Anyone suspect they may be experiencing "Chemo Brain" as result of cancer treatments?

HeartofSoul
HeartofSoul Member Posts: 729 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I thought this article may help some as it relates to "chemo brain"

Cognitive Changes Associated with Chemotherapy

Tim Ahles, PhD, is a behavioral psychologist with a special interest in the cognitive effects of cancer treatments. His work focuses on cognitive-behavioral interventions designed to improve symptom management (e.g., cognitive problems, pain, and sleep disorders) and to reduce stress associated with cancer and cancer treatments.

http://mskcc.org/mskcc/shared/graphics/Living_Beyond_Cancer/Bridges/Spring_2009.pdf

What is “chemobrain”?

Chemobrain is a term coined by cancer survivors to refer to changes in cognition (the process of thought) following treatment with chemotherapy. The most common cognitive problems reported are in the areas of attention and concentration, short-term memory (the ability to remember or learn new information), and the ability to multitask. Many people report that chemobrain comes and goes (there are good days and bad days) or that they are fine if they have only one task, but begin having problems if there are multiple tasks, distractions, or time pressures/deadlines. The cognitive changes are typically subtle in that friends and family are often unaware of the changes. However, these cognitive changes can be very important to the individual experiencing them because changes in cognitive functioning can influence their ability to accomplish day-to-day and work-related activities. In part, the impact of chemobrain depends on one’s life demands. If a person is working, has young children at home, and is responsible for organizing a household, then any change in the ability to multitask may be very problematic. On the other hand, if the person is retired and has a more relaxed, flexible schedule, then the impact of chemobrain may be less dramatic.

Does everyone experience chemobrain, and how long does it last?

During chemotherapy, almost everyone experiences changes in cognitive abilities because of the acute effects of chemotherapy. However, the majority of people report gradual improvement in most chemotherapy-related side effects, including cognitive abilities, over six to 18 months post-chemotherapy. However, 20 to 25 percent of survivors report that they only recover to 70 to 80 percent of their pretreatment level. For this group of survivors, the change in cognitive functioning seems to be permanent. However, the one bit of good news is that these changes seem to remain at the same level and do not get worse over time.

Is chemotherapy the only cancer treatment that influences cognitive functioning?

No, there are several types of cancer treatments that can cause changes in cognitive functioning. For people with brain tumors, surgery and radiation to the brain can cause severe cognitive challenges. Additionally, we know that sex hormones (estrogen for women and testosterone for men) are important in maintaining normal memory functioning; therefore, treatments that influence these hormone levels can influence cognitive abilities. Examples include tamoxifen or aromatase inhibitors used in the treatment of breast cancer and androgen ablation used in the treatment of prostate cancer.

Are there any treatments for chemobrain available?

Unfortunately, we do not have specific treatments yet; however, researchers are studying two approaches: medications and cognitive rehabilitation. A variety of medications that activate the brain and reduce fatigue (a common coexisting problem) are being studied. Ritalin is an example of this type of medication. Cognitive rehabilitation means teaching people strategies that help to make up for their cognitive problems, such as memory aids (calendars, lists, Palm Pilots), organizational skills (placing the
car keys in a basket near the door), and time- and stress-management skills.

Comments

• Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    Yes...Yes and Yes! I have
    Yes...Yes and Yes! I have chemo brain and in all seriousness, it does scare me sometimes. I have learned to live with it though and have come to a level of acceptance.

I am a year and 2 months out of chemo and it has no signs of leaving yet. I am hopeful that someday it might go away, but different studies that I've read, say it can get better or it may not go away.

It's just one of the things we have to endure to fight this beast.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    For years.....lol....
    I will take a bit of an exception (naturally...WHAT a HAG!) to "On the other hand, if the person is retired and has a more relaxed, flexible schedule, then the impact of chemobrain may be less dramatic." Less dramatic, maybe, but just as strong....

I REALLY worry about what happens when I get older (note, not old, but oldER). My dad's mom died from progressed altzheimers...sigh...with my chemo causing such problems (5 different chemicals, within 6 months...) during and after treatment...well...I wonder....

Ativan, in some people, can cause short term memory loss, as well...my daughter was one, my beau, when given too much, (the symptom is INCREASED not decreased anxiety...the healthcare community will then give MORE...sigh...and make it far worse...) lost all short term function for over a month...

The thing that helps me the most (now, don't laugh) is word puzzles and sudoku. Sort of like exercise for the grey cells!!! I noticed a distinct improvement when I started working these...didn't get frustrated when I couldn't finish...just put down, came back to it...to this day, Sudoku books litter my house...lol....

Hugs, Kathi
  • waffle8
    waffle8 Member Posts: 234

Yes...Yes and Yes! I have
    Yes...Yes and Yes! I have chemo brain and in all seriousness, it does scare me sometimes. I have learned to live with it though and have come to a level of acceptance.

I am a year and 2 months out of chemo and it has no signs of leaving yet. I am hopeful that someday it might go away, but different studies that I've read, say it can get better or it may not go away.

It's just one of the things we have to endure to fight this beast.

Thanks
    I am glad you posted this info...It explains lots of my crazy moments..I was wondering about the chemo brain coming and going..Because some days I feel like I got it all together and others not.. I actually tried to get in the wrong car at the post office I forgot I was driving my subaru instead of the honda...LOL In my defense the car was the same color..
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I don't suspect it...I know it
    I notice the chemo brain mostly in my linguistic abilities...words get stuck between my brain and tongue, words I know won't come to mind, sometimes the words get tangled around my tongue, can't spell anymore...all much more frequently and more intensely than my pre-chemo brain. It's quite frustrating.

Merry Christmas,

Linda
  • Jean T. Szabo
    Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193

I don't suspect it...I know it
    I notice the chemo brain mostly in my linguistic abilities...words get stuck between my brain and tongue, words I know won't come to mind, sometimes the words get tangled around my tongue, can't spell anymore...all much more frequently and more intensely than my pre-chemo brain. It's quite frustrating.

Merry Christmas,

Linda

Memory
    Talked with Onc. about "Chemo brain". He said it was something that will not last too long after Chemotherapy is done. It is similar to going through Menopause again, short term memory loss. Always have been very organized with lists and such so believe it will not be as stressful. Have had my Last Chemo and my last Neualsta shot!!! Now waiting to start radiation treatments after recovery. Not surprised about short term memory loss, the chemical hangover causes "foggy thinking".
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member

Memory
    Talked with Onc. about "Chemo brain". He said it was something that will not last too long after Chemotherapy is done. It is similar to going through Menopause again, short term memory loss. Always have been very organized with lists and such so believe it will not be as stressful. Have had my Last Chemo and my last Neualsta shot!!! Now waiting to start radiation treatments after recovery. Not surprised about short term memory loss, the chemical hangover causes "foggy thinking".

KathiM you are so right
    KathiM you are so right about Ativan. I also found that after a period of time, I was more depressed. I have stopped taking it now and just keep it for a really rough day or to help sleep once in a while.

Jean, I know all doctors are different and say different things, but, for me, chemo brain hasn't gone away and some days is even worse. The days that I have a lot to do, I get overwhelmed and can't concentrate on each task anymore. I have always been very good at organization and have worked at a newspaper with daily deadlines so it doesn't descriminate. LOL. The most frustating thing is when words don't find there way to my lips.

I hope that you don't ever have to deal with it, I'm just saying that unless your doctor has actually had chemo brain, he really doesn't know.
    (in my opinion).
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    I have noticed
    several instances of chemo brain. I just finished treatment 2 weeks ago so it will be awhile before I know how long it may last. I was already forgetful after going through menopause. I used to call it a "Senior Moment" but now it's chemo brain! Thanks for posting the info.
    Char
  • meena1
    meena1 Member Posts: 1,003
    cahjah75 said:

I have noticed
    several instances of chemo brain. I just finished treatment 2 weeks ago so it will be awhile before I know how long it may last. I was already forgetful after going through menopause. I used to call it a "Senior Moment" but now it's chemo brain! Thanks for posting the info.
    Char

yes, i also have chemo
    yes, i also have chemo brain. I have always been somewhat unfocused, but now it is much worse. I am so scared that I will not be able to handle my job when i go back to work
  • carkris
    carkris Member Posts: 4,553 Member
    meena1 said:

yes, i also have chemo
    yes, i also have chemo brain. I have always been somewhat unfocused, but now it is much worse. I am so scared that I will not be able to handle my job when i go back to work

I experienced chemo brain.
    I experienced chemo brain. Just couldnt remember things I used to have no issues with. I still feel more foggy especially when I am tired. But it has improved markedly like night and day. My symptoms were like Linds's. When I feel this way, I just write things down, and when I want to remember something, I stop and tell myself what I want to know. Then I am more likely to remember. I have started back to work, and feel very able to do so. So in y experience it gets better, and I wish the same for all of you .
  • lizzie17
    lizzie17 Member Posts: 548
    thanks for posting
    When I am tired, it is much worse. I substitute words for other words, but my oncologist promises it is not early alzheimers....
    and will go away after treatment. From reading this, it may not completely go away.
  • KathyLQ
    KathyLQ Member Posts: 100
    Other things are similar
    Most definitely any drug can cause changes to our brains ability to function normally.

Could be chemotherapy, or drugs for other diseases, or even a disease itself.

I also have chronic Lyme disease. Didn't know I had it for about 2-4 years, because I didn't have a rash and didn't know I had been bit by a tick. The Lyme bacterium Borrelia goes everywhere in your body, it easily gets into the brain. Those of us who've had Lyme talk about having a "foggy brain", because we experience brain fog, short term memory loss, and other cognitive problems.

I teach at a community college part time. I had an episode where brain fog was so bad, I walked into class one evening to lecture, and I realized I didn't know a single name of a single student in class. You can't imagine the panic that caused me. I lectured for about an hour that night, then excused the class early, I was so scared.

I had known I had been around ticks, and this was one indicator that sent me on an internet search and found a forum on Lyme, which lead to me getting a positive lab test... then treatment... and thankfully a pretty good improvement on the brain fog.

So I can completely relate to "chemo brain", although I'm not taking chemotherapy.