Christmas/Holiday Traditions - Unique/Different

Rague
Rague Member Posts: 3,653 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have a small candle lit tree. The most beautiful tree I've ever seen was candle lit and my small candle lit trees will never come close to it.

I also put out 'fuel' (carrots/hay/grain/etc.) for the reindeer. Everybody puts stuff out for Santa (be it milk and cookies or Bourbon) but the reindeer are the ones that are doing the work of pulling the sleigh so they need to be taken care of too. (When the boys were little and we had a chimmney Daddy or Hubby had to climb up on the roof to put the hay out for the reindeer as even in FL 'everybody know that Santa comes down the chimmney and the reindeer land on the roof'.) Goes back to my childhood in France. Pere Noel drives a single horse and you put your wooden shoes out with hay/grass/whatever you have. when you come home from midnight mass so the horse will have soomething to eat while Pere Noel visits you (At least that's how it was where we lived way back then.) So reindeer need to be fed. I have 2 different sets of kids that are going to help feed the reindeer this year - one is going out to the barn to help get the hay to bring home for the reindeer.

Susan

Comments

• fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    We always put carrots on the
    We always put carrots on the plate for Santa to take up to the reindeer on the roof. And Santa loved the can of beer we left with a note not to drink too much. Okay, we were so incorrect but our Santa needed that can of beer to put together bikes and doll houses. We still have a note that Denise had me write for Santa that read Daddy said that you get awfully tired of all that milk and a nice cold beer would be nice. So enjoy the the beer but don't drink too much and here's some carrots for the reindeer. Thank godness we didn't leave him a pack of cigarettes as I was a smoker until she was 5.
    Stef
  • ladyg
    ladyg Member Posts: 1,577
    Our holiday tradition
    was that every gift had to be wrapped. Shortly after my husband and I got married my mother bought my father a recliner. At the same time my sister bought one for her husband. Needless to say my husband and I were the ones who had a van. We had to go and pick them up from the store. Then while they were in the van I had to wrap them. Have you ever tried to wrap a Recliner???

Hugs,
    Georgia
  • Gabe N Abby Mom
    Gabe N Abby Mom Member Posts: 2,413
    We open gifts on Christmas
    We open gifts on Christmas morning...I make my kids wait till we all have breakfast before opening anything. That has been very hard some years (especially when they were little). I always thought that we needed some fuel before handing out gifts. Christmas breakfast has become a time of anticipation over the gifts Santa brought...that's when most of the shaking and guessing happens.

Merry Christmas everyone!

Linda