possible new 'Family' member

FayCoTodd
FayCoTodd Member Posts: 11
edited March 2014 in Lung Cancer #1
Im here to see if anyone can ease my mind just a lil. Recently went to ER with chest pain, chest x-ray showed a small spot, and a follow up CT scan was done, an 8mm soft non calcified nodule was found in lower right lobe, and a smaller calcified nodule in left lung. A follow up scan was scheduled for January. I have smoked for over 30 yrs, my risk factors are pretty bad. Now here is where I get more worried. I am so fatigued, chest pains, pain in shoulder blade and lower back, and at times I have severe pain right around my lower rib area on my right side and sometimes I get a spasm there that lasts for a few minutes or longer and knots up. Are these consistent with cancer, or am I just a schizo?

thanks for any advice anyone has

-Todd

Comments

• stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    Don't count your nodules until they're biopsied...
    Hi, Todd,
    I don't mean to be flip (not much anyway), but your symptoms aside from the nodules are also consistent with other things, like pneumonia, for instance. Are the docs going to do a biopsy?

I also have spasms exactly as you described, in the lower rib area, like a prolonged muscle contraction - I get this most commonly when I'm a little dehydrated, and I think it may have more to do with my emphysema than anything else.

You're not schizo at all, you've been told there's something in your lung that doesn't belong there, of course you're going to worry! You'll be following up in a week and a half, though; that's not long, and it may be nothing serious. Keep posting!

stayingcalm
  • JohnBinDC
    JohnBinDC Member Posts: 91 Member
    Todd
    I agree with StayingCalm and hope you do not become a club member. Regardless, please keep us posted as we will be wishing you the very best. I just went through that period of not knowing and that was a difficult as many thoughts went through my mind. (even though my brain scan was negative, thus I assumes there was no mind). Anyway, best wishes and please keep in touch.

John
  • FayCoTodd
    JohnBinDC said:

Todd
    I agree with StayingCalm and hope you do not become a club member. Regardless, please keep us posted as we will be wishing you the very best. I just went through that period of not knowing and that was a difficult as many thoughts went through my mind. (even though my brain scan was negative, thus I assumes there was no mind). Anyway, best wishes and please keep in touch.

John

Thanks
    I am keeping the faith, but it is hard at times... I was told after first chest x-ray that they thought it was just scar tissue and that the CT scan would prove that, when the scan came back and I was told it was not scar tissue my heart sank. I will update and keep you informed. From what I've seen on this board, if there is a diagnoses of cancer, this board will be helpful and encouraging. you all rock!
  • z
    z Member Posts: 1,414 Member
    FayCoTodd said:

Thanks
    I am keeping the faith, but it is hard at times... I was told after first chest x-ray that they thought it was just scar tissue and that the CT scan would prove that, when the scan came back and I was told it was not scar tissue my heart sank. I will update and keep you informed. From what I've seen on this board, if there is a diagnoses of cancer, this board will be helpful and encouraging. you all rock!

Todd
    Hi Todd, I hope you won't become part of the family.

I was a 35 year smoker until 5-4-09, when I was dx with anal cancer. On 9-23-10 I was dx with a primary lung cancer.

Initially, because I had a pet/ct for follow up of anal cancer, a 7mm lung nodule was found in my lower right lobe. The medical follow up for me was to scan again in 3 months to see if it grew, and yes it grew to 11mm, so it was decided it should come out. I had the vats procedure to remove my lower right lobe on 9-23-10, and before they removed the lobe they biopsied the nodule and it was squamous cell, so they proceeded from there.

I feel absolutely fine now and the next scan is 1-17-11. I didn't have to have follow up chemo or radiation as that was the only place the cancer was. I was staged a 1A lung cancer. The cure rate is 85%. I would say thats pretty good. Of course it could return somewhere else but of course not in the lobe that was removed. Hopefully, your nodule will be inflammation. I wish you well and know that this is very treatable, but I would rather not have you as part of the family, let us know. Lori
  • FayCoTodd

Don't count your nodules until they're biopsied...
    Hi, Todd,
    I don't mean to be flip (not much anyway), but your symptoms aside from the nodules are also consistent with other things, like pneumonia, for instance. Are the docs going to do a biopsy?

I also have spasms exactly as you described, in the lower rib area, like a prolonged muscle contraction - I get this most commonly when I'm a little dehydrated, and I think it may have more to do with my emphysema than anything else.

You're not schizo at all, you've been told there's something in your lung that doesn't belong there, of course you're going to worry! You'll be following up in a week and a half, though; that's not long, and it may be nothing serious. Keep posting!

stayingcalm

biopsy
    I was told that 8mm was too small to biopsy, from what i've read 8mm is the line that is drawn between waiting and biopsy, hoping it doesnt come to that.

-Todd
  • groundhog
    groundhog Member Posts: 44
    z said:

Todd
    Hi Todd, I hope you won't become part of the family.

I was a 35 year smoker until 5-4-09, when I was dx with anal cancer. On 9-23-10 I was dx with a primary lung cancer.

Initially, because I had a pet/ct for follow up of anal cancer, a 7mm lung nodule was found in my lower right lobe. The medical follow up for me was to scan again in 3 months to see if it grew, and yes it grew to 11mm, so it was decided it should come out. I had the vats procedure to remove my lower right lobe on 9-23-10, and before they removed the lobe they biopsied the nodule and it was squamous cell, so they proceeded from there.

I feel absolutely fine now and the next scan is 1-17-11. I didn't have to have follow up chemo or radiation as that was the only place the cancer was. I was staged a 1A lung cancer. The cure rate is 85%. I would say thats pretty good. Of course it could return somewhere else but of course not in the lobe that was removed. Hopefully, your nodule will be inflammation. I wish you well and know that this is very treatable, but I would rather not have you as part of the family, let us know. Lori

8mm nodule
    Sounds very familiar. I had one of those little devils. I was told to get a follow up x-ray in three months (mine was also found at 8mm). In three months it grew to 10mm or 1 centimeter. Then pet/ct scan, inconclusive, and biopsy found sclc afterwards. It was removed within five months of being found and at removal was 21mm or 2.1 centimeter. So found at half the width of a dime, and removed at about the width of a nickel. Followed up with chemo and pci radiation, my scans are fine. Hope this helps you Todd, the not knowing is the worst part. Your nodule can still calcify on its own, if so you're fine. If not, still very beatable.

gh
  • catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398
    groundhog said:

8mm nodule
    Sounds very familiar. I had one of those little devils. I was told to get a follow up x-ray in three months (mine was also found at 8mm). In three months it grew to 10mm or 1 centimeter. Then pet/ct scan, inconclusive, and biopsy found sclc afterwards. It was removed within five months of being found and at removal was 21mm or 2.1 centimeter. So found at half the width of a dime, and removed at about the width of a nickel. Followed up with chemo and pci radiation, my scans are fine. Hope this helps you Todd, the not knowing is the worst part. Your nodule can still calcify on its own, if so you're fine. If not, still very beatable.

gh

Todd
    I also had a nodule in the lower right lobe 1.2cm. This was cancer, Stage 1a. I have another one in the upper left lobe which is calcified. This one was not cancer. I was also told that under 1cm it is very difficult to biopsy. Doctor did not want to biopsy the LR lobe nodule. I live in a small city, but once I felt that the doctors were walking me down the road to a cancer dx, I called the University of PA (teaching hospital) They said I would need to have a cancer dx before a surgeon would talk to me. I pushed the doctor here to do biopsy. It was determined that it was cancer. I had VATS Surgery to remove the LR Lobe They surgery was 2 1/2 years ago. I did not have Chemo, That I am currently cancer free. My mom has a nodule 1.1 that lites up on PET scan at 2.4. Not cancer. Try not to worry, I know it is very difficult, but worrying isn't going to help. Get a plan of action. Some hospitals have nodule clinics, where very skilled surgeons keep a watchful eye on any changes on nodules. Also try not to beat yourself up for being a smoker. I was also a long time smoker (with the exception of quiting for 6 years about 15 years ago). But the type of cancer I had is most common to women and non smokers. So go figure. Not that I am advocating smoking, I am sure it contributed, the most any of the doctors will say is that it was from environmental causes. I hope everything works out well for you. But remember it isn't cancer until they examine it under a microscope. So think positive.
  • FayCoTodd
    catcon49 said:

Todd
    I also had a nodule in the lower right lobe 1.2cm. This was cancer, Stage 1a. I have another one in the upper left lobe which is calcified. This one was not cancer. I was also told that under 1cm it is very difficult to biopsy. Doctor did not want to biopsy the LR lobe nodule. I live in a small city, but once I felt that the doctors were walking me down the road to a cancer dx, I called the University of PA (teaching hospital) They said I would need to have a cancer dx before a surgeon would talk to me. I pushed the doctor here to do biopsy. It was determined that it was cancer. I had VATS Surgery to remove the LR Lobe They surgery was 2 1/2 years ago. I did not have Chemo, That I am currently cancer free. My mom has a nodule 1.1 that lites up on PET scan at 2.4. Not cancer. Try not to worry, I know it is very difficult, but worrying isn't going to help. Get a plan of action. Some hospitals have nodule clinics, where very skilled surgeons keep a watchful eye on any changes on nodules. Also try not to beat yourself up for being a smoker. I was also a long time smoker (with the exception of quiting for 6 years about 15 years ago). But the type of cancer I had is most common to women and non smokers. So go figure. Not that I am advocating smoking, I am sure it contributed, the most any of the doctors will say is that it was from environmental causes. I hope everything works out well for you. But remember it isn't cancer until they examine it under a microscope. So think positive.

A Big Ole' Thank You
    Thanks to everyone for giving me encouragement and hope. I am filled with positivity and I am not going to worry any further until the next scan. Thanks again!

~MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR TO YOU ALL~

(((HUGS)))

-Todd
  • stayingcalm
    stayingcalm Member Posts: 650 Member
    catcon49 said:

Todd

*aside*
    *Great picture, Catcon! Only took you nearly 180 posts before you put one up, but it is worth the wait! Who are these beautiful people? Is that you in the middle?
    stayingcalm*
  • catcon49
    catcon49 Member Posts: 398

*aside*
    *Great picture, Catcon! Only took you nearly 180 posts before you put one up, but it is worth the wait! Who are these beautiful people? Is that you in the middle?
    stayingcalm*

I am in the middle
    The boy is my youngest son Casey and my youngest daughter Kate. The older boy and girl are not in the picture. I didn't realize that I had posted 180 times. Just a little shy about getting my picture taken. But that is one thing the dx of cancer is changing for me. I want lots of pictures with me and my kids. Thanks Deb.

c
  • lekkerone
    lekkerone Member Posts: 199 Member
    JohnBinDC said:

Todd

John

Todd
    I also went through a long period of not knowing for sure and of course, had a hard time thinking positive thoughts. Do your best to keep occupied........walking or going to the gym helps. I wish you the best.
  • FayCoTodd
    lekkerone said:

Todd
    I also went through a long period of not knowing for sure and of course, had a hard time thinking positive thoughts. Do your best to keep occupied........walking or going to the gym helps. I wish you the best.

UPDATE
    I know I havent been around, but I did not want to think about the negative, only the positive. I said I would update so here goes: Follow up scan showed some changes in nodule but nothing significant (not sure how I feel about this), another scan in 3 months. Was diagnosed with Emphysema and was put on a Qvar inhaler. I was accepted for VA Medical benefits and will be going through a rather legnthy intake session, like to think of this has getting a second opinion. Once again I want to thank everyone for their concern and insight, it has been very helpful.

-Todd
  • JohnBinDC
    JohnBinDC Member Posts: 91 Member
    FayCoTodd said:

UPDATE
    I know I havent been around, but I did not want to think about the negative, only the positive. I said I would update so here goes: Follow up scan showed some changes in nodule but nothing significant (not sure how I feel about this), another scan in 3 months. Was diagnosed with Emphysema and was put on a Qvar inhaler. I was accepted for VA Medical benefits and will be going through a rather legnthy intake session, like to think of this has getting a second opinion. Once again I want to thank everyone for their concern and insight, it has been very helpful.

-Todd

Thanks for the update Todd...
    ... and I wish your news continues to be good. Not that we don't like you, but we do not want you as a club member! Best wishes always.

John
  • z
    FayCoTodd said:

UPDATE

-Todd

Todd
    Hi Todd,

This sounds good to me, as they are watching to see if it grows, and apparently it has not grown enough for them to consider removing it. Sorry about the emphysema dx. Now my nodule went from 7x8 mm to 11x9 mms after 3 months and the tumor board said it needs to come out. So as long as they are watching, if it were to grow, they would get it at an early stage if it is a cancer. I know several posters who have lived with nodules for years and they have not grown, just an inflammation, irritation of some sort. As we age our outsides reflect age spots, lumps and bumps, so why can't our insides. I still don't want you to become a part of the family. I wish you only the best. Lori
  • FayCoTodd
    z said:

Todd
    Hi Todd,

This sounds good to me, as they are watching to see if it grows, and apparently it has not grown enough for them to consider removing it. Sorry about the emphysema dx. Now my nodule went from 7x8 mm to 11x9 mms after 3 months and the tumor board said it needs to come out. So as long as they are watching, if it were to grow, they would get it at an early stage if it is a cancer. I know several posters who have lived with nodules for years and they have not grown, just an inflammation, irritation of some sort. As we age our outsides reflect age spots, lumps and bumps, so why can't our insides. I still don't want you to become a part of the family. I wish you only the best. Lori

UPDATE *FINALLY*
    Well it's been forever since I've posted I hope everyone is well....

This past January my nodule went to a full cm so they decided to take it out, after pathology was done the tumor was diagnosed as Spindle Cell Sarcoma of the lung. Awaiting results of the 4 month scans, and now your updated, if anyone has any info on so-called Primary Lung Spindle Cell Sarcoma hit me up, thanks!
  • z
    FayCoTodd said:

UPDATE *FINALLY*
    Well it's been forever since I've posted I hope everyone is well....

This past January my nodule went to a full cm so they decided to take it out, after pathology was done the tumor was diagnosed as Spindle Cell Sarcoma of the lung. Awaiting results of the 4 month scans, and now your updated, if anyone has any info on so-called Primary Lung Spindle Cell Sarcoma hit me up, thanks!

Todd
    Hi Todd, I hope your 4 month scans are very boring.

I see they took it out, which is the curative thing to do. I don't know anything about spindle cell sarcoma, as I had NSCLC (squamous). I am sure someone will tell you about it. I wish you well. Lori
  • FayCoTodd
    z said:

Todd
    Hi Todd, I hope your 4 month scans are very boring.

I see they took it out, which is the curative thing to do. I don't know anything about spindle cell sarcoma, as I had NSCLC (squamous). I am sure someone will tell you about it. I wish you well. Lori

Thanks Lori, the V.A. called
    Thanks Lori, the V.A. called about an hour ago and said they aren't sure if there is new growth or if what they are seeing is post-op, as far as the lower extremities they say they don't see anything... Im not real happy so I have an appointment on May 10 to see a Head, Neck and Sarcoma specialist at The James Cancer/Research Center in Columbus, Ohio ...I hope they have definite answers for me.
  • z
    FayCoTodd said:

Thanks Lori, the V.A. called
    Thanks Lori, the V.A. called about an hour ago and said they aren't sure if there is new growth or if what they are seeing is post-op, as far as the lower extremities they say they don't see anything... Im not real happy so I have an appointment on May 10 to see a Head, Neck and Sarcoma specialist at The James Cancer/Research Center in Columbus, Ohio ...I hope they have definite answers for me.

Todd
    Its good that you will have another opinion, it just upsets me when the people you trust your life to leave you in limbo. The waiting is the hardest part for me. I want to know what is going on so as to move forward. I hope that you will get positive answers from the cancer center. I wish you well. Lori
  • FayCoTodd
    z said:

Todd
    Its good that you will have another opinion, it just upsets me when the people you trust your life to leave you in limbo. The waiting is the hardest part for me. I want to know what is going on so as to move forward. I hope that you will get positive answers from the cancer center. I wish you well. Lori

Thanks so much Lori, your
    Thanks so much Lori, your words are appreciated
  • feistyD
    feistyD Member Posts: 21
    FayCoTodd said:

Thanks so much Lori, your
    Thanks so much Lori, your words are appreciated

Spindle Cell
    Hi Todd, I also have spindle cell carcinoma of the lung; apparently it is very rare. So I am glad to meet you. My cancer was found very late- I was already Stage IV with a tumor in my spine, a spot on my pancreas, and other little spots here and there. It sounds like yours was found early, so I wish you the best of luck. I am still doing well a year after my diagnosis and two rounds of chemo, but my oncologist is looking for something "out of the box", since my cancer is "out of the box". Keep in touch.