Linda's GO appointment: Good News

Options
lindachris
lindachris Member Posts: 173
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hello everyone. Friday was my wife's appointment with her gynecological oncologist. We've been going for treatments to a hospital closer to us (a good decision) but retained the GO for supervision and the fact that he's been treating her since 2005. This was my wife's third go-round with chemo, Cisplatin and Taxotere. The weird thing was that her fingernails started bruising. Dark purple bands across her nails and they hurt her doing the simplest thing. The medical oncologist and nursing staff at our chemo hospital took that very seriously and halted chemo two weeks ago. So we waited (a big part of cancer treatment, as we all know, are the waits for this or that) to go see the gynecological oncologist.

The predicating circumstance this time however was good news. The CT Scan from 3 weeks ago showed that the tumor near her colon was completely gone. We've learned to accept such news with measured amounts of gratitude and relief. When the GO examined her said, "Amazing. The tumor's gone."

Linda said, "Well, didn't we know that from the CT scan?"

"Yes," he replied. "But sometimes I can feel if there's something left. But there's not."

They discussed a number of other things; her history and some friends we've lost just recently to ovarian cancer. My college roommate's wife, for one. And a dear woman with 5 children Linda met several years ago in an ovarian support group. Throughout this round of treatment we've experienced many difficult things but also blessings in support from both those close to us, and total strangers. We are so tremendously humbled by all that's happened to us and for us that we simply want to wish everyone well in their journey with this disease. Because it is a journey, and we know the story probably is not ended. But for now Linda has a prognosis that is encouraging.

After some more discussion she asked the doctor, "What about chemo?"

"What about it?" he replied. "There's no empiric evidence that says doing more now will give you any added benefit. So the choice is yours, but you don't have to."

We are taking a break and saying prayers of thanks that the chemo, difficult as it is to tolerate, has again done its job. We'll focus our attention on family and the Christmas season. We've been through both Christmases and Easters (including one Easter Sunday in the emergency room for a mishandled interperitoneal Taxol treatment) and so we're grateful and hopeful that this might somehow stick. You'd think the cancer would get sick of trying.

For now I say, "Way to go, Linda." I can't repeat the language one of my friends left on my cell phone, a message of joyous profanity. Ya gotta love it.

God Bless. And I hope you all beat this blankety blank cancer some how or another.

Chris and Linda

Comments

• srwruns
    srwruns Member Posts: 343
    Options
    oh this is so awesome! So
    oh this is so awesome! So happy for you! Susan
  • mopar
    mopar Member Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    BEST NEWS OF THE DAY!
    Chris and Linda:
    PTL! That is such wonderful news. You must be elated! The holidays will be even sweeter for you. May the days ahead be blessed, full of health and joy! I to this,

"I hope you all beat this blankety blank cancer some how or another"

I SAY DITTO!

(((HUGS)))
    Monika
  • Mwee
    Mwee Member Posts: 1,338
    Options
    Wonderful news
    Ya gotta love it.... and I do!
    (((HUGS))) Maria
  • beth1465
    beth1465 Member Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What a great post! God can
    What a great post! God can do anything! Merry Christmas!

Beth
  • Hissy_Fitz
    Hissy_Fitz Member Posts: 1,834
    Options
    Wonderful news, Chris.
    I

Wonderful news, Chris.

I have done the requisite 6 doses of Carbo/Taxol and now 10 infusions of Taxol only and my toenails have developed dark purple bands at the base. I have heard that chemo sometimes causes toenails and/or fingernails to fall off.

Carlene
  • lindachris
    lindachris Member Posts: 173
    Options

Wonderful news, Chris.
    I

Wonderful news, Chris.

I have done the requisite 6 doses of Carbo/Taxol and now 10 infusions of Taxol only and my toenails have developed dark purple bands at the base. I have heard that chemo sometimes causes toenails and/or fingernails to fall off.

Carlene

Nail issues
    This was the first time she's experienced something like. I'll share with her that she's not alone. Hang onto those nails!

cc
  • kayandok
    kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Way to go!
    I agree with you, a break is the way to go. Congratulations on making it through cisplatin. i know how tough that one is. I have one nail that is bruising, and it is my first time to experience that too. I am on dense dose taxol/carbo, but currently on a 6 week break.

Many blessings to you and "ostukaresama!" (way to go!)

kathleen
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Options
    Good News
    Wonderful!!

I too have experienced toe nail loss with chemo. And now on my 4th regime am experiencing the toenail brusing on both with doxil.

Have a blessed Christmas and Happy New Year.

Living for Eternity,
    Libby
  • South Jersey
    South Jersey Member Posts: 89
    Options
    Wonderful news!!

Wonderful news!!
  • Cindy54
    Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
    Options

Wonderful news!!

Wonderful news!!