last about 3 days and I usually wasnt able to do much but take a shower and lay on the couch. I was slowly getting my energy back following the last chemo treatment then came surgery and then radiation, and back to no energy and fatigue. At least with the radiation it wasnt as debilitating.
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    beetle25 said:

Fatigue most definetly. I experienced fatigue following each one of my chemo treatments (6 treatments of TAC) the fatigue would last about 3 days and I usually wasnt able to do much but take a shower and lay on the couch. I was slowly getting my energy back following the last chemo treatment then came surgery and then radiation, and back to no energy and fatigue. At least with the radiation it wasnt as debilitating.

I am going to get my thyroid
    I am going to get my thyroid checked though
  • natly15
    natly15 Member Posts: 1,941
    YES YES YES fatigue was my
    YES YES YES fatigue was my middle name for quite some time. This all started for me in May 2009. Completed treatment on June 15 of 2010. Had 2 surgeries, 8 rounds of chemo and 33 radiation treatments along with a raging infection at the surgical site. I was so depressed just a month ago over this agonizing fatigue. I started juicing green veggies about 2 months ago and finally am getting my energy back. Not sure if it's the juicing or just my time to feel better. Hang in there, it will eventually get better but it takes TIME. I thought I'd never feel normal again, but it is honestly getting better and better.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Yes i had extreme fatigue
    Yes i had extreme fatigue during & after chemo. 2 months past chemo & i still have it, although it's getting a little better every day. Like it was said earlier, it takes time :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • Betsy13
    Betsy13 Member Posts: 185
    YES!
    the fatigue has been excruciating. It feels like I'm carring around an extra 500 tons some days. It is much better than it was, but my rad onc told me I was at the really bad end of the side effects ~ miner included shortness of breath, nausea, and borderline migraines as well as the fatigue. I still nap 45 mins. to an hour per day. I'm a mess if I don't get my nap. I finished radiation (no chemo) 5/28/10 and still suffer from my side effects. They are better, but still lay me out. My rad. onc. said in Oct., it would probably be another year. yippee.

I hope yours gets better soon!
    Betsy
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    Betsy13 said:

YES!
    the fatigue has been excruciating. It feels like I'm carring around an extra 500 tons some days. It is much better than it was, but my rad onc told me I was at the really bad end of the side effects ~ miner included shortness of breath, nausea, and borderline migraines as well as the fatigue. I still nap 45 mins. to an hour per day. I'm a mess if I don't get my nap. I finished radiation (no chemo) 5/28/10 and still suffer from my side effects. They are better, but still lay me out. My rad. onc. said in Oct., it would probably be another year. yippee.

Betsy

so sorry you all had to go through or going through this
    I was lucky to not have to deal with it...I hope things get better...

HOPE the new year is better
  • weazer
    weazer Member Posts: 440

so sorry you all had to go through or going through this
    I was lucky to not have to deal with it...I hope things get better...

HOPE the new year is better

Yes My dear
    It was very hard at times for me to even go to the store shower etc....stay strong and you will get better!
    Hugs Karie
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    weazer said:

Yes My dear
    It was very hard at times for me to even go to the store shower etc....stay strong and you will get better!
    Hugs Karie

Yeah, my worst complaint! I
    Yeah, my worst complaint! I feel tired all the time, but I am anemic and my blood count is very low. My doctor told me to take iron, so that seems to help some only it makes you very constipated. Also, you my want to try a big juice steak or burger. Red meat has a lot of iron in it. One day I was craving a burger, (I am not a big meat eater) after I ate it I felt better. I guess my body knew what it needed.
  • Rague
    Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
    You might ask your Dr about
    You might ask your Dr about your Vit.D and B complex levels. We're in winter and they can both go down causing issues.

Susan
  • Ritzy
    Ritzy Member Posts: 4,381 Member

Oh the fatigue yes yes yes.
    Oh the fatigue yes yes yes. Some times all I want to do is sleep or lay on the couch and vegetate. I try and push through it. It got better after chemo was over but now that I have started Rads it's back. I wonder some times if I will ever feel normal again. 2011 will be better.

I didn't have chemo, so, I
    I didn't have chemo, so, I didn't have fatigue from that. I was very tired during rads and afterwords. We go through so much, mentally and physically, that it just takes time for our energy to return. Yours will, just take it one day at a time, and, try not to stress about it. Just be kind to yourself.

Sue :)
  • VickiSam
    VickiSam Member Posts: 9,079 Member
    Rague said:

You might ask your Dr about
    You might ask your Dr about your Vit.D and B complex levels. We're in winter and they can both go down causing issues.

Susan

I had thyroid cancer ... abt 25 years ago .. thyroid
    gland removed, radiation etc... Chronic Fatigue suffered for 9 months .. going to PT. I don't know why this was never mentioned during my breast cancer battle and struggle in trying to get back to normal ... hummmmmmmmmm

Lack of energy, or the general lack of life .. is a kicker and a menace to us WARRIORS. Jean .. Please note .. that it does get better, not a once .. but a little every day. In fact, don't tell anyone .. but I seemed sharper, mentally and physically energied when I exercised during my physical therapy sessions. Many survivors wrote, suggesting excerise or walking to help with my fatigue, and it worked on the days I pushed and cried .. however, there were days when I just couldn't get out of bed.

I am better and healthier than this time last year, now that is progression in my book .. and it's taken a loooooong time to get here .. but I am here, and not there laying in bed for hours at a time.. It does get better ..

Strength and Courage

Vicki Sam
  • DebbyM
    DebbyM Member Posts: 3,289 Member
    beetle25 said:

I was really fatigued from
    I was really fatigued from radiation treatments, but, I found that by exercising, just by simply taking walks with my hubby, really helped me to gain strength back. I know it sounds strange, but, it worked for me.

Hope you feel better soon.

Hugs, Debby
  • Angie2U
    Angie2U Member Posts: 2,991
    Betsy13 said:

YES!

Betsy

I was extremely tired from
    I was extremely tired from radiation. I didn't have chemo, but, I am sure that makes it even worse. It takes awhile to get some strength back. Get as much rest as you can and if you need help in sleeping, see if your oncologist will prescribe a sleeping pill or something. You need to get your rest.

Praying that you will feel better very soon,

Angie