Finished 4 rds AC Starting 4 rds Taxol Worried about mega dose of Decadron

NJMom10
NJMom10 Member Posts: 176
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I just finished 4 rounds of AC and I'm starting 4 rounds of Taxol. I've heard from most that the Taxol rounds are 'easier'. But I'm worried about the megadoses of Decadron I have to take to counteract any allergic reactions to the Taxol. I was taking 1 Decadron per day during the AC and experienced nervousness and insomnia from that. Now I'm taking 5 pills the night before and 5 the morning off the chemo! I brought this up to my onc and he just said, "well you probably won't sleep much the night before and the night of the chemo." Anyone have any experience with this.

Comments

• Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    I don't have any experience
    I don't have any experience with this, but, want to send you prayers and hugs. I'm sure that some of the sisters here will be able to post information for you.

Kylez
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Decadron keeps me up too.
    Decadron keeps me up too. And makes me eat like a starving person and pee like a horse. It hypes me up. Ask if there is something you can take to help you sleep. Luckily, it doesn't make me nervous--just hyper and unable to sleep. I use the extra energy to clean a closet or read a book.
  • TraciInLA
    TraciInLA Member Posts: 1,994 Member
    Similar experience, similar reaction from my oncologist
    Hi, NJMom -

I did 4 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan -- because of the possible allergic reaction to the Taxotere (which, I believe, is related chemically to Taxol), I also was on about the same Decadron regimen that you're describing.

And yes, my oncologist was about as unconcerned with my not sleeping as yours sounds.

So I came up with my own idea: They gave me enough IV Benadryl to down a cow before each infusion, and it made me very sleepy. I asked my oncologist: You're pumping me full of this stuff anyway, can I take over-the-counter Benadryl the night before and night after each chemo, to help me sleep? He agreed, and it definitely helped.

If Benadryl also makes you sleepy, can't hurt to ask your oncologist if this would be okay for you too?

Traci

(small disclaimer: There is some research to suggest that Benadryl makes Tamoxifen less effective -- I didn't start Tamoxifen until *after* I was done with chemo, so this wasn't an issue for me at this stage.)
  • scout5000
    scout5000 Member Posts: 94 Member
    taxol
    I also had 4 rounds of AC and then I made it through 3 rounds of Taxol. The Taxol was different from AC (less nausea) but also challenging. I didn't take Decadron in pill form but they gave me mega steroids in my IV during chemo. They also gave me lots of Benedryl in my IV which knocked me out. I took Lunesta (prescription sleeping pills) every night during chemo so I had no problem sleeping. I had to stop Taxol after 3 rounds due to numb fingers and feet (still have it 16 months later) and hearing loss (regained hearing). You could request Lunesta from your onco or primary care doc. I hope you breeze through your Taxol treatments. Sending positive energy your way.
    Scout
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    I had TAC, and yes the
    I had TAC, and yes the Decadron kept me up at night too. My doc prescribed Ativan for that, it helps with nausea too.

I hope the Taxol rounds go smoothly for you.

Hugs,

Linda
  • cahjah75
    cahjah75 Member Posts: 2,631
    My experience
    was slightly different. I had 6 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan. I took 2 Dex for breakfast & dinner the day before chemo and 2 for breakfast the following 2 days. I had an increase in hunger but didn't notice any trouble sleeping. Before chemo infusion I was given saline, antinausea, Benadryl and then the 2 cocktails.
    Char
  • pinkkari09
    pinkkari09 Member Posts: 877
    I had 4 A/C and 11 taxol.
    I had 4 A/C and 11 taxol. They gave me mega doses of benedryl too, it put me out like a light every treatment. At night I was up and down all night the first couple of nights. If I woke up at say 2 am, I would jump in a warm bath and go back to bed, it helped. I also had ativan, lorazepam, and sleeping pills, ambien. Hope this helps.
    Hugs,
    Kari
  • NJMom10
    NJMom10 Member Posts: 176

I had 4 A/C and 11 taxol.
    I had 4 A/C and 11 taxol. They gave me mega doses of benedryl too, it put me out like a light every treatment. At night I was up and down all night the first couple of nights. If I woke up at say 2 am, I would jump in a warm bath and go back to bed, it helped. I also had ativan, lorazepam, and sleeping pills, ambien. Hope this helps.
    Hugs,
    Kari

Adding my experience to my own post!
    Well I just went through the first Taxol and the Decadron made me hyper, but I was still able to sleep the night before. The benedryl is doing it's normal thing to me today so I'm sleeping today and I really don't think I'll be up all night tonight either. It just goes to show you that you can't worry about this stuff. You just have to arm yourself with as much information as possible, be prepared for anything and then get yourself through it!

Thanks for all the helpful hints and experiences. I really don't know what I would do without all you ladies to talk to. As everyone says, I'm sorry we are all here, but, I'm so grateful for you all too!
  • DianeBC
    DianeBC Member Posts: 3,881 Member
    cahjah75 said:

My experience
    was slightly different. I had 6 rounds of Taxotere/Cytoxan. I took 2 Dex for breakfast & dinner the day before chemo and 2 for breakfast the following 2 days. I had an increase in hunger but didn't notice any trouble sleeping. Before chemo infusion I was given saline, antinausea, Benadryl and then the 2 cocktails.
    Char

I am praying the Taxol will
    I am praying the Taxol will go smoothly for you.

Hugs, Diane