Sweating

Jean T. Szabo
Jean T. Szabo Member Posts: 193
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
At night am used to "hot flashes" getting all sweaty. This happened during the day a few times and it surprised me. In the store, at dinner; anyone else have this happen? Hot flashes or sweats during the day and night?

Comments

• Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    yeah, I'd get like that all
    yeah, I'd get like that all the time while on the medication. Tamoxifen and then Aromasin.
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member
    Oh yes - I got them while I
    Oh yes - I got them while I was having chemo. I still get them now that I'm on Tamoxifen, but not so bad. Might be because I take it at night before I go to bed.
    I don't have the night sweats anymore now that I'm off chemo, thankfully, and the hot flashes have gotten much less intense.
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • joannstar
    joannstar Member Posts: 403 Member
    Night Sweats
    Hi Jean.
    Yes, I am again getting hot flashes during the day and night, but mostly on my bald head. I have to reverse the pillow several times a night because it becomes damp. I am on T-C chemo (completed 5 of 6--yeah!).
    JoAnn
  • disneyfan2008
    disneyfan2008 Member Posts: 6,583 Member
    all day long...i put
    all day long...i put sweater,jacket on and off all day at my desk job...nights are the worst...
  • sal314
    sal314 Member Posts: 599 Member
    Very Common and Annoying!
    It helps to wear layers, that way when one hits you can peel them off. I have friends that literally carry an extra shirt, bra and underwear with them so if they have one that's a total soaker, they can change their clothes!!

I know it's gross, but nothing much you can do. Though they say Effexor (which is an anti-depressant) has been shown to help reduce hot flashes. So...many onocologist will prescribe it. I went on it and it does seem to lesson them quite a bit, but doesn't completely get rid of them.

Ahh....yet another "joy" of being a woman! LOL.

Sally
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    Jean
    I hate saying this but I've had hot flashes day and night for more than 10 years. Since I have no hair my head gets wet! lol I wake at night and can't get the covers off fast enough. Usually I get cold a couple of minutes later. It's certainly not fun!
    Char
  • mollyz
    mollyz Member Posts: 756 Member
    cahjah75 said:

Jean
    I hate saying this but I've had hot flashes day and night for more than 10 years. Since I have no hair my head gets wet! lol I wake at night and can't get the covers off fast enough. Usually I get cold a couple of minutes later. It's certainly not fun!
    Char

The chemo gives me hot
    The chemo gives me hot flashes really bad I'm hot one minute and cold the next i have an extra t-shirt or gown at night cause when one comes you get all sweaty it's terrible and with the wig it gets sweaty and then i go out side i have to wear a hat with the wig cause with no hair and the wig I'm scared I'll get sick. MollyZ
  • Lighthouse_7
    Lighthouse_7 Member Posts: 1,566 Member
    mollyz said:

The chemo gives me hot
    The chemo gives me hot flashes really bad I'm hot one minute and cold the next i have an extra t-shirt or gown at night cause when one comes you get all sweaty it's terrible and with the wig it gets sweaty and then i go out side i have to wear a hat with the wig cause with no hair and the wig I'm scared I'll get sick. MollyZ

OMG sweating is my middle
    OMG sweating is my middle name! Heck I'm sweating now as I type. LOL
    It is such an annoyance, but like everything else, I guess I've just gotten used to it.
    Have to keep layers on and miss wearing the sweaters of winter. Heck short sleeves are my friend these days and I live in New England!
    Oh I have to laugh because it's the old saying if life gives you lemons.........
    I just hope they will subside sometime while I'm still young enough to appreciate it.
    Night sweats are the worst part. Soak everything, but the daytime ones have gotten down to about 4 a day, not too shabby.
    Best of luck and keep cool!
    Hugs,
    Wanda
  • smalldoggroomer
    smalldoggroomer Member Posts: 1,184
    I had them for 11 years!! I
    I had them for 11 years!! I had a hysterectomy back in 1990 through me into menopause and it lasted 11 years. No fun... I am so glad I don't have to be bothered with that at this time in my life. I feel so bad for all you ladies that have to go through what we are all going through and still have Hot flashes. Take care and try and stay cool Kay
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    Oh boy, I had major hot
    Oh boy, I had major hot flashes. The good news, they go away or at least taper down. Mine were horrible through chemo and they slowly subsided. Next month will be one year since my last chemo and I only get them occasionally, and they're not as bad, or should I say they're tolerable. The reason I still get them occasionally is because they took my ovaries along with my bilateral, therefore I'm probably experiencing menopause, and I just turned 39 yesterday, yikes. Anyhow, they do get better, sweat it out sister and know things will cool off :)
    Hugs,
    Kari
  • Heatherbelle
    Heatherbelle Member Posts: 1,226 Member

Oh boy, I had major hot
    Oh boy, I had major hot flashes. The good news, they go away or at least taper down. Mine were horrible through chemo and they slowly subsided. Next month will be one year since my last chemo and I only get them occasionally, and they're not as bad, or should I say they're tolerable. The reason I still get them occasionally is because they took my ovaries along with my bilateral, therefore I'm probably experiencing menopause, and I just turned 39 yesterday, yikes. Anyhow, they do get better, sweat it out sister and know things will cool off :)
    Hugs,
    Kari

Kari -
    you look GREAT!!! i love your new profile pic :)
    *hugs*
    Heather
  • AMomNETN
    AMomNETN Member Posts: 242
    Yep
    I get them all the time. Night, day, it doesn't matter. Around home or with friends I just start fanning and tell them I'm flashing. It just goes with our treatment plans.

Janie
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
    Night Swears
    The worst for me is at night. I wake up freezing because I sweat through my clothes, the sheets and my pillowcase. I have to get up and change and put a clean dry sheet and pillowcase on my bed. Just something else to deal with. This too shall pass!
  • PinkPearl
    PinkPearl Member Posts: 280
    No Fun!
    They are no fun but I took Tamoxifen for 6 years as a breast cancer preventative and hot flashes were ever present it seemed. I think mine were actually worse during the day. I could put on my makeup and before I knew it I could actually see beads of sweat under my eyes! Good luck with them. I dressed lightly and in layers as others have said. Never really solved the makeup problem :)