How many of you see a Naturopathic doctor in conjunction with your onocologist?

KathyLQ
KathyLQ Member Posts: 100
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I thought I'd start a thread about Naturopathic medicine. As a supplemental treatment with your conventional cancer treatments.

What has been success things that have come out of your meeting with a Naturopath?

Here's a short item from my experience.

My Naturopath had me tested for Vitamin D levels. I recently moved out of Calif., sunny Calif. Being the smartypants I am, I thought I'd be normal, after all, I had plenty of sun, right? Wrong. My Vitamin D levels came back very low. So I am now taking adequate Vit. D, my tests yesterday say it's back to normal.

Comments

• mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    i don't see one

i don't see one
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    mollyz said:

i don't see one

i don't see one

I don't see one, but some
    I don't see one, but some things to look into...

The Cancer Project, Food for Life program. They advocate a vegan diet, have cooking classes, etc.

AntiCancer: A New Way of Life. By Dr. David Servan-Schrieber. He is a two time brain cancer survivor, MD, and PhD.

Life Over Cancer. By Keith I. Block. Director of the Block Center for Integrative Cancer Treatment in Evanston IL.

Hope this helps. Merry Christmas.

Linda
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    My doctor tested my Vita D
    My doctor tested my Vita D recently. I am also a California girl and I too thought it would be fine. It was 13 and after 12 weeks of weekly heavy duty Vitamin D and daily smaller doses it is up to 32 which is the low side of normal. I will continue to take daily Vitamin D and they will test again in 4 to 6 weeks. My husband also had his tested and his was 20. His is up to 42. He also takes Vitamin D. My doctors are quite open to using alternative medicines to enhance the traditional. It is one of the many things that I like about them.
    Stef
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    fauxma said:

My doctor tested my Vita D
    My doctor tested my Vita D recently. I am also a California girl and I too thought it would be fine. It was 13 and after 12 weeks of weekly heavy duty Vitamin D and daily smaller doses it is up to 32 which is the low side of normal. I will continue to take daily Vitamin D and they will test again in 4 to 6 weeks. My husband also had his tested and his was 20. His is up to 42. He also takes Vitamin D. My doctors are quite open to using alternative medicines to enhance the traditional. It is one of the many things that I like about them.
    Stef

My oncologist tested me for
    My oncologist tested me for Vitamin D and I was fine, so, no need for extra supplements.

Hugs, Diane
  • beetle25
    beetle25 Member Posts: 150 Member
    DianeBC said:

My oncologist tested me for
    My oncologist tested me for Vitamin D and I was fine, so, no need for extra supplements.

Hugs, Diane

My radiation oncologist
    My radiation oncologist tested me for vitamin d, I was at 32 which is the low side of normal, was retested recently and I have gone up to 70. My doctor was very pleased. When it was suggested that I get tested I thought that it would be normal since I spend alot of time outside in the summer and in the fall my job requires me to be outside, however the use of sunscreen does not allow vitamin d into the skin and due to that I became low.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    not me
    I did not see one, but I have read about some natural remedies that can help with certain aspects. I would definitely advise seeing both Drs. (no just the naturalist)and be sure each one knows what the other is doing so that you are not working one against the other.

Live as well as you can for as long as you can, seof
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Kathy
    I started to see a Naturopathic dr last summer because I felt not quite right. He helped me in losing weight and also found out I had undx Lyme disease. He sent me to an Osteopathic dr for treatment. It's odd but when dx with bc I had to stop all forms of pills that Naturopathic dr had me on before surgery and because MD's didn't know how chemo would interact. I finished chemo 2 weeks ago but doubt that I'll return to the Naturopathic dr anytime soon. I do however eat more organic and free range foods than I used to. I decided to rejoin WW for my gained weight. I also start rads in January. I see a Rheumatologist for osteoarthritis and she checks my Vit D all the time. I take an extra 2400 IU daily since I'm not outside much.
    Char
  • KathyLQ
    KathyLQ Member Posts: 100
    cahjah75 said:

Kathy
    I started to see a Naturopathic dr last summer because I felt not quite right. He helped me in losing weight and also found out I had undx Lyme disease. He sent me to an Osteopathic dr for treatment. It's odd but when dx with bc I had to stop all forms of pills that Naturopathic dr had me on before surgery and because MD's didn't know how chemo would interact. I finished chemo 2 weeks ago but doubt that I'll return to the Naturopathic dr anytime soon. I do however eat more organic and free range foods than I used to. I decided to rejoin WW for my gained weight. I also start rads in January. I see a Rheumatologist for osteoarthritis and she checks my Vit D all the time. I take an extra 2400 IU daily since I'm not outside much.
    Char

Char
    I saw your note about Lyme.
    I have chronic Lyme disease. I probably was bit 2-4 years before I figured it out. Never a rash. Months on antibiotics.

It took me years to figure out where I got it. It was most likely my little pet fox terrier, she was infected... and any time a tick got on her, it got infected... and she dropped an infected tick into my bed. I had my little dog treated as well.

No fun fighting one disease like Lyme, now followed by BC!
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    KathyLQ said:

Char
    I saw your note about Lyme.
    I have chronic Lyme disease. I probably was bit 2-4 years before I figured it out. Never a rash. Months on antibiotics.

It took me years to figure out where I got it. It was most likely my little pet fox terrier, she was infected... and any time a tick got on her, it got infected... and she dropped an infected tick into my bed. I had my little dog treated as well.

No fun fighting one disease like Lyme, now followed by BC!

Kathy
    I had no idea where I got Lyme from. We built our house 7+ years ago and I used to do some gardening. Never had a tick bite that I saw or bullseye. Who knows! I was on antibiotics for 4 months until insurance said that was enough. Now the disease is dormant but from what I understand it can flare up again.
    Char